Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,681,821 why WWW
661,879 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulling the plug on going to Hedo
#142589 08/23/2014 07:05 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We are pulling the plug on going to Hedo in the future after many years of trips there. Not an easy decision. It will always be "home" in some yesteryear sort of aspect.

A few years back, after many years of Hedo trips with ongoing room and other problems, we started adding a trip a year to other c/o resorts along with continuing to go to Hedo. We've now been to four other c/o resorts - one in the USA, the others in various other countries. Only at Hedo have we had constant room problems and other negative issues over multiple trips dogging each trip. Management/staff responsiveness to guest problems at these other c/o resorts was so much faster and more effective than at Hedo. We were recently at Hedo with a problematic room and key management/ staff had a "don't care" attitude about resolving our problems (something we've come to expect unfortunately), so that experience was the final nail in the coffin for us.

We thought of ourselves as among those who would continue to go to Hedo forever as long as the place was in business, but we've now moved beyond the "gripe about problems hoping someone of importance at Hedo would take action" stage to the "we surrender" stage. We will miss many of our long-time repeater guest friends and some of the better management and staff.

At each other c/o resort we stayed, we've met quite a few ex-Hedo repeaters who called it quits at Hedo (mostly within the past 5 years) and most never looked back and are now much happier vacationers. It used to be that the "vibe" out at the Hedo nude pool area was "it," a hard to duplicate fun & sexy environment. That is not the case anymore (at least in our opinion) as the other c/o resorts we stayed at were just as "active," although the sex was not "in your face" as much as at Hedo.

I didn't start this thread to slam Hedo, but to encourage others that generally exclusively only go to Hedo to try other popular c/o resorts like we have been doing. Now that Hedo has raised its rates, it's not a bargain c/o vacation anymore like it used to be. Going to other popular c/o resorts has really opened our eyes. We now see Hedo as the "Motel 6" of the c/o resorts charging "Sheraton" rates. That is not to slam Hedo or Motel 6, but to put in perspective that when guests are expected to pay more, they expect more, not just the option of an overpriced upgrade to hopefully stay in a problem-free room. From our experience, the "expect more" aspect isn't being fulfilled at Hedo for many of the guests and eventually, like us, they are discovering that other fun (and much better maintained) c/o resorts exist for about the same cost.

Just wanted to share our experiences. Anyone else that "pulled the plug" on Hedo temporarily or permanently have similar or different thoughts on the subject? For those Hedo guests that have never had any significant room problems or have never came down with sinus problems or colds from the mold in the poorly maintained Hedo room air conditioners - I salute and envy you. We unfortunately never had your luck, but wish we had.

Re: Pulling the plug on going to Hedo
bluemarlin #142590 08/23/2014 09:25 PM
H
H
I always like to see alternatives to Hedo, so I'd like to know the names of the 4 C/O resorts you've been to (to see if I've also been to them). Can you provide a list, please?

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
bluemarlin #142591 08/23/2014 10:08 PM
C
C
Good for you, Bluemarlin!

We have not been back to Hedo for about five years. Not due to any overwhelming problems or dissatisfaction, but merely because other (more convenient and cheaper) alternatives have cropped up. I do hope to return to Hedo some day, but there are so many other alternatives these days that I don't feel the need to go back and deal with all of the problems until they are sorted out.

I do monitor these boards, and others, hoping to hear great news about things getting better. And if they do, I will happily return. Heck, I may even return WITHOUT news of improvements. But since there are alternatives nowadays, I don't feel any urgent need to deal with Hedo at the moment. They are no longer the only game in town.

Hedo-regular #142592 08/24/2014 07:15 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Hedo-regular
I always like to see alternatives to Hedo, so I'd like to know the names of the 4 C/O resorts you've been to (to see if I've also been to them). Can you provide a list, please?

Respect.

No problem, here they are...

