Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,681,814 why WWW
661,877 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Timers at Hedo
#147001 07/27/2022 03:44 PM
B
Junior Member (<31 posts)
OP Offline
B
The wife and I decided to be spontaneous and booked a week at the end of September. We have never been to an adults only resort and are very much looking forward to the adventure. We got a premium ocean view room without a hot tub. From what I been able to find it looks like this is a 2nd floor room with a balcony and that all sounds good to us. Having the balcony sounds like it would be a nice place to hang out on when we want to be away from the crowd.

Speaking of crowds, what kind of scene can we expect in late September. The group events on the main website looks like there will be 6 groups (we are not with a group) that will be there the same week we are going. I am assuming it will be a fully book resort for the week but, was wondering if anyone has any thought on what we can expect?

How strict are they with smoking grass outside of the designated areas? If I did try, I would not do it near anyone but wondered how strict they are or if they do anything other than tell you to stop it.

Also, the themed night sounds fun but, in reality the wife and I are not into dressing up. I had read that there are pajama and toga nights but I am not seeing those listed currently. Those are two events that seemed more our style mainly because we wouldn't have to buy any special attire for the event.

Thanks for any info/advice anyone has and thanks for all the info that I have already found on this site.

Re: First Timers at Hedo
BertTheChill #147002 07/27/2022 06:47 PM
C
C
We've been several times in Aug & Sept a handful of years ago. In those past years, it's been consistently slow and relaxed in those late summer months... generally around 50% occupancy. We've really enjoyed that aspect, since there are plenty of folks to chat with, but things aren't crowded. If things have changed so drastically that it's nearly fully booked, that would be surprising.

Smoking has never been an issue, as long as it's been done politely. And the theme nights are fun, but it's fine to just wear whatever's comfortable and enjoy seeing the interesting outfits that other folks wear. In past years, PJ night was Tuesdays and Toga night was Thursdays. You can always get some easy street cred by harking back to that. Enjoy!

Chris in NC (previously VT & FL) smile
2 members like this: Lucie73, BertTheChill
Chris_in_NC #147004 07/28/2022 09:50 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info!

The only reason I am thinking it might be crowded is that the number of groups that are scheduled to be there during our stay and when I have tried to look at the options for a few of the groups, their online registration says they are sold out or some similar message. But, I would enjoy a 50% occupancy if that does end up being the case. Either way we are happy to get away with just the two of us in nearly 6 years.

That is good news about smoking. Honestly the thought of being baked all day with nothing to do but lay at the beach, eat and lay at the pool sounds like a dream lol

1 member likes this: Lucie73
BertTheChill #147006 07/28/2022 01:30 PM
C
C
Sounds like you will be happy at Hedo doing your thang! The costume nights just started changing quarterly in 2022. The hedo website has details. Many folks dress up, but you won't feel odd not doing the theme costumes.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
chris santilli #147007 07/28/2022 05:32 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by chris santilli
... but you won't feel odd not doing the theme costumes.
Not that there's anything wrong with feeling odd at Hedo.

-- (Signed)
A Guy Who Feels Odd At Hedo No Matter What He Does

BertTheChill #147008 07/29/2022 08:51 AM
C
C
Perhaps we all go to Hedo to DO our odd thang?

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
2 members like this: roy, roy
BertTheChill #147009 07/29/2022 09:42 AM
P
P
Some of the upper walkways have little smoking areas where you can sit and chill. Relaxing.
However, you might want to bring your own ashtray as the Hedo ones seem to vanish.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
chris santilli #147010 07/30/2022 05:30 AM
R
roy Offline
R
"Odd Thing"....you make my heart sing...you make everything...groovy!!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
1 member likes this: Chicago Jake
BertTheChill #147012 07/31/2022 07:51 AM
C
C
The only thing i'll add is that late September is still in hurricane season - even if one doesn't hit, it's still the rainy season. Get up early if you want to enjoy the sun - and you may want a lightweight bit of rain gear. Enjoy!

BertTheChill #147013 07/31/2022 05:06 PM
S
S
Regarding the rain, for many years we went every year in mid-September and mid-April. The amount of rain seemed about the same in September and April with occasional afternoon showers. We are set to go again this year in mid-September, the first time back since the pandemic.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the last time a hurricane hit H2 was before 2003. Anyway, I have photos from 2003 with the large boat beached by point village and I am assuming a hurricane beached it. It was still there in 2006. Matthew was supposed to hit in 2016 but it missed.

sonorandog #147014 08/01/2022 04:22 PM
C
C
Interesting about the rain comment, sorora: I leave early April and arrive first week in December, so we're sorta on opposite schedules. The rainy season starts around the time I leave (no coincidence) and progresses thru the summer/ early fall. As for hurricanes, we're probably talking technicalities; the last few years several named storms ran thru the alley between the east end of Ja and the west side of DR. So while the island didn't technically get hit, I'm sure the whole island had "weather" as a result. And hopefully I didn't scare anyone off - Hedo is about the PEOPLE - the rest is just decoration. Regardless of when you go, it's the people you meet who'll make your trip fantastic. Enjoy!

1 member likes this: roy
BertTheChill #147015 08/02/2022 03:11 PM
B
OP Offline
B
A hurricane is the only thing that I am worried about. I can deal with rain or thunderstorms but, I really don't want to have to worry about a hurricane. This is our first trip as a couple in about 5 years and only our second trip since the pandemic. Vacationing with the family just isn't really a vacation for me. We are very much looking forward the trip rain or shine.

BertTheChill #147016 08/02/2022 07:47 PM
S
S
Hurricanes are big, slow moving things that are easy to track. You might have to tweek your trip a little but it can easily be done.

In 2018, we were scheduled to fly to H2 through Charlotte when Florence was supposed to hit there. AA made it easy to move the flight... and one e-mail to Denny and the H2 reservations and transportation were taken of within a couple hours.

1 member likes this: BertTheChill
BertTheChill #147017 08/03/2022 07:32 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Yes, I assume we should be able to plan for the worst if a storm is heading to the island.

Unfortunately we did not book through Denny. We actually didn't know about booking as a group when we decided to plan our trip. It was a last minute, screw it, I'm sick of being so self conscience about our looks and just go for it kind of thing. Now that I have read more I think it would have been beneficial to book with a group.

I just tried to sign up for the Club MonBay and they are booked up on our arrival and departure dates. Kind of a bummer but I am sure we will survive. And we are on a waiting list so there is a possibility someone will cancel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on getting from the airport to the resort? We can do a bus shuttle service but I think we would prefer a taxi service if it isn't too expensive. I saw a post somewhere about Rocky's Taxi and Tour Service as an option and it looks like it is $80 to get from the airport to Negril. This seems like an ok option but wondering if anyone has any opinion on the topic?

BertTheChill #147018 08/03/2022 09:06 AM
L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by BertTheChill
Yes, I assume we should be able to plan for the worst if a storm is heading to the island.

Unfortunately we did not book through Denny. We actually didn't know about booking as a group when we decided to plan our trip. It was a last minute, screw it, I'm sick of being so self conscience about our looks and just go for it kind of thing. Now that I have read more I think it would have been beneficial to book with a group.

I just tried to sign up for the Club MonBay and they are booked up on our arrival and departure dates. Kind of a bummer but I am sure we will survive. And we are on a waiting list so there is a possibility someone will cancel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on getting from the airport to the resort? We can do a bus shuttle service but I think we would prefer a taxi service if it isn't too expensive. I saw a post somewhere about Rocky's Taxi and Tour Service as an option and it looks like it is $80 to get from the airport to Negril. This seems like an ok option but wondering if anyone has any opinion on the topic?

I prefer private transportation vs. the shuttle bus type transfer. I've done both many times and like the convenience of a private transfer. I've used Rocky's Taxi and Tour Service many times over many years and it's always been a great experience. Very professional and reliable service. I highly recommend it.

BertTheChill #147019 08/03/2022 09:50 AM
T
T
Unfortunately we did not book through Denny.
As someone who has booked trips via Denny for the past few years, I cannot sufficiently emphasize what a huge mistake this was.

I'm given to understand that this has been a big problem with Club MoBay this year (a victim of their own success, I suppose). My trip isn't until the end of the year, but I booked with them back in June.

I've never hired Rocky's but I have used a private car service the past few years and would strongly recommend it, regardless of whom you choose. Also, booking round trip (airport-hotel-airport) would be a good idea as well.

1 member likes this: CharlieV.
BertTheChill #147020 08/03/2022 01:10 PM
C
C
Another good transport option is Mr. Reasonable (Linley Grant) at linleygrant@yahoo.com or 1-876-357-3267. His wife Anna used to be a bartender at Hedo. I've used him for years. ALWAYS on time with fast service.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
1 member likes this: roy
BertTheChill #147021 08/03/2022 02:37 PM
K
K
We used ZHU Keeper. New business run by Michael who was the head bellhop for many years before being let go last year by the new management. New car, great service and on time both ways. Nice to support a small business owner who is an old friend after many trips to Hedo. Michael can be contacted at michaelasemota815@gmail.com or 876-487-0818.

chris santilli #147022 08/03/2022 03:15 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by chris santilli
Another good transport option is Mr. Reasonable (Linley Grant) at linleygrant@yahoo.com or 1-876-357-3267. His wife Anna used to be a bartender at Hedo. I've used him for years. ALWAYS on time with fast service.
I second this emotion. Linley's the best!

