Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,601,447 why WWW
639,712 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hedo III Bars
#66123 04/05/2007 09:06 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I have read alot of trip reports about the bartenders that work at this place and go very very slow if that fast to get you a drink and slower if they know they are not going to get some kind of tip from you. whats up with this??? have they gotten use to the people sliping them tips. so now that is what they are looking for now??? maybe all them tips (of any kind) have made them suck at the job now. That is to bad to cus us new people (first timers) are the one that suffer the most but I have read the same of couples that have been going for yrs

Re: Hedo III Bars
#66124 04/05/2007 10:24 AM
T
T
Elvis, do not worry about this teensy little thing. Maybe some go a little slower than others, maybe some do not. They work more hours than we would ever consider in our own lives and maybe the service reflects that they can have off days, too. They are humans, too. But also remember that Jamaica is Jamaica, and EVERYTHING seems slower. This is a good thing. As you relax in the sun enjoying your vacation, would you really want to have the atmosphere behind the bar the frantic hub-bub of a night club back home? Wouldn't that just put "stress in the air" so to speak? If you find your drink is taking a few seconds or a minute longer than it should, turn to someone sitting at the bar and introduce yourself. Just as you get a good conversation going, your drink will arrive. Now worries mon! Relax. It's only a drink, and your vacation shouldn't be ruined if it takes longer to get it than it might back home. If it is, you really do need the vacation.

The other advice I have is to get to know the bartenders. Call them by their name - they all wear nametags. My favourite bartender last year was there again this year. The fellow that poured my first drink in paradise greeted me with the biggest smile when I arrived and went directly to the bar to get my first drink of my second trip. I never waited for a drink (from him) the whole trip. And, I never tipped him either. Speaks for itself.....

B & J

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss
#66125 04/05/2007 10:32 AM
S
Junior Member (<31 posts)
S
We were there end of August last year and I have to say that I never had to wait for a long period of time for a drink. The bartenders put in a lot (and I mean a crazy number) of hours a week. And their pay is not great by our standards. Be polite, don't be rude. Talk to them, get to know them. They all do wear name tags so call them by their first names. If you show them respect they will show you the same in return. smile
Keep in mind you are on vacation, and the pace at Hedo is slower then the real world. That's one of the reasons we all go there!!! (I know there are multiple others that I'm not listing) eek Just go, kick back and relax. And for the record we never tipped once while there and the service was GREAT!!! cool

#66126 04/05/2007 12:33 PM
M
M
Elvis....Just a thought but I think if you count to ten, take 3 deep breaths, you're going to enjoy your trip so much more...(when are you going)
Like others said these guys and girls not only behind the bars but in the dining room, other restaurants to the maids and ground keepers, etc etc...work there butts off and more often then not in horrible heat and yet I'm always met with a smile and really good service....and no I don't tip (could cause the employee their job) but like others said I greet them with a smile and I make a point of getting to know their names and pass the moment with some warm small talk....Attitude and Actions, Elvis....they'll take you everywhere or leave you behind......

#66127 04/06/2007 09:34 PM
F
F
Originally posted by elvis4662:
...and slower if they know they are not going to get some kind of tip from you. whats up with this??? have they gotten use to the people sliping them tips...
We just returned last week and we had the best bar service we ever had out of our 6 trips...and we DO NOT TIP! At the main bar the bartenders were even refilling wine glasses or making new drinks even before we asked. One tip is to actully talk with your bartender the first time you meet him or her. Introduce yourself and treat them like a friend, not an employee of the resort! I feel this goes way further than throwing them a couple bucks their way! Only problem I had was in the Disco, and that was not lack of effort, but it is so loud in there communication can be a problem!

HEDO AMIGOS´┐Ż ~ April 14th-22nd 2018
www.facebook.com/hedoamigosrock
#66128 04/07/2007 06:17 AM
W
W
We had heard the same thing about the bartenders getting lazy and all but demanding tips...
And we had noticed the service declining on each subsequent trip. But when we were there on our most recent visit in November the bar service was nothing less than exemplory!!!!
There were many new faces behind the bars and even the veteran barkeeps were working at top velocity! It was like the hedo we first visited back when they first opened up!
I can only deduce that hedo management had been perusing this board and decided to shake things up and put things back right again regarding service. So I'm pretty sure that this particular issue is not a problem anymore.