Caliente Tampa - USA
Desire Resort & Spa - Mexico
Cap d'Agde Ė France
Club Orient - St. Martin

bluemarlin #142593 08/24/2014 07:59 AM
B
B
We quit Hedo and started going to Temptations in Cancun. A lot closer and a lot less $$$$. No Public Sex whatsoever (besides Balcony shows) and no public drug use. (The security guys are ex Mexican Military and it shows)

Their main pool is topless optional , but still has Hedo's sexy vibe. My wife approves of it, that means that I do also. Beach isn't great, but....

Food is very good also. The Bang for the buck in the entire Carribbean. No Nudity except very brief times during games. Their Niteclub is called Patty Os and is in a class by itself. Similar to Hedos piano bar, but a notch or so higher.

We also go to a CLothing Optional resort north of Atlanta called Paradise Valley in Dawsonville. Their main pool is HUGE and also has Hedo's Vibe. The New owners has spent lot of $$$ and it shows. Biggest problem is that when the weather cools down so does the fun. No passport required.

bluemarlin #142594 08/24/2014 08:50 AM
P
P
Sounds like you're making an intelligent decision based on your experiences BM. Me ... I'm counting the days until I get home (Hedo)

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 9 - 16, 2017

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
bluemarlin #142595 08/24/2014 10:21 AM
H
H
For me, a big draw to Hedo is the scuba facilities. Yes, there are reportedly "better" places to dive (Caymans, BonAire, several pacific islands) but none has the vibe I find at Hedo.

So, BM, your criteria for a good vacation certainly is valid. For me, I plan to return to Hedo.

Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #142596 08/24/2014 10:57 AM
C
C
I go to Hedo to see old friends and my husband likes the included scuba that goes out almost every day and sometimes he can dive twice a day. It's cost-effective for our needs.

But if all my fav people were to elect to go to another resort, I'd rather do that at this point.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
bluemarlin #142597 08/24/2014 01:11 PM
G
G
We go to Hedo not only for the party atmosphere, but also because we love Jamaica. If there was another alternative in Negril, we'd try it there.

bluemarlin #142598 08/24/2014 03:24 PM
T
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
T
I agree with Chris about seeing old friends and enjoying scuba diving there. For us there are also three other reasons: a direct flight from Philadelphia to MBJ, they speak English, and you can safely drink the water. Negril Bay is safe (most of the time) for sailing. Does anyone know if jet skis are permitted again? They were banned when we were there in May after the tourist was killed earlier in the year.

bluemarlin #142599 08/24/2014 08:01 PM
H
H
No jet ski rental as yet, which I do not miss.

Also Hedo has decided, I have read, to no longer offer waterskiing as it is too dangerous in the waters off Long Bay and they can no longer use the waters off of Bloody Bay.

Chuck

Last edited by HedoDiveMstr; 08/24/2014 08:02 PM.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
bluemarlin #142600 08/25/2014 06:19 AM
D
D
Licensed jet skis are back after the short moratorium.

Reportedly, police enforcement has been stepped up.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
treebuck2 #142601 08/25/2014 11:17 AM
R
R
Similar to Chris and treebuck2 above, our reasons for choosing Hedo over trying other resorts are much the same: the openness and welcoming vibe of the friends we meet and make there, easy and relatively inexpensive direct flights from Orlando to MBJ, clean drinkable water from the tap (Montezuma's revenge is something I fear from the Mexican resorts), I'm pretty sure it's significantly less expensive than Desire for us, and the free access to the watersports stuff (kayaks, paddleboards, snorkelling) along with the lively 24/7 party atmosphere at the nude pool and beach and hot tub... heck anywhere at the resort is just a better fit for us.

To each their own though, and I appreciate reading bluemarlin's thoughts and reasons for pulling the plug at this time.

bluemarlin #142602 08/25/2014 01:13 PM
L
L
There were NO jet skis on Long Bay when I was there last month.

chris santilli #142603 08/25/2014 01:37 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has responded and so kindly. Hedo has been a needed "port in the storms of life" many times for us over the years. Great memories, great people (guests, management & staff), etc.

