Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,606,078 why WWW
641,097 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Martino's - what's the point?
#98615 10/27/2010 11:15 PM
K
Kristof Offline OP
OP Offline
K
This will not be another post about A/C problem at Martinos but about more general problem. In the beginning I have to mention that I'm not a high maintenance person when it comes to food. In fact over the past week I found food at the buffet to be plentiful and tasteful. Then on last night I decided to go to Martino's. What a mistake. the antipasto bar had selection of literally 6 items when last year it was at least twice as much; garlic bread had no garlic in it and my portion of lamb literally consisted of 4 bites of meat. On top of that veggies served with the dishes were not fresh but frozen and of course no Caesar salad because as we already know there is no salad in entire Jamaica. They grow all kinds of stuff on the island - coffe, bananas, mangos, ganja - but for some reason can't handle the salad. But enough since this is not my biggest problem. My question is as follows - since there is even no A/C at Martino's what is actually the point of going to this restaurant? The only advantage I can think of is the fact that it's quiet and perhaps it's easier to carry on a conversation. Other than this I find this absolutely pointless. I'd rather make my order at pasta station, get a hearty portion of a food and sit at the table with my friends wiping sweat off my forehead and having laughs. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Re: Martino's - what's the point?
Kristof #98617 10/28/2010 01:05 AM
S
S

Ditto

If you can read, thank a teacher. If you can read in english, thank a veteran.
Stoxnbonz #98619 10/28/2010 03:58 AM
G
Junior Member (<31 posts)
G
RE: the lack of some vegetables, the recent heavy rains on the island seriously affected some crops resulting in limited availability and very high prices. It will take some time to get back to normal and that's MAYBE why there is a recent lack of some vegetables at the resort.

Last edited by Gary & Suzie; 10/28/2010 03:59 AM.
Kristof #98622 10/28/2010 06:37 AM
T
T
Martinos? Did they change Pastafari's name?

tatlyn #98630 10/28/2010 09:16 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by tatlyn

Over a year ago, at least. The premise was it was a "branding" thing...same restaurant names at all the superclubs resorts.

LikePlaym8s
See you in early November
(& April/May if we can sneak away!)
LikePlaym8s #98632 10/28/2010 09:55 AM
W
W
Originally Posted by LikePlaym8s
Originally Posted by tatlyn

Over a year ago, at least. The premise was it was a "branding" thing...same restaurant names at all the superclubs resorts.

Yes, I thought it was over a year ago and now I remember that it coincided with the rebranding of the Grand Lido's to Breezes.

WSSkier #98634 10/28/2010 11:38 AM
C
C
I like Martino's because I like sitting with friends whose voices I can hear and for all of us to be served food at the same time.

I find in the dining room with the buffet that all that getting up and down doesn't make a pleasant dining experience for me.

I like sitting at dinner for 2 hours enjoying conversation, wine and food without all that up and down and noise that occurs in the main dining room.

We're each different so I'm glad we have choices.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
chris santilli #98636 10/28/2010 11:52 AM
P
P
I love salad, so after I order my entree,I go to the dining room and bring back a nice, big salad.
Like Chris, we go to Martinos, when we want to catch up on old times with friends. More quiet and intimate. Plus, for some reason, I enjoy the champagne more at Martinos. I also like having creme brulee for dessert. I'm not fond of the desserts in the dining room.

Hedo Hugs,
Lady Di and Hedo Lion
pafuncouple #98638 10/28/2010 12:13 PM
A
A
There were issues in Martino's long before the storm. Certainly the air conditioning was not functional- and still isn't. Was anyone there the week it stopped working? Just curious.

Anyway, the antipasto was very pared back when we were there in early September. The entrees were not well presented. In the past you could order a second meat entree- I always got the filet and the (5) lamb chops. This time I got two lamb chops, with maybe an ounce of meat on each.

I am still not of the school that says i will go elsewhere. I truly like the resort and the people I have met there. When you go to Hedo for your vacation make notes about your stay and present it to management a day or two before leaving. It is best to go in a group, the larger, the better. I would recommend that you talk to Kevin Levee, Lorna is a lovely person but Kevin is the highest ranking person in the house.