BertTheChill #147023 08/03/2022 07:55 PM
S
S
Unfortunately we did not book through Denny. We actually didn't know about booking as a group when we decided to plan our trip. It was a last minute, screw it, I'm sick of being so self conscience about our looks and just go for it kind of thing. Now that I have read more I think it would have been beneficial to book with a group. ?

You did good. You made your first reservation. Presumably, there will be many more in the future. Also, no sense in being self-conscience.I am reasonably sure that everyone there wishes they looked better but nobody really cares.

I book with Denny because I believe his rates will match or better anyone's including the groups. And if things go south on the trip, I trust that he will resolve the issues faster and better than anyone out there (note that it took me several trips to figure this out).

2 members like this: DennyP, CharlieV.
BertTheChill #147024 08/04/2022 04:49 AM
R
roy Offline
R
Another vote for Linley. We've used his service for many years now.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
1 member likes this: The Onanist
BertTheChill #147025 08/06/2022 01:18 PM
L
L
In 16 years we only were reprimanded once for smoking weed. We were far from others, ironically enough we were in a designated smoking area for a change.....We understood when we saw 2 police cars pull up nearby a few moments later😁

Last edited by Lucie73; 08/06/2022 01:20 PM.

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
chris santilli #147026 08/06/2022 01:36 PM
L
L
My odd thing in past trips is to decide EVERY night at Hedo is lingerie night. I start the evening by wearing my lingerie to dinner with is not unusual at Hedo. Pasties and a sarong/beach wrap are also acceptable as dinner attire.
Sometimes you will see groups deciding on their own theme nights separate from the Hedo designated theme night. I was intrigued one year by a group theme ' f**ked up fairy tales '....spent the following year eagerly planning my Alice in Wonderland costume. It was a blast although everyone thought I was Cindy from the Brady Bunch LOL.Once dressed up like Marilyn Monroe in a long ballerina dress just because I liked the idea of channelling Marilyn and my family thought John and I had renewed our vows !!!

Last edited by Lucie73; 08/06/2022 01:39 PM.

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
BertTheChill #147027 08/06/2022 08:09 PM
C
C
Re: hurricanes, the odds of one impacting any particular week or 2 is remote. More likely, you'll have a couple of hours of rain in the afternoon a few days each week.
For airport transportation, there are a bunch of great drivers that are routinely recommended here. Linley Grant was good the time we used him. Our long-time drivers that we've used several dozen times each are Biggs & Michael. Both are great - dependable, easygoing and know the area well. Biggs # is 876-410-0536. Can't recall Mike's offhand.

2 members like this: BertTheChill, CharlieV.
BertTheChill #147028 08/08/2022 12:17 PM
R
R&N Offline
R
For trip #35 ( 1st week Feb 2023) we of course booked through Denny in March of 2022

Just got confirmation on Club Mobay for arrival 1/29 & depart 2/8 so we don't have to worry on that.

Fourth time with Rocyy's Taxi. Main reasons other than the obvious of a quicker drive
No long wait for the bus to fill up. (has been over an hour wait before leaving MBJ
No time wasted stopping at other resorts on trip from MBJ + the almost mandatory stop the buy beer on the way which makes no sense giver the unlimited free drinks at H2)
During COVID trips March of 2021 & Feb of 20 22 we felt safer with the driver wearing a mask
than a bus
No time wasted stopping at other resorts on trip to MBJ

We find that some advance planning makes it feel like going "Home" is always just around the corner.

36 trips so far. #37 early Feb 2022
Have moved from "The Library" to the less crowded C-O beach.
1 member likes this: Lucie73
BertTheChill #147029 08/08/2022 04:07 PM
D
D
Please keep in mind that discussions regarding transfers should be posted in the Jamaica Chat forum since they are not resort related. Thank you.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
BertTheChill #147032 08/13/2022 04:28 PM
S
S
I like to book transfers with Sun Holiday Tours through Denny. They transfer directly to Hedo. No stops at any other resorts and no stops at roadside bars.I like Sun Holiday primarily for two reasons: 1. The only people on the shuttle are Hedo people. Let the party begin! 2. I don't have to small talk a taxi driver for an hour and a half. We have ridden the shuttle with many fun and interesting people including Harry.

