Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,569,203 why WWW
632,672 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Robert's and glow party question.
#144546 08/21/2019 08:42 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Headed down for the first trip to hedo in ten years in October with my new, and last spousal unit.

I'm almost through the 3rd edition of Chris' book (I was in the second edition twice. Only once in this one. Chris half dumped me...). Butt tell me about Robert's grille. Specifically, are the fries still cooked in lard? To say I hope so would be an understatement. And I'll assume they always have that crazy sweet catchup and pick a pepper sauce.

The glow party. Took the place of pj night. It takes place outside? Up in the prude pool deck? I assume the disco is open as well, and people go between the two? Also how many folks are actually wearing things that glow? Or is it just an out door pj party? And by the way... This will be trip number 14 for me. Never, not even once, did I go to a pj party where the DJ didn't play "You Shook Me" at the pj party. I assume that is still the norm...

Last edited by DaveInApril; 08/21/2019 08:45 PM.
Re: Robert's and glow party question.
DaveInApril #144547 08/21/2019 09:14 PM
P
Online Content
P
I second the question: What to expect from the theme parties these days?
(I may be back myself in several weeks, so I can still make plans).

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
DaveInApril #144549 08/21/2019 09:57 PM
C
C
I may have half dumped you, but you are forever in my heart, DaveInApril...grin! And thanks for ordering my updated book! Sorry I didn't explain the theme nights enough...maybe I'll put in a correction add I may do around the end of the year...

No more PJ night at all...that's kinda lingerie night (leather & lace & kink) on Wednesday nights. And people are often wearing their costumes to dinner, but not always. The costume 'judging' is during dinner on the stage. The disco is mostly dead except for group special events.

The Tuesday night glow night is on the pool deck just beyond the dining room and is loud (generally crowd-pleasing pop/dance hall) music and dancing that goes well into the night. It's gorgeous seeing all the outrageous extremely glowing folks. Those crack 'em glow sticks are not enough...even if you layer yourself in them (though some folks...like me...still do that anyway).

Robert's grill (no one calls it that anymore except us old-timers) still has fries but catsup might not be the old sweet stuff and don't know about the lard anymore, but they don't taste quite as good or maybe I'm not drunk enough these days versus years ago when my sandals would taste good if I were drinking. Anyone else know?

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
DaveInApril #144550 08/22/2019 07:09 AM
F
F
Glow party is on the pool deck. Most people dress in glow or neon outfits of some sort. There is nothing in the disco as most nights the last few years.
Not sure if it even open on Tuesday. Maybe there's a bartender that's about it.

DaveInApril #144551 08/22/2019 07:20 AM
P
Online Content
P
Do I assume there are black light lamps set up, to bring out the glow from florescent costumes?

DaveInApril #144552 08/22/2019 10:16 AM
C
C
There's some lights that make people glow extra...guess it must be some black light lamp stuff!

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
DaveInApril #144553 08/22/2019 10:51 AM
L
L
Definately worth investing in some extra glow stuff for the Tues party on the pool deck by the buffet. A happy improvement, in the last few years, is that this pool is now clothing optional. If I can fit it in my suitcase, I am getting a glow in the dark/light up pool float/toy. Glow in the dark body paint works too.

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
DaveInApril #144554 08/22/2019 11:00 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by DaveInApril
Headed down for the first trip to hedo in ten years in October with my new, and last spousal unit.

I'm almost through the 3rd edition of Chris' book (I was in the second edition twice. Only once in this one. Chris half dumped me...). Butt tell me about Robert's grille. Specifically, are the fries still cooked in lard? To say I hope so would be an understatement. And I'll assume they always have that crazy sweet catchup and pick a pepper sauce.

The glow party. Took the place of pj night. It takes place outside? Up in the prude pool deck? I assume the disco is open as well, and people go between the two? Also how many folks are actually wearing things that glow? Or is it just an out door pj party? And by the way... This will be trip number 14 for me. Never, not even once, did I go to a pj party where the DJ didn't play "You Shook Me" at the pj party. I assume that is still the norm...

I LOVE 'You shook me all night long ' by AC/DC....it is the BEST strip- in- the -near-empty-Disco song EVER.....

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
DaveInApril #144559 08/22/2019 08:47 PM
C
C
The ketchup has been upgraded. The Pickapepper and jerk sauces are the same as 10 years ago. The fries have tasted like veggie oil consistently for the past 15+ years. Would be shocked if it was ever lard, since that'd get rancid in the heat, unless they changed it frequently..... which the Issa's surely wouldn't have done in the last decade. wink In any case, the fries vary batch to batch, but overall taste the same as in years past.

Last edited by Chris_in_VT; 08/22/2019 08:50 PM.

Chris in FL (previously VT)
DaveInApril #144560 08/22/2019 11:53 PM
H
H
Sorry to bust everyones's bubble, but the jerk chicken is only chicken with jerk sauce on it. You can get it anywhere in Negril.

Real jerk chicken (or pork) is served down in Boston Bay, Jamaica (the home of jerk).

There, you don't need any sauce on it, to taste the spiceness.The spiceness is cooked into the meat.

Now, Boston Bay is very far from Hedo, but if you've ever been there, you'll know what I'm talking about.

We bought some (of both) without any sauce on it at all, there, and it was certainly spicey enough for us.

Pickapepper and any other jerk sauce, are good, but as I said, with real jerk chicken or pork, you don't need any sauce on it to taste the spiceness.

Respect.

Last edited by Hedo-regular; 08/23/2019 04:01 PM.

The more you look, the more you see.
DaveInApril #144561 08/23/2019 09:14 PM
P
Online Content
P
The quality of the food reflects the care the cook puts into it. This changes from week to week.

I'm still amazed that, about two years ago, the dinning room was serving butter chicken that was just - chicken with a slab of butter dumped on it. confused
Then there was the strange, Satanic bacon material for breakfast that was supernaturally crispy. shocked
And I think the long time guests will remember the midnight glow-in-the-dark weenies. sick

I for one am up for the challenge (but i will be bringing Pepto, just in case).

DaveInApril #144562 08/24/2019 08:29 AM
C
C
I've noticed that the quality of the food slightly varies toward the 'better' when Harry is on premises...just saying...

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
DaveInApril #144568 08/27/2019 08:27 PM
H
Online Content
H
I was at Hedo when the rumor circulated that the fries were "cooked" in lard. That was never the case; was always in veggie oil.

I suggest that the best "local" jerk chicken can be found at Bigga's cook shop in Green Island (which is on the way to Negril). Marinated from the inside out and slow cooked over lots of green pimento sticks.

In my history book, the jerk cooking/spicing process was developed by the Arawaks, who had settled the island from South America, were enslaved by the Spanish before the invasion of the British around the middle of the 17th Century. When the British arrived, the Arawaks slipped into the mountains and over time created the recipes we now call jerk.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
S&KNC, Curious Mama, slutass, MrsW, Itsnursejessi
23530 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,247
HedoDiveMstr 5,117
Roy in NC 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,919