AdirondackPaul #98644 10/28/2010 12:40 PM
L
L
Martino's can be good too for those that like to get to dinner on the later side, especially during very busy weeks when arriving at the main dining room 8:30ish can have you searching for a table to eat. We like eating on the later side, partly to avoid the "down" time of between dinner & when the piano bar gets rolling, a reservations on the later side at Martino's helps with that.

Last edited by LikePlaym8s; 10/28/2010 01:09 PM.

LikePlaym8s
See you in early November
(& April/May if we can sneak away!)
LikePlaym8s #98645 10/28/2010 01:02 PM
M
M
I thought the renaming came after the fire at Pastafari and with it's re-opening. Am I wrong? When we were there last Nov. the air appeared to work there and the food was pretty good. I guess we'll see what it's like in a couple of weeks. I hope they can get the veggie/salad issue resolved before then.

We too like to eat there for the quiet intimate atmosphere and the ability to chat and enjoy a meal in relative climate control (though that appears not to be the case at the moment, ugh).

Sugncpl on SLS, Phillyhedocpl - Lust Till Dawn, SDC, LoveVooDoo, AFF
LikePlaym8s #98650 10/28/2010 05:09 PM
L
L
It's always had decent AC when we've been before... hope it's fixed soon. smile The food selection typically gets pared down during the slower times.

We like Martino's - the beef, lamb chops and pasta carbonara have always been very good. Sorry you hit a bad time for it. The name change was a little less than a year ago - was still Pastafari last Nov.

Cheers!

Chris smile

LikePlaym8s #98653 10/28/2010 05:53 PM
B
B
Oh, how I yearn for the three and four hour meals we enjoyed when I was stationed in Sardinia (Sardegna) in the seventies and eighties. We'd arrive in the ristorante around 8:30 or 9.00 order a round of drink and then settle into discussing the menu.

L'antipasto, which literally means "before the meal" and includes hot and cold appetizers such as crostini, bruschetta, and mozzarella in carrozza.

Il primo, or "first course" usually consisting of pasta, minestrone, risotto, or zuppa (soup).

Il secondo, or "second course," and is the main course - often meat, poultry, game, or fish.

Il contorno, or "side dish" which consists of vegetables such as melanzane (eggplant), spinaci (spinach), or insalata mista (mixed salad).

Il dolce, or "dessert," which includes such favorite sweets as tiramisù, torta della nonna (custard shortbread pie), or zabaglione (custard of egg yolks with wine and brandy). (Zuppa Inglesi was my favorite, a sort of trifle crusted with meringue.)

All accompanied by copious quantities of Rosso Sardo - the local red wine. Grappa and coffee to finish us off.

I haven't found a restaurant in Florida, where we now live, nor in Jamaica which offers an authentic Italian touch.

Make lounger-saving a capital offense! Contact your congressman today!

I'm too young to be this old, Dammit!
8th trip soon come - sometime
British Redneck #98661 10/28/2010 09:02 PM
B
B
British Redneck....you could have eaten all of the above at Martino's last week and still left hungry. Wife and I both said on previous visits that anyone who didn't like the food was picky. We are no picky eaters, and are in fact 50% redneck and 50%coon ass. This means we eat anything including road kill. I actually went to the room hungry after leaving Martinos. Yes I could have went to the buffet and found some average same old stuff but I am a man of principle.

We were disappointed in the food this visit and actually impressed the last two previous years. The consistant good food was breakfast, nude grill and Reggae Cafe. Perhaps they should take over the evening meals....

br549 #98664 10/28/2010 11:22 PM
W
W
One thing I've noticed is that nobody has said anything about the Executive Chef in months. Is he still there? cause I get the impression that the 'ship' is rudderless again. Maybe they did away with the position as a cost cutting exercise.

Over the last six years, I got the impression that unless an Exec Chef, or Sous Chef was riding the kitchen, things were typically mediocre-to-poor in the food department. If anybody remembers Michael Thompson (American from New Orleans), he pretty much said that was a major issue there.