When I saw that Chris Santilli responded to this thread, it prompted me to pull out my copy of The Naked Truth About Hedonism II, 2nd Edition and thumb through it to help me reminisce about Hedo in earlier times. I'm not saying that Hedo can't be as fun now as in past years, but back in the days of no TVs, no room phones, a dirt and gravel road to get to Hedo from MoBay, all the rooms exactly alike, prude meant prude & nude meant nude, etc., there was an "addictive magic" to the place. One of the first guests we met that showed us around was Captain Bob of the Turtles (wearing his signature captain's hat - referenced on page 160 of Chris' book) who was an icon of Hedo history. The Turtles had more or less disbanded when we met Captain Bob, but he was an excellent host (of sorts) for us on our first several trips. Those were really fun times and we feel very lucky to have experienced what Hedo had to offer back then.

Where does the time go? Happy travels!

bluemarlin #142604 08/25/2014 05:52 PM
D
D
I think some of this has to do with groups and their "leaders".

If the "leader" doesn't promote or suggest "options"....nobody budges.

I've heard internal rumblings in groups about breaking away but fear alienating longtime friends.

Last edited by Doug; 08/25/2014 05:53 PM.

bluemarlin #142605 08/27/2014 06:42 PM
C
C
J&T - If memory serves (always a sketchy proposition..) I think jet skis are still banned at least in some areas. There's a thread a couple of weeks ago on trip advisor's Negril board on it.

Back to the topic at hand... We've really enjoyed staying up on the cliffs with friends. Different vibe for sure, but you can make your own fun and there are several A/N friendly places. We've also liked Roatan and Tulum - both at C/O places, tho nothing like H2, Caliente, etc.. Would be fun to try Desire, Caliente, etc.. though I'm with the scuba bums above - that helps make H2 pretty cost effective overall.

Chris in NC (previously VT & FL) smile
bluemarlin #142606 08/28/2014 05:14 PM
D
D
Hedo needs to recogonize that the "over 40/50....plus" group is dwindling rapidly.

They are/were the expected revenue source,

Just playful naked people.

Do the new breed of alternative lifestyle people have the ability to fill the property, and, in doing so....keep it going?

I'm amused at all of the promotions that the hotel runs.

If they were all as crazed as the hype, well that's a different story.

Last edited by Doug; 08/28/2014 05:22 PM.

bluemarlin #142607 08/28/2014 05:32 PM
C
C
I agree Doug - That's the main question.... If Hedo shifts it's marketing focus, will it retain it current core clientele? Agreed, that we're all aging and will be dying off, so the shift has to happen sometime to bring in new blood. So it'll be interesting to see whether new blood comes in sufficiently to fill the place, or whether the growing list of other c/o vacation options siphons away the critical mass of H2.

I'll beat on my favorite pet peeve again... The major thing that's pissed me off in recent years was the mass firing of many folks that we really liked, respected, and appreciated. The other changes have been positive, but that still sticks in my craw. For us, that's largely contributed to cutting our H2 visits down from 2-4/year to 1 or less. I wish everyone (esp. Harry, who seems to have his head on straight) well. Will try to reserve judgement on some of the day-to-day management issues.

bluemarlin #142608 08/29/2014 04:06 PM
T
T
I won't say we're pulling the plug on Hedo for good, but we did just book a trip to Couples Negril (CN) for the first time for mid-November. We'll see how things go there and I may even write a trip report comparing it with Hedo.
Interestingly, I got quotes for both CN and Hedo for the same dates from a well known TA and CN was actually cheaper than Hedo by a few hundred bucks...

bluemarlin #142609 08/29/2014 04:10 PM
D
D
(I book CN too!) smile

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
bluemarlin #142610 08/30/2014 02:03 PM
D
D
I think the shift happened after Hedo III closed.

