Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,606,078 why WWW
641,097 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Minorities at Hedo
#98330 10/20/2010 04:39 PM
B
blueyes Offline OP
Junior Member (<31 posts)
OP Offline
B
Hey guys, please don't take this the wrong way ,i am only asking....
I have been reading and looking at pics , and noticed that the majority of the guests are caucasians , are majority of the guests white/ ? do colored ppl go diff weeks than
white guests? just curious as this place is supossed to be very liberal,open minded ,accepting of whoever, whomever or what your nationality, color, creed is..am i being to cynical? do colored or minority guests looked upon as outsiders or are they welcomed? i just thought to throw this out there as many colored folks probably would like to go but may feel out of place..

Last edited by DennyP; 10/21/2010 08:56 AM.
Re: Minorities at Hedo
blueyes #98331 10/20/2010 04:53 PM
C
C
People who are not white DO go to Hedo--my guess is that on average maybe 10% of guests are not white. Most of the staff is Black Jamaican.

I'd say that though people who go to Hedo may tend to be more open-minded than non-Hedo folks, I've still found prejudice by some Hedo people against various groups such as black people and gay people.

I've never seen a confrontation about it though so I'm guessing that most people with a prejudice keep their mouth shut.

Other people may have had different experiences though.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
chris santilli #98332 10/20/2010 05:03 PM
G
G
I have been going to Hedo since 2001 and have never noticed any problem in regards to differences in skin color - it's always been 1 big happy party when I have been there.

There are also several Hedo groups that have a large (no pun intended) black component including LoveVoodoo, Hedo's Mojo and others.

Gary & Suzie #98333 10/20/2010 05:25 PM
A
A
This is a very bizarre post. Our hosts are almost uniformly black. Black Americans are coming in sizable numbers. Do we need to specify how many Orientals and Hispanics are at Hedo? What about Norwegians or Finns? There are only "guests" and "staff" that I meet at Hedo.

AdirondackPaul #98334 10/20/2010 05:36 PM
O
O
It is what it is. People of all races, religions, ethnicities, etc. go to Hedo. I have never seen any discrimination of any kind at Hedo. There are some "groups" that might be more geared to "minorities", but that is about it. Don't worry about it!!

"Did I.Q.s just drop sharply while I was away?"

Aliens (1986)
Offshore #98335 10/20/2010 05:44 PM
H
H
Who's pics are you looking at? The resort promo photos? As there is no picture taking allowed on the nude side and it is limited on the prude side, the sample you have to look at is bound to be limited.

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
HoustonCpl #98336 10/20/2010 06:15 PM
H
H
Beauty is skin deep not about color....... Its a mixed crowd at Hedo but never was one to judge by what color anyone was

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #98337 10/20/2010 06:25 PM
E
E
Denny, this is just a suggestion, but you might want to consider changing the title of this thread if it is going to be allowed to continue. The term "C.F." is offensive.

blueyes - Thanks for clearing up any misunderstanding regarding that you meant no disrespect to anyone, but if the thread's title could be changed to something else more P.C., it would be the right thing to do.

Last edited by Endless Summer; 10/21/2010 06:22 AM.
Endless Summer #98338 10/20/2010 06:46 PM
B
blueyes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
sorry guys i did not mean to open a can of worms, i shouuld have maybe posted it as "minorties at hedo" i sincerly applogize for my actions ...Why i am asking this ? is we have friends from mumbai india visiting us this winter and we would like to take them to hedo...
I am well aware it is a black country, with black hosts, but what about ppl from other nations? ie: like india
Denny please feel free to change the name of the thread if you like

blueyes #98339 10/20/2010 06:49 PM
H
H
No problem mon!
We all colored people!
Red, white, brown, yellow, black, and those Canadians too!
LMAO I love my Canadian friends!