Seems to me it shows poor management and a lack-of-pride from the kitchen staff if they cant remain consistent in the kitchen with just the basics they've been doing for a long time.

JMHO

WSSkier #98693 10/29/2010 07:54 PM
H
H
The A/C was working in Martino's in April. The name changed between last November and this April. Not sure exactly when. Exec chef was there in April but as stated have not heard it mentioned lately. Need to check the Hedo site.

HedoLiz #98697 10/29/2010 09:39 PM
H
H
Hedo website no longer lists the staff or tells about the property. This seems to have been the case since Superclubs closed/renamed Hedo III.
To stay on topic, the food at Martino's in April was very good, the atmosphere was not good, as I pointed out in a previous post.

Last edited by HedoLiz; 10/29/2010 09:41 PM.
HedoLiz #98704 10/30/2010 05:11 AM
A
A
I was at hedo for Buttcrack in April and i thought the food in Martino's was fine and i do not remember any issues with the atmosphere. (That might be age related!)

LikePlaym8s #98708 10/30/2010 10:01 AM
T
T
It was still Pastafari's last Christmas, just after the fire.

tatlyn #98712 10/30/2010 12:45 PM
R
R
At New Years it was still called Pastafari's. The tenderloin was excellent as was the rest of the meal both times we ate there that week. The A/C was adequate too. It was excellent overall for the food, though the drunken screaming at a nearby large table one of the nights was not a good thing for the romantic atmosphere. Overall though we have yet to ever have a bad meal there in many years. I hope that this rocky patch at "Martino's" passes quickly.

At the risk of being branded a hedo hater (again), I will admit that while the dinner at Pastafari was still very good in Janauary the "Antipasto Bar" was a real disappointment compared to what it used to be. It did not occur to me to go out to the buffet to get a salad as posted by some wise salad lover! Good Idea! Hopefully it will not be necessary in the future, but if it is I will definitely go out and grab a salad. When we were there at New Years the buffet salad bar was a shadow of its former self too, but it was still possible to make a decent dinner salad.
I hope that the food and Salad Bar/Antipasto gets back on the right track soon and that when it does the salad bar and antipasto table can regain their former glory! This is hopefully just part of the 'ebb and flow' of things at Hedo that gets better over time.
I think all resorts have up and down times to some extent, it's just not usually as notable because most resorts don't tend to have the same guests over and over as often as Hedo even with many going multiple times in a calendar year, and especially not with a message board like this were we all share our most recent experiences... good and bad! It makes Hedo a bit more under the microscope than most other resorts, and I think we need to remember that.
In any case though, let's be sure to fill out those comment cards so management doesn't ever start thinking the food is not important to us. There is nothing to be gained by letting them think we don't care about that part of our vacation experience.
Respect-
Roy

AdirondackPaul #98716 10/30/2010 01:20 PM
H
H
Not age related. Bad Girls filming related. We are 50+ and usually enjoy the atmosphere.

LikePlaym8s #98744 10/31/2010 06:33 AM
H
H
Talking to Staff last week they reported that many or most of the back country (read Farming Areas) roads continue to be washed out. The big rains from the storm did the initial damage but the daily heavy rains prevent repairs and keep them impassable. On the bus ride to the airport yesterday there were some coastal areas where the roads were still flooding and washed out due to the continuing run off. The Gleaner and the Observer have reported that the entire years road budgets have already been spent as a result of the storm and they are scrambling for money for further repairs.

“I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.”
Hunter S. Thompson
Roy in VA #98746 10/31/2010 08:34 AM
U
U
Never had a down time (concerning food) at the Riu resorts in Negril.
I have learned to bring cold cuts with me to Hedo. Consistently bad food year to year. I want to bring new friends with me in April but won't because i will never hear the end of it about the food
Mikey

you want to know about hedo,you want answers? You want the truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
UPSMAN #98749 10/31/2010 11:25 AM
A
A
The food at Hedo is not consistently bad, although it is inconsistent. For the most part, over 40 trips, I have been satisfied with the choices AND the preparation. The fact that they had a serious storm does not reflect on the resort.

I try to be even handed in my assessment and I will note when less than stellar circumstances occur. For the price I pay, I am satisfied. In addition to a good price I have 6 free days for 21 paid days in 2010.

AdirondackPaul #98854 11/03/2010 01:30 PM
H
H
The last time I was at Marinos was in mid September. There were numerous problems with our meal (for 8 of us) that night. For example, they were out of ravioli, even though the restaurant didn't appear to be crowded before we arrived. And as has been mentioned, the A/C wasn't working. We were clued into that as people departing the restaurant remarked how it was cooler outside than inside.

But the clincher was when we had desert. Five people ordered creme brulee. When it was served, the server said they had run out, and there were only 4 orders of creme brulee (which she had brought). So I settled for cheesecake. It turns out that I got the better deal, as the crust on the creme brulee wasn't crusty at all, and didn't taste right.

Hopefully, these were only problems that night (except for the A/C).

BTW, all Superclubs resorts [that had a Pastafari restaurant] call their Italian restaurant Martinos now.

Respect.

Last edited by Hedo-regular; 11/04/2010 04:09 AM.

The more you look, the more you see.
Hedo-regular #98862 11/03/2010 07:43 PM
C
C
Ravioli is back?! Hurrah! Just hoping they have it available when I'm there. It was off the menu last year.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
UPSMAN #98864 11/03/2010 08:26 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by UPSMAN
Never had a down time (concerning food) at the Riu resorts in Negril.
I have learned to bring cold cuts with me to Hedo. Consistently bad food year to year. I want to bring new friends with me in April but won't because i will never hear the end of it about the food
Mikey

We brought friends with us last April and we talked down the rooms and the food to such an extent that by the time they got there they were mightily impressed with both. Under promise and over deliver!

CandG
Hedo-regular #98865 11/03/2010 08:29 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Hedo-regular
The last time I was at Marinos was in mid September. There were numerous problems with our meal (for 8 of us) that night. For example, they were out of ravioli, even though the restaurant didn't appear to be crowded before we arrived. And as has been mentioned, the A/C wasn't working. We were clued into that as people departing the restaurant remarked how it was cooler outside than inside.

But the clincher was when we had desert. Five people ordered creme brulee. When it was served, the server said they had run out, and there were only 4 orders of creme brulee (which she had brought). So I settled for cheesecake. It turns out that I got the better deal, as the crust on the creme brulee wasn't crusty at all, and didn't taste right.

Hopefully, these were only problems that night (except for the A/C).

BTW, all Superclubs resorts call their Italian restaurant Martinos now.

Respect.

We noticed in August that the creme brulee tasted funny too. As for the heat and inconsistent air conditioning, we brought a rechargeable, battery operated fan in August ans it worked so well that we bought another one for our next trip. A fan has become a "must pack" item.

CandG
CandG #98874 11/04/2010 06:48 AM
I
I
I ate at Martino's three times in the past week. It was definitely cooler in there than in the dining room.

I was told by the chef that since the lettuce was washed out, they had to arrange to import this produce, something that they neer had to do. This takes time, with purchase, customs, etc.

I found the food and service in Martino's excellent. I had the fillet once and the lamb twice. The lamb was cooked perfectly (just past rare) and very tender. The fillet was equally tasty.

What I love best about the place is the great service and attentive staff.

If air conditioning is such a concern, go to some place off site. Seems that few complain about the heat at the Japanese restaurant.

Heso at Halloween is great. The Wild Bunch and the Bubbly Bears both welcomed me.

Ishtar aka Santa
Trip #34 Coming soon!
ishtar1 #98882 11/04/2010 09:40 AM
A
A
Chris

Its good you're coming down this Saturday, because the ravioli season is ending the week after, as it is the spawning season for ravioli's. They were overcaught in past years and the Jamaican government was forced to enforce the ban on harvesting ravioli's until early December.

This is the silly beach topic isn't it?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
israt jahan, WataView, Michael & Karen, JustinTara, Mary Beth
23574 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,331
HedoDiveMstr 5,122
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,922