Anyhoo, what many posters have said is also true. The pace in Jamaica is much slower than in America. So you do have to get yourself into the "island time" mindset. This is actually one of the most therapeudic elements of Hedo and jamaica in general. Once you have managed to "slow youself down" to Island time Everything is just better, and You become happier. (look up "Irie" in your English to jamaican translator...LOL)
Until you manage to get to that state however, the slow moving nature of the Jamaicans can be a bit aggravating. The only way to combat this is to "sink to their level" and Re-adjust yourself to Island time. (sort of like getting assimilated by the Borg) Once you manage to do that your hedo Vacation has truly started!

"I'd rather die while I'm living, than live when I'm dead"!
Jimmy Buffett
#66129 04/08/2007 04:49 PM
B
B
Originally posted by Face Down In Hedo:
We just returned last week and we had the best bar service we ever had out of our 6 trips...and we DO NOT TIP! At the main bar the bartenders were even refilling wine glasses or making new drinks even before we asked. One tip is to actully talk with your bartender the first time you meet him or her. Introduce yourself and treat them like a friend, not an employee of the resort! I feel this goes way further than throwing them a couple bucks their way! Only problem I had was in the Disco, and that was not lack of effort, but it is so loud in there communication can be a problem!
I'll have to agree with this concept. Talking to the employees is much cheaper than tipping them...and you might actually gain a new friend or learn something REAL about the country.

We've never had a problem getting good service or a drink within a "reasonable" amount of time. I've had a big problem with people actually tipping the bartenders/housekeepers/servers etc. *on the sly* because it diminishes the atmosphere that the resort promotes. We go there to have a vacation FREE from having to pay *extra* for services that are already included in the price. If I go there and see someone slipping money to a bartender, I tell the management right away. Once they get used to getting extra money or "gifts" for their service...people that *don't* extend that gratuity will suffer in one way or the other.

#66130 04/16/2007 07:23 AM
C
C
We returned home last night and though it appreared we were on a off week, not crowded, but we never waited for a drink and the bar staff at the main bar, the nude bar, the scotch bonnett, were all excellent.
Paul + joan

Live, Love, Enjoy Life.
kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2011. http://www.kittennangel.com/index.html
#66131 04/16/2007 10:00 AM
A
A
We've always had great service from all the bars, and we don't tip.

There's no place like home! There's no place like home!

Next Trip: ???????
#66132 04/16/2007 11:01 AM
I
I
Nice Job, Bill and Wendy. rat out the poor staff for taking a few bucks and get them fired frown

#66133 04/16/2007 11:19 AM
E
OP Offline
E
They should not be taking money and doing the job they are hired for and not be saying "Take care of me Mon and Ill take care of you" No way take care of me cus it is your Job!!!

#66134 04/16/2007 12:57 PM
F
F
I agree 100 percent with Elvis. I have seen in a few posts about the willingness of the staff to take tips . Not what the ai is about.

#66135 04/16/2007 04:00 PM
P
P
Maybe this has been said already BUT, Tipping the bartenders & staff is the reason we can't find our favorite staff members when we return. They get fired for that!!!!!!We tried to tip a couple of staff members that we had befriended during our previous trips and they informed us that we were able to leave gifts only if we made sure and in writing that the gifts were for them. ( all legal like) So the moral of the story is " don't tip and have fun and maybe our favorite staff we still be there on our next trip home "

#66136 04/17/2007 05:47 PM
W
W
Those of you who try to tip...Shame on you!
People who insist upon tipping are not helping the employees. They are screwing them by causing otherwise excellent people to wind up losing their job.
That's sure a nice way to show ya care......

Jimmy Buffett
#66137 04/18/2007 09:23 AM
I
I
The fact is many do tip and it comes out to about 1/3 of their meager income. You have bars everywhere pretty much serving 24/7 so it is hard to buy the story that tippers are ruining the service level for others.
If you do choose to tip of course be discreet.

#66138 04/18/2007 06:12 PM
W
W
The simple fact is,
Tipping is not allowed.
Employees WILL be fired if they are caught accepting a tip.
People who insist upon placing an employee's career in peril just to make themselves feel like they are somehow "helping" said employee are selfish jerks.

But go ahead and tell yourself whatever you have to in order to justify it in your own mind.

Jimmy Buffett
#66139 04/27/2007 01:06 PM
J
J
Here is suggestion for people who would like to say thank, you might I suggest bringing candy bars for them. My understanding is they don't have chocolate and sweets as much or the money to spend on it.

You wouldn't be jeopardizing someone's job, but you might be making someone's day.

I had no problems with service last year. The only bad thing was they ran out of bananas one night. Guess the dirty bananas were too popular, and that could happen anywhere.

#66140 04/28/2007 06:10 AM
G
G
Originally posted by Jim & Kristy:
Here is suggestion for people who would like to say thank, you might I suggest bringing candy bars for them. My understanding is they don't have chocolate and sweets as much or the money to spend on it.

You wouldn't be jeopardizing someone's job, but you might be making someone's day....

Agreed! I always bring some chocolates for everyone. They especially love Hershey Kisses. The simplest things that we could care less about is like gold to them. And yes, it does make their day without the risk of losing a job. By the way, Kevin at the main bar, he is our man. He has always taken care of us and even if it's busy, relax man, it's Jamaica.

5th trip to H3 August 13-23 2k8

"Ye mon, no problem, it's Edo Tree"

www.myspace.com/gmgianni

http://groups.myspace.com/HedoIII
#66141 04/30/2007 08:27 AM
E
OP Offline
E
It seemd to me that it would be the same thing as tipping but with sweets and not money, Some of them are saying they want you to help them as they help you(as in getting service) so where is the stopping point?

#66142 04/30/2007 10:18 AM
I
I
Limit two hershey kisses per drink... :rolleyes:

#66143 04/30/2007 04:37 PM
G
G
Okay, so then just don't do it. To each his own. That simple. I don't do anything nice to get anything back. I do it to be nice and thoughtful. If you see it as a problem or similar to tipping, so be it. There is your stopping point, not mine. I don't get a drink faster if I bring a Snickers to the bar. If you are kind and have manners towards people and treat them with respect, that's enough. Sometimes it is crazy at the bars and we wait just like everyone else. I don't complain, I just sit back and enjoy the fact I am there. A bag of Skittles isn't going to "put anyone over the edge" or going to get anyone in trouble like it's a secret drug trade.

If you feel this is going to be a problem and ruin your vacation, I feel for ya. I think you are taking it way too seriously. There are many bars, there is enough alcohol for everyone. It's all good, it's Hedo. Enjoy.

www.myspace.com/gmgianni

#66144 04/30/2007 09:46 PM
E
OP Offline
E
ALL I AM SAYING is that I read alot of trip reports all over the web and the bar is the biggest prob with the H-3. and it is over the tiping and service.

#66145 05/01/2007 03:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am a woman, I always get great service at the bar at Hedo III. A nice smile and great conversation is what alot of them enjoy. Of course, candy and treats sounds like a good idea!

#66146 05/01/2007 05:01 PM
K
K
Elvis - the thing you have to remember is you're in Jamaica. EVERYTHING they do in Jamaica is on a different time warp - it's in Jamaican time. "No problem, mon" means make yourself comfortable, I'll get it when I have a chance. Relax, enjoy vacation, you're not on a busy work schedule, talk to the people waiting beside you, it could be the greatest wait you've had.

Cheers,
Kat

#66147 05/01/2007 06:59 PM
D
D
Originally posted by elvis4662:
ALL I AM SAYING is that I read alot of trip reports all over the web and the bar is the biggest prob with the H-3. and it is over the tiping and service.
I didn't tip, and while I may have waited for a drink for a few minutes once or twice, I managed to keep a nice buzz going for an entire week. Don't worry about getting a drink. Get to know the staff, smile, and relax. That's all you need.

Diane and Michael
#66148 05/01/2007 07:58 PM
R
R
I don't tip as I don't want to get anyone fired. In approx 9 trips I never had any trouble at any of the bars at H3, at H2 I have had trouble at the main bar, with the bartenders going to people I had seen tip. 10 more days. Wayne

#66149 05/02/2007 05:20 AM
A
A
We always get good service at the bars and we always bring gifts for a few of the people that make our trip extra special but we don't give them until we are leaving, so the good service that we get is not based on us giving tips as we go.

We have never had any trouble getting served. If the bar is busy you can't really expect to be served immediately, so we just wait.

Only 32 more days!

Anne

There's no place like home! There's no place like home!

Next Trip: ???????
#66150 05/03/2007 02:10 PM
G
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anne&Carl:
[QB] We always get good service at the bars and we always bring gifts for a few of the people that make our trip extra special but we don't give them until we are leaving, so the good service that we get is not based on us giving tips as we go.

Amen. Thank you! Have Fun Anne & Carl!

www.myspace.com/gmgianni

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Freddiecat, MaxnRoxie, BBC4urWife, Morgaine, Mitch&Jennifer
23560 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,316
HedoDiveMstr 5,121
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,920
Chicago Jake 1,760
Hedobill 1,356
diane 1,304
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 9
Risu 3
LyleM 3
roy 3
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics10,466
Posts117,902
Members23,560
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
dlscuba, Donna & Don, hedo happy, Hedocat, mtcblark1, saskcouple
Who's Online Now
1 members (spreglguy), 62 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod