Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,634,800 why WWW
648,747 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Last Straw
#146286 10/05/2021 04:50 PM
R
OP Offline
R
As I was reading another thread (the Trip Advisor one) I thought and was about to add to it with how this is becoming the last straw, but didn't want to hijack the thread. Sooo....

We are approaching our last straw now. Next year we have zero plans to go back, and who knows after that. The new charges for diving, the firing of long-time, well loved staff, staff being openly allowed to yell at us and continue to harass us as we tried to walk away and now the allowing of photography on the nude beach with no consequences.

It is getting to be not as much fun, and with all of the travel hassles with testing both directions, filling out form after form, its enough.

What is/was your last straw in deciding to not go to Hedo anymore?

Judy

Re: Last Straw
repeatoffender4th #146287 10/05/2021 05:36 PM
W
W
Yeah, the last straw.
We are fighting that feeling, but, we are getting there too, the tipping point is not to far off.
With all the travel restrictions and conditions, and tests before and after, and poor staffing at airports (long delays), and airline responses to travel (shifting flights) etc., we may never travel again. Not to mention the reluctance of the Jamaicans to get the vaccine. As much as we love Jamaica, we do not wish to avail them of there health services.
It appears from another thread, that H2 is not serious about testing for covid (get the guest out of here seems to be the attitude) . BUT, to be honest, I would rather make the trip home and discover that I had covid, than be stuck in Covid Island, or Jamaica. BUT/AND just to be cautious, we will be wearing N95 masks when ever we travel regardless.
Will we ever get back to H2, I sure the hell hope so, but it gets more difficult with each passing year. Unfortunately our life clock is ticking down. I did so enjoy H2 as it was under Super Clubs. Harry has done a wonderful job of upgrades, but it's not the H2 of the past.
We are booked for April 2022, but time will tell if we actually make it there.

repeatoffender4th #146289 10/05/2021 08:17 PM
C
C
My boat is with you two....We'll go at least one more time.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
repeatoffender4th #146290 10/06/2021 02:33 AM
D
D
We also have plans to visit at least one more time, trip #25 would seem to be a good number to stop.

repeatoffender4th #146291 10/06/2021 06:09 AM
C
C
We are fortunate that this becomes a personal decision and not one made for us - e.g. the place is bought by Marriott and turned into a family resort. We should all be very thankful that we are where we are - and thank Harry while you're at it.

Now, in making decisions that I know can be more emotional than not, I personally put aside my typical Aquarian "gut decision" approach and get out paper and pen and build a + / -- table listing in the two columns the things I like and those I don't. I then look at the things I don't like and figure out which I can change and which I can't. I then get some folks who normally agree with me and those who don't to look at it and critique it. For me, these types of decisions are worth the effort.

If you come down this winter, you'll know where I'll be. Say "hi".
Respect.

1 member likes this: roy
repeatoffender4th #146292 10/06/2021 06:13 AM
R
roy Offline
R
Our last trip was 1/2020. We were scheduled for this week, but cancelled about a month ago...with the news of increased Covid cases. That being said, we may go back in 2023...probably will be our last. But boy did we have a great run over our 46 trips?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
repeatoffender4th #146293 10/06/2021 06:20 AM
L
L
My decision whether or not to visit Hedo is driven purely by my own assessment of the travel risk due to COVID, both for the airline travel I'd need to complete and the conditions in Jamaica and Hedo. I'm really not bothered by the things people are reporting that are happening at Hedo regarding groups, etc. and I AM grateful Harry and his team are putting forth the effort and funding to keep the place operating as best it can in these challenging conditions.

1 member likes this: Lucie73
repeatoffender4th #146294 10/06/2021 08:24 AM
H
H
Trying to accept that one's Hedo days are probably over is very painful. The pandemic, I hate to say, eases that decision just a little bit. After 38 or so trips one would think that a person has had his fill of anywhere but, this doesn't apply to this very special place. I've never left without crying a little bit but could never understand why. We first went when it was Negril Beach Village, saw the upturn and then the downturn with Super Clubs and then saw the magic that Harry brought. Times and people change but I hope there'll always be a "Hedo." We'd love to go just one more time.

2 members like this: David & Qian, roy
repeatoffender4th #146295 10/06/2021 02:18 PM
B
B
We need to segment this discussion into 2 parts.
First: Hedo belongs to the owners, not the customers. The owners will (and should) cater to those that will give the club the best chance of surviving. That target customer has changed and many of us are no longer in the target group.
Second: the target group (as I see it) is younger and more party oriented as opposed to our group which was more "fun" oriented(even when we were young). We did stupid and infantile things and had a blast doing it. Talking is not in the current groups zone. Dancing and yelling is.
Third: the current management is making hard business decisions. That is why scuba is gone(almost). That is why many of the staff was let go. Those decisions made weighing the cost versus the benefits (and loss). Management is more than willing to lose me when it feels it can pick up 3 new customers in my place.

