DennyP Travel

Earthquake

Posted By: Sonja_Z

Earthquake - 01/28/2020 08:16 PM

[Edited 12:23p PST]The USGS and the US National Weather Service just reported an earthquake off the northern coast of Jamaica (between Cuba and Jamaica) with a preliminary magnitude of 7.7. Tsunami warnings have been issued.

Please share any Information that you gather about conditions inHedo and Negril. I'm worried about those at Home.
Posted By: LyleM

Re: Earthquake - 01/28/2020 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sonja_Z
[Edited 12:23p PST]The USGS and the US National Weather Service just reported an earthquake off the northern coast of Jamaica (between Cuba and Jamaica) with a preliminary magnitude of 7.7. Tsunami warnings have been issued.

Please share any Information that you gather about conditions inHedo and Negril. I'm worried about those at Home.

I've been in communication with someone on the beach at Hedo. He reports that they don't know of any injuries or damage at Hedo. He said when the event occurred, it spilled some water from the nude pool into the bar area. Other than that, not much else was observed.

The staff have now urged people to leave the beach area due to concern about incoming waves. A Tsunami warning has been issued, and the prediction is perhaps 3 foot waves above the tide line.

I'll report any additional info I get from there.
Posted By: DennyP

Re: Earthquake - 01/29/2020 06:16 PM

Just heard from the resort. No known damage or injuries. Just a lot of shocked people.
Posted By: The Onanist

Re: Earthquake - 01/29/2020 08:36 PM

My understanding is that this week at the resort is a Lifestyles week. That being the case, I'm sure that the earth moved there for quite a few people -- earthquake or not.
© 2020 DennyP Travel Message Boards