JTL is the economy shuttle and I prefer to avoid them. They do stop at other resorts and at roadside bars. I used to use them for transfers but they could find many new ways to make the journey into an adventure.

Last edited by sonorandog; 08/14/2022 09:21 AM.
BertTheChill #147039 08/15/2022 06:57 PM
L
L
We have had fun on the JTL shuttle when it was near empty having an awesome visit with various drivers .AND when it was full one time trying to interest another couple into going to Hedo instead and having their complete attention and AWE !!!! The joke was on us in the end when they got off the shuttle with us at Hedo and laughingly announcing that they had been coming at Hedo for decades !!! During Covid we started taking private transportation . I was thrilled to talk to the driver non stop for 90 min. because turns out he was a former Hedo staff member that I adore.

Last edited by Lucie73; 08/15/2022 07:01 PM.

BertTheChill #147049 08/19/2022 12:27 PM
C
C
We always have fun playing "who are the Hedo people" at the airport and on the bus. smile
We do taxis to Hedo most times. Done both JTL and Sunholiday a bunch and both are fine. They're a little cheaper, and sometimes included when we book thru Denny. We typically pay ~$70 each way for a taxi. We've often taken the bus back to MoBay when it's been included, since that's just about as fast as a taxi. Not so for the ride TO Hedo, when the bus can be 30+ minutes more, due to waiting at the airport and an extra stop or 2.

Charlie's comments are spot-on. The early mornings (like before 10am) are sublime at Hedo. Quiet, and a nice time to say hello to the staff that's getting the beach ready for the day. The weather's typically good until early afternoon, when there's a decent chance of rain for a bit. A couple of little umbrellas are nice to have just in case... so you can wander around and fetch snacks & drinks if it's rainy.

Last edited by Chris_in_NC; 08/19/2022 12:30 PM.

BertTheChill #147053 08/19/2022 02:57 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the replies and info. Good stuff and super helpful.

BertTheChill #147093 08/31/2022 05:52 PM
M
M
We just late booked with Rocky with his fancy Toyota Crown private car. I asked for some special request as well (food, etc..) and have very impressed with his customer service!

Will be fun!

BertTheChill #147094 08/31/2022 07:58 PM
D
D
I guess I have to repeat what I posted a few messages above ... I will have to lock this topic if future postings continue in this vein. Thank you.

Please keep in mind that discussions regarding transfers should be posted in the Jamaica Chat forum since they are not resort related. Thank you.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
BertTheChill #147122 09/21/2022 06:43 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We are a few days away from our trip and it looks like is a storm is potentially heading its way to Jamaica too. I am hoping for the best and watching the weather updates. But it does look like next week it is going to be a rainy one frown

BertTheChill #147123 09/22/2022 06:37 AM
S
S
That is the normal forecast for this time of year. We are in Jamaica now and about 2 out of 3 days we had a little rain. The rain lasts about 1/2 hour usually and has been around noon. It is easy to work around.

BertTheChill #147124 09/22/2022 07:25 AM
D
D
There is a tropical system forming in the West Indies that needs to be watched for further development.

DennyP #147125 09/22/2022 09:56 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Yes, that tropical system that is forming is the one I was talking about. NOAA is forecasting it going just to the south of Jamaica over the next 5 days. But it is still looking like it will be very close. I imagine the island will get winds and rain from it regardless.

Now I guess we need to decide if we should try and reschedule the trip or just go and deal with maybe crap weather.

BertTheChill #147126 09/22/2022 11:24 AM
C
Online Content
C
The Jamaicans have a name for rain: "Liquid sunshine, mon!" It is rarely a big problem at Hedo and rarely lasts long. Of course, a hurricane is another story......

BertTheChill #147127 09/22/2022 11:44 AM
T
T
We are a few days away from our trip and it looks like is a storm is potentially heading its way to Jamaica too. I am hoping for the best and watching the weather updates. But it does look like next week it is going to be a rainy one frown
Look on the bright side: the outdoor bars have a roof; sometimes, when it rains, many folks huddle together at the bar to get out of the rain -- good way to make new friends when everyone is all cozied up

Also, there is the possibility that you might be able to discover some interesting indoor activities to occupy yourself. cool

2 members like this: Sonoranbitch, roy
BertTheChill #147130 09/22/2022 03:55 PM
D
D
I've been at the resort for 2 hurricanes. Neither was a direct hit on the west end. We managed just fine for the couple of days of bad weather.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
JaywhyTurtleCove, radarrogue, Standfas, SPX33, LonnieR
23805 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,585
HedoDiveMstr 5,130
Roy in VA 2,760
Bunz z 1,929
Chicago Jake 1,802
Hedobill 1,356