HedoDave
It's been one Hell of a ride!
HedoDave #98340 10/20/2010 07:09 PM
R
R
blueyes-
In case it helps you to know, there are a good many people from India and of Indian descent who live and work in Jamaica. In any case, anyone who is friendly and wants to have a good time at Hedo can have a good time at Hedo. The folks at Hedo are awesome and don't seem to spend time thinking about race or skin color. Personality is what it is all about at Hedo!
Respect-
Roy

HedoDave #98341 10/20/2010 07:20 PM
T
T
People of color might be a better term and this would be more inclusive and, of course, H2 is an all inclusive resort. The majority of the guests at this resort are working class "folks' from the United States so one can expect that they carry all the attributes and baggage that goes with such a group. Once someone becomes your friend, ones ethnicity becomes, in most cases, an non issue. There are creepy obnoxious individuals of all backgrounds and it is easy but very wrong to associate the most easily identifiable characteristic of the obnoxious one with that unbearable behavior. From years of visiting the island, I can say that just because ones ethic background is close to that of a local person does not necessarily make that person a brother or a sister. A very good friend of mine from New Orleans who is AfroAmerican could not quite understand at first why the higglers on the street attacked him before they did me. I pointed out that we were both easily identified as American tourist regardless of race but that he always dressed much nicer than I and , therefore, he would appear to have more money. Money is , indeed, color blind.I have seen unjustified acts of prejudice toward others from all the different types of guests. Usually, however, people of all backgrounds get along very well. I have seen some people surprised, I think, at who their newly acquired best friends are.

T-38 #98345 10/20/2010 10:51 PM
C
C
In my experience, the percentage of "colored folks" at Hedo is about the same as the percentage at the average bar or restaurant or supermarket at home in the US. No problem, mon. We all shine on......Jake

PS - I've met both black and white Jamaicans working at Hedo, too.

HedoDave #98346 10/21/2010 04:05 AM
A
A
I would simply tell the initial poster that the "politically correct" way to say it is, "People of color", not colored people. When one relects on the difference between the two ways to say the same thing, we realize how stupid society is today. It is what is in our hearts and not words. Blueyes, had you mentioned your friends in your first post it would have made all the difference.

AdirondackPaul #98347 10/21/2010 04:46 AM
H
H
I once had a friend of Indian descent who owned a hotel in Negril. He was Jamaican born and raised, and it was really interesting watching him so comfortably speak with his Jamaican accent.

HedoDaveKY #98349 10/21/2010 06:34 AM
S
S
In my mind the "blending in" that happens at Hedo is seemless. If there are those who would not mix with other races, they must keep it to themselves quite well. Status and class distinction goes away when the clothes hit the floor. That's one of many things I love about Hedo.

Not as good as I once was; but once, I'm as good as I ever was.
Seattlenative #98350 10/21/2010 06:45 AM
J
J
I'm "white" (from America) and my wife is "black" (from Honduras). We were at Hedo II last year at this time and other than a few black dudes (from a country unknown) saying, "Look at the sister with Sean John" as we walked by we experienced nothing but a great time.

I'm also with Chris S saying it's about a 90% 10% mix. Why is that? That's just who books to go, no other reason.

Thanks,

Endless Summer #98352 10/21/2010 07:02 AM
D
Online Content
D
Originally Posted by Endless Summer
Denny, this is just a suggestion, but you might want to consider changing the title of this thread if it is going to be allowed to continue.
If the topic poster requests the title be changed I will be happy to do that.

Last edited by DennyP; 10/21/2010 08:48 AM.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
DennyP #98354 10/21/2010 07:10 AM
A
A
What is this the 50's "colored people" ? Im a young woman of color taking my first Hedo trip next week. Hope all are welcoming =)

One love!
amaris #98355 10/21/2010 07:54 AM
B
blueyes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
dENNY PLEASE CHANGE THE TOPIC NAME...i again appolgize for my choice of words , i did not mean any harm to anyone .
Just my goofness , going forward i will be carefull what words i use. I got a lot postive feedback and i will bring my friends ..jai ho...

amaris #98356 10/21/2010 08:14 AM
E
E
Amaris - All are welcome at H2 and you will have the time of your life next week. The folks on this board consider H2 their second home and you are a very welcome addition.

Respect,

Endless Summer
blueyes #98357 10/21/2010 08:51 AM
D
Online Content
D
The "Rename Topic" function is not working. I am contacting the software vendor for assistance.

Last edited by DennyP; 10/21/2010 08:51 AM.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
DennyP #98358 10/21/2010 08:56 AM
D
Online Content
D
Obviously I figured it out.

blueyes #98359 10/21/2010 09:04 AM
L
L
I too am wondering what pictures you are looking at - superclubs website, brochure, or somewhere else? We've always found the census at Hedo to fairly represent what we'd find in our local town back home - as far as ratio of caucasian, african american, asian, etc. Heck - fat/skinny/tall/short/bald....all fairly represented!

Now if you're only looking at the superclubs suppled info....I too would be wondering when is the resort filled with only the young/fit body types and nothing else!?!?!

LikePlaym8s
See you in early November
(& April/May if we can sneak away!)
LikePlaym8s #98360 10/21/2010 09:08 AM
D
Online Content
D
Paid models are used in SuperClubs advertising for the most part.

amaris #98365 10/21/2010 10:36 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by amaris
What is this the 50's "colored people" ? Im a young woman of color taking my first Hedo trip next week. Hope all are welcoming =)

Amaris, rest assured that you will be welcomed by all. Who you are is what's important at Hedo. What you look like is unimportant. Sometimes there are more people of color there than others, but everyone fits in well. I have never even heard a racially insensitive remark at Hedo, much less any sort of outright discrimination or nonacceptance. Have a great time!

CandG
CandG #98368 10/21/2010 12:54 PM
K
K
hey we are going next week also...my wife is of indian decent(india) , i am half indian ..hope we have fun,

kingass #98369 10/21/2010 02:00 PM
H
H
Ladies and gentlemen i speak for the true Hedonites when i say all are welcomed at Hedo as long as you dont have an attitude.

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #98370 10/21/2010 02:17 PM
W
W
I can't imagine how utterly dull life would be if we were all one colour, or size, or shape.

Walter.

Don't ask me what I do for a living! It's boring and I don't want to talk about it.
WalterandMay #98374 10/21/2010 04:48 PM
S
S
Well said, as always Walter. When we were there last June, we saw couples of all colors, met people from India, Canada and England, and it all comes down to one thing. We're all just people, with the same wants and desires, we all feel the same love for our children and families, we all have our own struggles. WHO CARES what color we are? I sure don't.

Respect every color.

kim mustafa
sexymanswife #98377 10/21/2010 05:10 PM
B
B
The only color of skin I frown upon.....Bright Red and Glowing...
Sunburn can ruin your Vacation for days......

HedoDave #98424 10/23/2010 04:59 AM
D
D
What? You mean there are colored people there. I hadn't noticed. LOL Everybody is the same to me. Two arms, Two legs, a body, a head, oh and they even have feet. I'm just teasing. I look at people the same. I treat everyone the same. I don't look at what color someone's skin is, because there is no such thing as white people, we are flesh tone(like HedoDave put it-red, white, brown, yellow, and black). I look at how they treat me. When we go on vacation, there is only one thing on our minds. How much fun are we going to have this time! Blueyes, I hope you and your friends have the best vacation in your lives!! And if you do go to Hedo II, there is no way that you all won't have a great time, so book it now!!

Dr. Denny #98425 10/23/2010 06:30 AM
J
J
One thing I see a lot of people saying is the "I'm color blind" thing. That's all well and good and I do understand why people break that one out. But...

...it's okay NOT to be color blind. To recognize the differences and unique challenges that minorities are faced with is something that can be a good thing. To dismiss the fact that a person outside the norm hasn't had extra challenges and new concerns might not be the best path.

When my wife was at Hedo and Breezes she spoke with a lot of the employees and a lot of them asked her about her hair. (she's got "sister locks", Google it). There was a bond between guest and hotel staff that others might not get.

Negril is a wonderful place, and a place safe for all.