Hedo II was the more laid-back place.

I think III focused on the fetish/lifestyle crowd, and they booked in droves. When III closed, those folks only had II as an option, hence the culture-clash.

bluemarlin #142611 08/31/2014 08:07 AM
B
B
We certainly go to Hedo to see our Hedo-going friends and many staff members who we would miss if we didnít go. I can only comment based on my Hedo experiences but I think even old established groups are evolving with younger members joining them which can and does change the dynamics of the group. I have seen many regular guests in our group go to other resorts because of some of the experiences detailed by Bluemarlin...but they often return. I don't believe any group 'leader' could convince all their members to move to another resort. In the end we all make our own decisions. I'm annoyed by the Hedo guest that continually threatens to never return only to return and complain throughout their trip. Bla, bla, blaÖgo already, but donít rain on my vacation.

Anita
Bunz z #142612 08/31/2014 12:43 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Bunz z
We certainly go to Hedo to see our Hedo-going friends and many staff members who we would miss if we didnít go. I can only comment based on my Hedo experiences but I think even old established groups are evolving with younger members joining them which can and does change the dynamics of the group. I have seen many regular guests in our group go to other resorts because of some of the experiences detailed by Bluemarlin...but they often return. I don't believe any group 'leader' could convince all their members to move to another resort. In the end we all make our own decisions. I'm annoyed by the Hedo guest that continually threatens to never return only to return and complain throughout their trip. Bla, bla, blaÖgo already, but donít rain on my vacation.

What she said............. I agree completely. Stay, go, make your own choices, but don't try to make me listen to a bunch of complaints.

bluemarlin #142613 08/31/2014 05:35 PM
D
D
What bugs me are those who do have less-than-expected problems only to complain until THEIR specific problem is taken care of and then discount the other complaints/concerns here as nonexistent.

Doug #142614 08/31/2014 09:27 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Doug
What bugs me are those who do have less-than-expected problems only to complain until THEIR specific problem is taken care of and then discount the other complaints/concerns here as nonexistent.

Excellent point! Or what I call the "Blind men and the elephant" syndrome.

bluemarlin #142615 09/01/2014 06:00 AM
C
C
Good point indeed. And to be sure, some of the issues w/ H2 stem from the relaxed soon-come attitude that's prevalent in Jamaican culture. It's a bit of a 2 edged sword.

bluemarlin #142616 09/02/2014 06:34 AM
H
H
Wow, sorry to hear your not going back. We just booked after a five year absence from Hedo.

bluemarlin #142617 09/02/2014 01:46 PM
C
C
Bet you'll enjoy it. The food has taken a nice upturn IMHO, and the rooms and facilities are all looking a bit better with the infusion of cash. It's the same old place, plus some upgrades and minus a few of the old staff.

bluemarlin #142618 09/04/2014 04:56 PM
H
H
WE started going to Hedo in 1986 and never really had any problems til our trip of Dec 2013 and they could have been avoided if the staff had just actually listened to what I was saying was wrong and what needed to be done to fix the problem. When the water runs across the floor when you take a shower and you explain to the head of maintainece what has to be caulked and where and they caulk every place but there then its a big problem to me. When they decide to epoxy paint the room next to you and the smell drives you from your room thats a problem. It just seems that no one thinks before they do things. The epoxy thing proves that.

bluemarlin #142619 09/06/2014 08:30 AM
C
C
LOL. Back in the day before the waterslide, we got a 1 or 2 nite free voucher b/c of the paint smell. God, we milked those vouchers back then. smile

Chicago Jake #142620 09/08/2014 10:04 AM
R
R
I have to agree with the OP. My wife and I have met many many people that we now consider family and we would not have met them if it weren't for Hedo. These are people from other states, Countries and people that are within 5 miles of home. We would meet every year in Hedo for a week, we did this for six or seven years and then decided we would explore other options. We've been to Honduras, Belize, Mexico and the Dominican Republic and realized we have just as much fun there as we did in Hedo. We all talk about how it's "the people", well it's true because we have a lot of the same people just in a different resort. The nudity and sexual freedom just isn't as important anymore, been there done that and bought the shirt. We've never had a bad trip to Hedo and I'm thankful for it because we have met so many people we now call family, but it was time to move on.

bluemarlin #142621 09/09/2014 12:15 PM
R
R

As an annual visitor over the past 10 or so years I think this points to exactly why Hedo needs to market to new blood. Yeah the novelty wears off, yeah the same old thing gets old, the continuous bitching gets old, seeing the same old people every year gets a bit predictable. The '40/50' crowd really isn't the place's future - obviously. What the new owners need to do is to find events, sponsor trips from hip companies with hip products for a new generation of fun, young nudies. It can't be that hard.

Me, I fit that '40/50' crowd and I enjoy my time at Hedo but it's not the only place on earth for me. Iíll look at other placesÖ.but how fun would it be to show-up and see new, younger crowd having fun that is excited by the novelty rather than bitch about the number of towels available within 30 feet of their chair?

bluemarlin #142622 09/09/2014 01:15 PM
M
M
The way i read Hedo's website is that it is billing itself as a nudist resort. I suspect that 'nudists' make up a very tiny portion of people who visit resorts in Jamaica or anywhere else. People might not mind trying to get nude on a beach but i think they will shy away from a resort that suggests it is a top nudist resort. I do not know how they will get the younger crowd or even newcomers to come to the resort as it is currently billed, management may not think the same. Regardless , I will be at Hedo on Friday, looking forward to it.

bluemarlin #142623 09/09/2014 02:16 PM
P
P
I would have *loved* to find a place like Hedo when I was in my 20's. But back then I didn't have a clue they existed (I guess I lived under a rock...), and there was no way to learn about if I did know.
These days the Internet makes the info part easier, but you still have to know about it first. I discovered Hedo when I was looking for a new vacation spot, so I Googled beach+rum+Caribbean+nude (or close enough), and Hedo popped up.
So, the secret to survival for the resort is reaching the right people, in the right way. Perhaps Chris's new book idea IS the way to go?

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
bluemarlin #142624 09/10/2014 04:03 AM
T
T

had to smile at your post, mr. parrot.

what you state about hedo's marketing is so true. but, if you really look at the line where you wrote: "the secret to survival *for the resort* is reaching the right people" is right on! but, you can substitute *any business* right in that line. in the middle of a marketing push in my company. even though they have a world wide client list now. nuthin' rong wit mo biz. good point.

hedo is always looking for new business. i commend them. after all, aren't we all? i am!

one love.

B

live and let live -- always!
the Baron #142625 09/11/2014 12:32 PM
H
H
If we do not return to Hedo it will not be because of the food, rooms, AC etc. It will be because we do not want to meet up with a certain jealous woman again. This person was so jealous of my wife that she tried to alienate our friends of many years and tried to put distance between her desired suitors and us. Hedo is about the people and most are great, but one bad apple can spoil the barrel.

bluemarlin #142626 09/11/2014 09:33 PM
C
C
Are you sure about that? Because I have it on good authority that one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl.

bluemarlin #142627 09/12/2014 02:01 AM
R
R
Jake, I believe you misunderstood, that was advice not to let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch of fruit.

Judy

bluemarlin #142628 09/12/2014 08:12 AM
T
T
I'm pretty sure that Jake is correct. I attended a lecture concerning bad apples and it was stated there on good authority that one bad apple did not spoil all of the other apples. I missed the part concerning the barrel however. We may someday pull the plug on Hedo but we will not do so because of one bad apple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
JaywhyTurtleCove, radarrogue, Standfas, SPX33, LonnieR
23805 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,585
HedoDiveMstr 5,130
Roy in VA 2,760
Bunz z 1,929
Chicago Jake 1,802