We were last there just before Covid hit. That was our last trip. We found the pool to be controlled by the loudest group. That is fine if that is what you want.

And just to piss off many of the regulars:

Hedo is not and never was home. You live there 1-2 weeks a year. It was a fun place to go, but not home. If you consider it home, you have a pretty poor home life.

I have seen many times on this board "I love Jamaica". That is said by people who have no idea what Jamaica is like. I have been to at least a dozen other Caribbean islands and just about every one of them is more desirable than Jamaica. The only thing in Jamaica that drew us was Hedo. To those who "love" Jamaica, just go and spend three days each in Mobay and Kingston. When you finish, post your love here on this board.

Well, I guess I have pissed everyone off enough.

3 members like this: Chicago Jake, Eclectic, CharlieV.
repeatoffender4th #146296 10/06/2021 02:29 PM
P
P
I guess the question then might be, where in the world is the next potential Hedo? This can't be the only spot. . .

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Bookie13 #146297 10/06/2021 02:35 PM
C
C
I'll join you in receiving flak, Bookie...I agree.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
Parracky Parrot #146298 10/06/2021 02:37 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Parracky Parrot
I guess the question then might be, where in the world is the next potential Hedo? This can't be the only spot. . .

I've never found anywhere else like Hedo's ambiance from the 1990s. Now Hedo is more like an English-speaking Desire on steroids with some single people thrown in, IMO.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
repeatoffender4th #146299 10/06/2021 02:52 PM
C
C
For me, it’s the increase in the off-season single occupancy surcharge from 25% to 50%. This makes no sense when the resort is less than half full. It doesn’t cost them any extra to only have one person in a room. This will add hundreds of dollars to the cost of my usual 10 day September visit.

Last edited by Carter; 10/06/2021 02:55 PM.

1820.281N, 7820.570W - The true location of Paradise
(the intersection of Delroy Ave. and Scumba Rd.)
repeatoffender4th #146300 10/06/2021 07:22 PM
H
H
To those who "love" Jamaica, just go and spend three days each in Mobay and Kingston. When you finish, post your love here on this board.

Bookie13,

I've been to those places. I've spent way more than 3 nights in Mobay. In Kingston, I think it was 2 nights, with the 3rd up in the hills overlooking Kingston.
I've also spent nights in Runaway Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach, and Mandeville.
In addition, I've driven around the whole island of Jamaica during various trips.

And yes, I love Jamaica.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
repeatoffender4th #146304 10/07/2021 09:03 AM
C
C
Re: the "love Jamaica" rant.... We've been to a handful of other Caribbean destinations, and Jamaica has been our favorite by a wide margin. Reason being that (from our experience at least), the Jamaican people are genuinely friendly, laid-back, and welcoming. A couple of examples:

On our 1st trip (to the now-defunct Enchanted Garden resort in Ochi), we went to Shaw Park Gardens, then walked a couple of miles back to our hotel on small roads thru the woods. It started to sprinkle. We passed a (very) modest little house. The couple sitting on the porch called to us, asking if we'd like to get out of the rain. We thanked them, but were fine with the liquid sunshine, and appreciated the offer.

On many of our trips to various resorts on Negril's West End, we chatted with the local hustlers, dealers, and merchants. With almost no exception, they were delightful to talk with - even though it was clear that we weren't buying anything. And in one of the few cases when a hustler was pestering us, a local lady yelled at the sketchy young lady hustler (for several minutes), and chased her off.

The contrast between Jamaica & Mexico was particularly stark IMO. In Mexico, when you tell a merchant or huslter 'no thanks', they may mutter a gringo slur. In Jamaica, the response was almost always something like "No problem mon... I'll be here if you change your mind".

So, though the "home" moniker is a bit smarmy, we've definitely felt genuinely welcomed in Jamaica.

One other final comment... The thing we've been most bothered by over the years has been the firing of some of the excellent staff. This really pissed us off when Kevin took over, and continues to more recently. All the other gripes are pretty minor for me. (Though indeed, the free scuba was a major draw. With that gone, the financial equation changes a fair bit, and perhaps we'll set our sights back on the many other boutique-y resorts on the cliffs.) smile

Chris in NC (previously VT & FL) smile
2 members like this: roy, Lucie73
repeatoffender4th #146307 10/07/2021 10:13 AM
K
K
I have to love the poeple complaining about scuba changes. These same people don't seem to have any concern when the divers take over the snorkel boat and displace those that want it used for snorkelling and/or glass bottom boat rides. We won't go back if the dive boat is down.

repeatoffender4th #146309 10/07/2021 11:43 AM
L
L
Historical observation................