Chad

Just plain Chad #98431 10/23/2010 10:55 AM
T
T
Well stated, Chad. We all are prejudiced to some degree. Positive prejudice, if that is a valid term, is to be, perhaps, appreciative of differences. Anyone that says that they do not notice diffences is being a little disingenius.I certainly appreciate the opportunity afforded me in being in Jamaica all these years of experiencing being a minority. No offense is usually meant when one is called whitey and I know who is the Chiney guy or the Indian guy. I know which person is the black person and the light skin person. I have met the real dark guy who reminded me so much of my Irish descended uncle that I almost forgot whom I was talking to. I recognize the understandable prejudices of the average Jamaican and appreciate their good manners in not displaying that prejudice while around me.I realize that some have really accepted me when they do express some prejudice and really forgot that I was a member of the targeted group. I do realize that I am a white tourist from a properous country and that I will never be a Jamaican, even a white Jamaican, no matter how hard I try to speak Patois. And, I am afraid that my AfroAmerican friends will have not much more success. A fairly recent development is the cases of Jamaicans who went to the US as very young children and as adults committed some crime which resulted in their deportation back to Jamaica. Like toddlers in a crowded room, we seem to be able to find each other. I ask them how they are doing in Jamaica with perhaps no known relatives, no ready employement and no Patois.They reply in their American accent that it is very hard and they do really experience prejudice, especially in the job market. I am so saddened at the attempts of some young Jamaicans that feel that they should use chemicals to lighten their beautiful skin. This ,in particular, is a awful effect, in so many ways,of evil prejudice.A friend of mind who had a lighter skinned sister was actually, as young child, dunked in bleach by her mother who wanted a lighter skinned daughter. Some of the home concocted chemical mixtures can be so harmful.Jamaicans of all hues are, in my opinion, some of the worlds most attractive people. What a unique place in the world!

Last edited by T-38; 10/23/2010 11:07 AM.
T-38 #98432 10/23/2010 11:17 AM
P
P
GO AND HAVE FUN. NUFF SAID.

Hedo Hugs,
Lady Di and Hedo Lion
Dr. Denny #98434 10/23/2010 11:25 AM
K
K
Originally Posted by Dr. Denny
because there is no such thing as white people,

Really? Have you ever seen Walter? That dude is white... laugh

I have nothing really to add to the conversation because so many have already said it very eloquently before me. I will say that one of the coolest things that I took away from Hedo on my virgin trip was simply this. You meet the nicest people nekkid. It's like all the things that concern people on some level out there in the "real world" about class or color, or fashion or religion or politics or weight... don't make a damn bit of difference at all. Introduce yourself, grab a drink, shoot the shit, have a bunch of laughs, and get a NBH from your new best friends.

One love...

"Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park... Enjoy the ride" - Anthony Bourdain
kandb42 #98437 10/23/2010 01:16 PM
P
P
Kandb42, a perfectly written post. You said it all.:-)

Hedo Hugs,
Lady Di and Hedo Lion
pafuncouple #98441 10/23/2010 04:16 PM
K
K
Nuff said is exactly right..this thread should be put to rest now...I sincerly beleive now after reading all these posts that hedo is a place like no other and everyone is welcome with open arms, ..i beleive if everyone went to hedo once in their lifetime ,the world would be a better place as hedo really opens ppls eyes to acceptance, wether your color blind or not, fat,skinny, ugly ,model, who cares just go and have fun and the week your there the world stops ....to all minorities, there really are no minorities at hedo ,only loving ppl of color.

kandb42 #98448 10/23/2010 09:08 PM
W
W
Anybody who notices my glowing white ass more than they notice May's brilliant glowing smile has serious, serious problems for which they should seek therapy.

I'm talking to you Karl!

Walter.

Don't ask me what I do for a living! It's boring and I don't want to talk about it.
blueyes #98495 10/25/2010 05:46 AM
C
C
Just got back and wanted to comment on this thread. We have been to Desire twice, which had almost no minorities. So we were surprised and delighted that so many Jamaican and African Americans were at Hedo. The Jamaicans we met love the resort, and they don't have to pay airfare!! Some of them visit every couple of months!!
I would put the ratio at around 30 to 40% minority, which is not really a minority!! All shades of skin were represented, even saw one asian couple. We are white, and happily made friends with people of every color! It was wonderful! If you are outgoing and want to make friends, you will not have any problems.
There were many mixed couples as well, which we don't see often here in the boonies of Texas. Sometimes I wish we could move to a more open-minded place!! Oh well!

Cowgirl
8th trip: Dec. 2018
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
israt jahan, WataView, Michael & Karen, JustinTara, Mary Beth
23574 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,331
HedoDiveMstr 5,122
Roy in VA 2,759