Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,628,751 why WWW
647,135 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recent Covid info
#146082 08/02/2021 12:06 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi folks - Curious if anyone here has any recent info. The "Our favorite Jamaican vacation place" facebook group had a number of posts indicating that quite a few people tested positive recently - at least several before leaving the resort (and hence having to quarantine in Jamaica) and bunch of others were positive just after returning home. Sounded like the number was fairly significant - like several dozen people total.

We're booked to return in December, so this bears watching over the next couple of months.

Chris in NC (previously VT & FL) smile
Re: Recent Covid info
Chris_in_VT #146083 08/02/2021 02:24 PM
D
D
It seems like the more promiscuous groups have the problems. The resort won't release numbers. Keep in mind what you see online can be multiple reports of the same incident. People sometimes will sum these up to get a larger total than it is.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Chris_in_VT #146084 08/02/2021 03:00 PM
T
Junior Member (<31 posts)
T
Originally Posted by Chris_in_VT
… so this bears watching over the next couple of months.

Yes it does.

Good news is Jamaica got 300,000 doses of vaccine on Friday (basically the same as they’ve received up until then!).

But, Dream Weekend seems to be going ahead (Aug 5-9). Schedules have been adjusted to meet the updated curfew times (8pm - 5am M-Sat, 3pm - 5am Sunday) — some events now start at 6am!

I’m going to assume (based on the JA vaccinations rate) that the vast majority of attendees will be unvaccinated. This is not a socially distanced event! Most will be returning to their hotels each evening, and then going home after the event.

Not sure how many attendees will be staying at Hedo II — but it’s listed as one of the participating hotels in some of the ads I’ve seen.

Last edited by ThePachenas; 08/02/2021 03:03 PM.
Chris_in_VT #146085 08/02/2021 03:10 PM
C
Online Content
C
I was surprised to see unvaxxed people on that other site claiming to have strong immune systems so they "don't need" a vax. I'd rather follow the science from sources I deem credible.

When I go to Hedo next time, I expect to do lots of physical distancing ...will be weird, to be sure, but I'd rather stay healthy even tho I'm vaxxed, and I'd rather not accidentally spread Variant D or add to the risk of creating more variants. Just my preference.

I had hoped that we'd have covid under better control by now (having had a vaccine easily available for 8+ months), but I don't believe that we will. In fact, if I hadn't already booked and paid for a Hedo trip at this point...I'd strongly consider not going. I'm not booking any new trips anywhere beyond the few I have already committed to. Again, just my preference.

My county has one of the highest vax rates in the USA, and I'm still back to wearing a mask indoors. I look at it as doing my part for the greater good. Again, just my preference--but I have no problem with following requirements for public safety/health either. I tend to stay in my own lane when driving on the highway too. (grin!)

The USA is considered THE most individualistic country in the world, which has lead to the huge diversity of opinions/practices...and many people thinking their choices are the best and should be accepted or followed by everyone else.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
2 members like this: roy, ThePachenas
chris santilli #146086 08/02/2021 04:05 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Agree with all your points Chris. To me, following the guidance of the medical community is the responsible thing to do for everyone's safety (as well as our own). Giving the virus more hosts enables more mutations to crop up, which could spell even more serious trouble. Anyhoo.... I'm curious to see if any folks here have any 1st hand experience to share. Having been part of the outbreak at H2 last November, we're keenly interested in understanding the landscape for any future travel. Onward! smile

Chris in NC (previously VT & FL) smile
Chris_in_VT #146087 08/02/2021 07:35 PM
L
L
While I understand protecting the privacy of their guests, Hedo not commenting upon quarantine numbers at the resort leaves them open to rumors that misinformation that may paint a much worse picture than actually exists.

1 member likes this: roy
Chris_in_VT #146088 08/03/2021 07:14 AM
R
roy Offline
R
We were scheduled to go in October...but have cancelled because of the numbers. I agree with Chris and Lyle...follow the science. I believe that Hedo should inform potential guests of the risks involved. We've all observed the millions of US citizens who have refused to get the vaccine. Viruses are not political...they infect and kill whomever they can.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
Chris_in_VT #146089 08/03/2021 10:35 AM
B
B
With the potential of this becoming political, let me add some thoughts.
First, I am pro-vaxing and pro-masking.
BUT: everyone is saying follow the science without really knowing what the science is. The CDC has become a political football.

The facts are, there is danger out there, but precious little actual data. Example: the latest CDC maxim is based on the Provincetown Mass "breakthrough outbreak". Yet there is no specific scientific study of the outbreak, simply anecdotal information.

Covid is a real issue! As far as I am concerned, anyone who can put off travel out of the country should. We have cancelled all of our travel plans.

As Roy said, "viruses are not political". Unfortunately information is. The way information has been handled over the last 2 years has created much of the problem we have. People don't trust the information.

Last edited by Bookie13; 08/03/2021 12:15 PM.
1 member likes this: roy
Bookie13 #146090 08/03/2021 01:02 PM
L
L
Well, this drifted away from the real topic: how many people are in quarantine at Hedo.

It's easy for these conversations to go political and hyperbolic.

in this case, that's really not the point OR the topic of conversation.

The conversation is about whether or not Hedo could or should acknowledge how many people are in quarantine at the resort at any point in time so people considering a visit understand the situation at the resort.