It seems to me in the 38 years I've been visiting Jamaica, that the Jamaicans and Jamaica tourism organizations promoted Jamaica as our home away from home and often greeted us with "Welcome Home", often even at the airport, so many people are likely conditioned by that idea.

Other's may remember it differently, but that's how I remember it.

repeatoffender4th #146312 10/07/2021 07:18 PM
C
C
Having dove and snorkeled many times at H2, I don't remember any time that divers overtly muscled out folks on the snorkel boat in my 40+ trips. A few divers now and then... yes. Enough to displace half the boat... no. More often the snorkel boat and dive boat both went out 3/4 full.
And sadly... I'd bet that the reduction in free diving will have a serious impact on the snorkel crowds.

repeatoffender4th #146317 10/08/2021 01:56 PM
K
K
Maybe I could have worded that differently. My issue is divers seem to have a higher priority than snorkelers or glass bottom boat people. If the dive boat is down the 11 AM snorkel trip is cancelled so the divers can use the snorkel boat and have their second trip of the day at 11 AM. They already used the snorkel boat at 9AM for their first dive. In May, I suggested that maybe the divers and snorkelers could alternate days to use the 11 AM slot. Or move the snorkel trip to 10 AM. I was told no to both suggestions. Snorkelling will only be offered at 2 PM. More than 1/2 the days by 2 PM is was too windy to go out or raining. Why can't the divers take the 2 PM time slot for their second dive? Like I said before, I'd prefer not to go if the dive boat is down because I know snorkelling will be cancelled.

P.S. I would not have any issue paying a nominal fee to snorkel since that isn't something everyone likes to do.

repeatoffender4th #146321 10/12/2021 12:51 PM
R
R
I remember nine years ago walking through the resort on our way to catch the airport bus. After a very late night with a lot of great times - maybe our best trip ever - we were walking through the place before anyone was awake. I said to my wife, "you know, I think this place has run it's course...I think this will be it for us." She, always the reluctant one agreed and we walked through the lobby and jumped on the bus.

We've since then we've been back once and have gone to other places.

Still, I can't wait to get back.

repeatoffender4th #146325 10/12/2021 08:55 PM
C
C
Koolio, I agree. It makes perfect sense to have the divers go later, since snorkeling is much more dependent on calm water. Aside from the real issue there of having no backup when a boat goes into the shop.... Perhaps the reason the scuba takes precedent is staff scheduling... since the dive boat requires 2-3 rather highly-skilled staff vs. 1-2 lower skilled staff for snorkeling. (And the 2nd dive typically takes ~30 minutes longer than the snorkel trip.)

That aside, I love the idea of adjusting the 2nd dive time if needed to allow folks to snorkel. I can't remember any times I've been when they've been down to just 1 boat and bumped the snorkel trip, but I'd be all in for adjusting the dive schedule if necessary so everyone can have fun.

repeatoffender4th #146326 10/16/2021 01:33 PM
R
R&N Offline
R
We've only been "Home" 36 times so maybe we still have some things to learn. Yes, the "resort" has gone through many changes both to the physical plant and the "feeling" from seeing some of our beloved staff depart.
But when I step back and let reality take hold, I do have to admit the truth is that you can't "go home" again. This phrase isn't just about H2. At 76 I have done many things, traveled to many countries, met some amazing people, and have many wonderful memories.

Occasionally I get sad that just as we miss good friends who are no longer with us, we can't re-live some of what I remember as wonderful times, then reality kicks in and I realize that life moves on. While I occasionally think it would be nice to race down the water slide or party till 2 AM or have Scumba and Delroy make me another Dirty Banana for my breakfast. It's also true that I can't enjoy Venice beach in Calif or drive my race car to another win. That's life. Time moves on. We went "home" in Feb 2020 just before things went crazy. This year we did some extra planning and decided that despite the actions of some we wanted to return. We masked up in our car at the airport parking and didn't take them off till in our room at H2. We already have reservations for Feb 2022 and will take similar precautions because too many are still behaving poorly. What we expect to do is to lay on the beach and drink a bit too much. While we are not up for partying till 2 we will reminisce about the good times we have had and the great friends we have made over the years. It's called life.

Last edited by R&N; 10/16/2021 01:34 PM.

36 trips so far. #37 early Feb 2022
Have moved from "The Library" to the less crowded C-O beach.
repeatoffender4th #146327 10/16/2021 08:42 PM
C
C
Very nicely said - well done. It's true... our days of closing down the disco at 5am are in the rear view mirror. But we still enjoy going to relax, enjoy the crazy vibe, and chat with the (now rather few) remaining staff from the past 10+ years. We're looking forward to going back when the pandemic issues have subsided. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Jj34, sunkissme, ronp, Kdfree!, Jamaica Jim
23661 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,412
HedoDiveMstr 5,124
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605