THAT is the point.

Chris_in_VT #146091 08/03/2021 02:51 PM
W
W
We canceled our trip last year. And we've been going for 20+ years. It was sad.

We were at Hedo in early July 2021 before Delta really got going. We will be returning in October. We felt very safe, and frankly we have been super-careful and basically paranoid since the beginning in early 2020. We are the most vigilant people we know. By far.

Most of the guests we talked to were vaccinated like us. And you have to pass a Covid test to get into the country, and while this not perfect, it's better than anywhere else you can go in the US.

Some tips:
0. Get vaccinated and wait 3-4 weeks from last dose of vaccine, preferably Pfizer or Moderna.
1. Get a real N95 and wear it from the time you hit the departure airport until you get to Hedo.
2. Take a taxi not a bus to Hedo.
3. Stay outside. No Pastafari, no wine bar, no piano bar. At all. No gift shop unless masked.
4. If the pool is shoulder to shoulder with people, don't be in the pool.

We walked Seven Mile beach every morning, floated on our float, hung out on our chairs on the beach, enjoyed the nude grill food, enjoyed the cave, met a lot of fun people and had the most amazing vacation.

It's worth it! After a year and half of misery, we were so glad we went.

Last edited by WataView; 08/04/2021 03:16 AM. Reason: clearer dates
Chris_in_VT #146092 08/03/2021 02:57 PM
P
P
I'm just hoping things are getting back to normal by next spring, but I Really want to see more of the people in the islands fully vaxed.
Maybe we can write our respective Reps. to donate more doses; point out that this will reduce cases brought Back to the mainland.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Chris_in_VT #146093 08/04/2021 08:01 AM
B
B
We are also concerned with the latest blips of news from Hedo returnees on Hedo Facebook sites. We have cancelled 3 paid for trips since our last trip 11-19. We are booked again for this November. We are desperate to go. We were both fully vaccinated in the spring. We do not use the pool, playrooms or frequent the restaurants with the exception of the Flame. We are not in the 'lifestyle'.

Too many concerns about testing positive to leave. Still not clear on where infected guests stay and what it costs to quarantine during the 'wait' period are. We will also be watching the reports from returnees very closely. WE WANT TO GO!

Anita
Bunz z #146094 08/04/2021 04:50 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Bunz z
We are also concerned with the latest blips of news from Hedo returnees on Hedo Facebook sites. We have cancelled 3 paid for trips since our last trip 11-19. We are booked again for this November. We are desperate to go. We were both fully vaccinated in the spring. We do not use the pool, playrooms or frequent the restaurants with the exception of the Flame. We are not in the 'lifestyle'.

Too many concerns about testing positive to leave. Still not clear on where infected guests stay and what it costs to quarantine during the 'wait' period are. We will also be watching the reports from returnees very closely. WE WANT TO GO!

Sent you a PM

Bunz z #146096 08/05/2021 06:09 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by Bunz z

Ditto. Normally, I'm looking forward to my annual New Year's Eve trip, which had to get cancelled last year. Although Denny helped me re-book the cancelled trip this past spring, I'm feeling quite anxious about it these days. If everything goes to hell this autumn due to the Delta variant spread (or something worse), it'll either be another cancellation for me or a very stressful "vacation".

Last edited by The Onanist; 08/05/2021 06:10 AM.
The Onanist #146100 08/05/2021 01:58 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by The Onanist
.....or a very stressful "vacation".

My thoughts exactly. As much as I miss Hedo, I'm not going to go if it is a chore and a dangerous mission. It's too expensive to go there and not have fun! I'll wait until things settle down into some sort of new normal. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

Chris_in_VT #146101 08/05/2021 09:40 PM
C
Online Content
C
Someone on a Hedo FB page posted this info the other day...

As of Sept 1, 2021, the antigen test to get home from Hedo will then cost $20 each, and if needed the PCR test will cost $90. In the last 6 days, there have not been any positive cases. Staff is tested weekly.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
WataView #146112 08/08/2021 02:08 PM
R
rwm Offline
R
We are scheduled to next week. Fully vaccinated. Trying to decide whether to cancel or not. How crowded and how many tested positive while y’all were there thanks

rwm #146113 08/08/2021 02:28 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by rwm
We are scheduled to next week. Fully vaccinated. Trying to decide whether to cancel or not. How crowded and how many tested positive while y’all were there thanks

Your best defense and protection of yourself is the same there as anywhere else right now.

You're vaccinated, WEAR your mask whenever you're around anyone, and actually practice effective social distancing.

If you feel you can't do that at Hedo, or doing that results in a situation you don't think is a vacation or the cost you paid for it, then you probably know what you should do.

1 member likes this: CharlieV.
LyleM #146115 08/08/2021 07:31 PM
R
rwm Offline
R
Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
ExhiCurio, Mike10, flhrbill, LasVegasAdam, FunKpl
23645 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,400
HedoDiveMstr 5,124
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,924
Chicago Jake 1,773
Hedobill 1,356
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 16
LyleM 4
Doug 3
R&N 3
Mike10 3
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics10,528
Posts118,419
Members23,645
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
Samyfan
Who's Online Now
1 members (chris santilli), 56 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod