Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,681,808 why WWW
661,875 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I don't call myself a Kool Aid Drinker!
#142217 07/09/2014 08:01 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I know the quality of the food at Hedo.
I know the décor and the quality of the rooms at Hedo.
I know and understand the soon come attitude of the some of the Hedo staff.
I love the friends and the party.
I know all of this and I am fine with all of it.
If I wasn’t fine with it and still returned year after year, well, I know what I would call myself.
What I don’t call myself is a Kool Aid Drinker. I simply choose not to be a victim.
You can call me a Kool Aid Drinker. I would rather call myself someone with realistic expectations.

Focus Your Attention On My Eyes
Hedo II - Winter WWW
Re: I don't call myself a Kool Aid Drinker!
Sleepster #142218 07/09/2014 08:32 AM
B
B
As many know I am seldom a critic of Hedo on this board but I don't consider myself a Kool Aid drinker either. At risk of sound like an old fart I do remember candles in the rooms for expected daily power outages, no phones, no TV's, no nude pool, no beach grill, no specialty restaurants, meat you didn’t recognize, hot pink hot dogs, gross room carpeting, and food served in bowels of ice.

Some guests may not appreciate the improvements that have been made at Hedo over the years, but I do. It’s not perfect but I enjoy seeing long time friends and have lots of fun when we visit. If the inconveniences of phone, ac or other SNAFU services were overwhelming we would not continue to go.

Anita
Sleepster #142219 07/09/2014 09:48 AM
R
R
I think the point is not that everyone should agree with each other's view of Hedo and the state of things there. I am personally very happy when someone else is not bothered by some of the known shortcomings. But just like you should not be attacked for not caring about those things that bother others on vacation, others should not be attacked for mentioning the things they think need improvement and attention.
The problem is that some here can't seem to tolerate anyone else's view if it does not agree with their own, even to the point of attacking the poster or intimating that they they should never go to Hedo .. or even that they should not be allowed to post their views here on Denny's message board.
I'm happy if someone is in love with everything about Hedo, glad that it does not bother you if the A/C breaks down or the phones don't work. I'm honestly glad it didn't ruin your vacation. But the simple fact that the shortcomings at Hedo don't bother one person does not mean that person has the right to decide what should and should not be important to other vacationers on their Hedo visit. It does not give them license to deride others for mentioning things that went wrong during their trip or things that concern them about the state of things at Hedo. That is simply childish and disrespectful.
Roy

Roy in VA #142220 07/09/2014 09:55 AM
B
B
I agree with you Roy. I just wanted to go on record that I don't drink the Kool Aid either. Hedo has NEVER been perfect. We all have different tolerance levels.

Anita
Roy in VA #142221 07/09/2014 10:47 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Roy, I agree with you. I know what upsets me and what doesn't. It should not bother anyone that the things that upset them do not bother me. Having said that, just because some things do not bother me, does not mean that I have lower standards. I have made a personal decision that based upon what I experience at Hedo and the dollars I expend to experience it, I am ok with it. I would not return to Hedo on an annual basis if the equation did not work for me. To suggest that I am a Kool Aid Drinker is unfair. If I have an issue with something while at Hedo, I take care of it on the spot. I am fortunate that I attend the WWW group and Denny is always in the house. On those rare occasions when something is a problem for me, Hedo has always responded appropriately. I realize that has not been the experience of everyone - but it has for me. Two years ago their was an issue that was not being dealt with to my liking. After repeated phone calls, I parked myself in a chair in front of the lobby desk. They asked what the issue was. I told them the problem and explained that I would be sitting in that spot until the issue was corrected. It took less than 15 minutes and I was a happy camper. It would have been nice if my problem would have been taken care of on the first phone call. It was rectified and I moved on.

Hedo II - Winter WWW
Bunz z #142222 07/09/2014 11:25 AM
G
G
Funny I think I remember all those things at a place that was around call jack tar village, oh and also the rat the size of a cat that ate through all our clothes one night.... Seems all hotels have had issues at some time or another, hedo is still open and working on their issues. What I'm saying is that a lot of these things happen at many island hotels , and I don't think I'm a kook aid drinker either!

Sleepster #142223 07/09/2014 12:24 PM
B
B
I recall Jack Tar also!!! They was one in MBJ, Cancun and Miami (I think). It also with Club Med was one of the early Chain type adults only party-Hardy type places. The one in Cancun is now Golden Parnassus, but some of the older employees have lots of Jack Tar tales to tell. After a few Rum/cokes, I would always call it the "Jack Pharr" village.

Sleepster #142224 07/09/2014 12:33 PM
R
R
Fair and reasonable points Sleepster and well said.

I did not think anyone was singled out as a "Kool Aid Drinker". I know the term was used in general for people who can't and won't tolerate any criticism of their favorite resort without striking out at the posters who 'offended Hedo', but I don't remember you (Sleepster) or anyone else being specifically called a Kool Aid Drinker. I may have missed it though. smile
Roy

Roy in VA #142225 07/09/2014 01:50 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Correct Roy, and that is why I stated that I don't call myself a Kool Aid Drinker. I wasn't responding to anyone in particular. The term comes up around here every once in a while. I feel that I have set realistic expectations for my Hedo vacation based on hedo's history and current plans. A common phrase used in marketing is "we know you have a choice of airline or destination". They are correct, I chose Hedo for one of my vacations. I did that because I' m happy with it. When and if that changes, I'll make another one.

Hedo II - Winter WWW
Sleepster #142226 07/09/2014 10:48 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Sleepster
I know the quality of the food at Hedo.
I know the décor and the quality of the rooms at Hedo.
I know and understand the soon come attitude of the some of the Hedo staff.
I love the friends and the party.
I know all of this and I am fine with all of it.
If I wasn’t fine with it and still returned year after year, well, I know what I would call myself.
What I don’t call myself is a Kool Aid Drinker. I simply choose not to be a victim.
You can call me a Kool Aid Drinker. I would rather call myself someone with realistic expectations.

Another good post by someone choosing to have a positive attitude!!

Sleepster #142227 07/10/2014 06:43 PM
T
T
Well, I should not be surprised to see that Kevin Levy is answering reports on TripAdvisor. Guests express their concerns and they get a response. Further, potential guests checking TripAdvisor for information which will help them in their decision regarding a visit can see that Hedo management really cares about their guests. The system can work to the benefit of all.

Sleepster #142228 07/11/2014 04:24 AM
R
R
Unfortunately Kevin may need to hire a PR firm to respond to the most recent review I read on TA this morning. Ouch. I hope all that gets cleared up quickly for everyone's sake.

Sleepster #142229 07/11/2014 05:34 AM
T
T
Ouch! Need uppressor mon fi Hedo!

Last edited by T-38; 07/11/2014 06:13 AM.
Sleepster #142230 07/11/2014 01:57 PM
C
Online Content
C
The TripAdvisor reviews seem to alternate between 5 stars and 1 star! I wonder if they have two different resorts listed under the same name?

Sleepster #142231 07/11/2014 03:12 PM
D
D
Trip Advisor is the go-to place these days for folks to follow.

Hotels know this and have an obligation to respond if they wish to be rated well. I was told as much by a staffer who requested I post positive reviews on their site.

Responses vs real action are totally different. Kind of like a letter to a politician.....

Last edited by Doug; 07/11/2014 03:23 PM.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Sleepster #142232 07/11/2014 04:55 PM
T
T
I have been an avid follower of TripAdvisor since it began. Hedo staff have solicited good reviews as have staff at other resorts. Some places even write their own trip reports. I have come to recognize these. People tend to have somewhat unique writing styles. One B&B in Portsmore is notorious for writing their own reports. A resort does not get a higher rating for answering a report, but I certainly think higher of managers who give some sort of reply. I have talked to a TripAdvisor representative regarding the self written and even the professionally written-actually for pay-reports. He said that they need some sort of proof before they ban them. There do seem to be many 5 star ratings. I think that a guest must be really motivated to write a report at all so he must have really enjoyed himself , really had a bad experience, been encouraged by staff to write or occasionally the report is the result of a personal grudge which is usually recognizable. While there may be a large number of 5 star, most resorts receive few one star reports.

Sleepster #142233 07/11/2014 05:39 PM
D
D
There's an old expression that says "..a chain is as strong as its weakest link".

The weakest link at Hedo, for me - has always been infrastructure engineering and maintenance.

I could care less if every leaf was raked as soon as it hit the ground.

Air conditioning is a staple in the Caribbean. So is relaible water and temperature.

The water issues at Hedo have become the butt of jokes for DECADES !! Funny ? NO !!

The Issa family/Superclubs did a shabby job at best of keeping Hedo running.

We now have new owners. Great.

Some changes are being made, albeit many - cosmetic.

I watched THREE people try to figure out a clogged shower head last April for over an hour. Why ?

Try calling for a light bulb for your room and being passed around a line of crap about how "maintenance isn't answering their phone and they don't have radios".

Instead of firing hard-working visible employees who bust their humps every day - look to the slackers who hide and BS their way through the day.

So called "engineering and maintenance" couldn't flush a toilet without an owners manual.

T-38 #142234 07/12/2014 08:03 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by T-38
Some places even write their own trip reports.
And some places will write negative reports about their competitors. Everything online (including this message board) must be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Doug #142235 07/12/2014 08:39 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Doug

So called "engineering and maintenance" couldn't flush a toilet without an owners manual.

Well, to be fair the manual doesn't help. It gets stuck half way around the trap and is a bugger to pull out again once it gets wet.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Sleepster #142236 07/12/2014 11:19 AM
D
D
LMFAO Parracky.

Doug #142237 07/12/2014 11:35 AM
B
B
There's an old expression that says "..a chain is as strong as its weakest link".

The weakest link at Hedo, for me - has always been infrastructure engineering and maintenance.

Air conditioning is a staple in the Caribbean. So is relaible water and temperature.

The water issues at Hedo have become the butt of jokes for DECADES !! Funny ? NO !!

I watched THREE people try to figure out a clogged shower head last April for over an hour. Why ?

Try calling for a light bulb for your room and being passed around a line of crap about how "maintenance isn't answering their phone and they don't have radios".

Instead of firing hard-working visible employees who bust their humps every day - look to the slackers who hide and BS their way through the day.

It's obvious that Hedo needs new maintenance/engineering management. The faster one or two top people over these areas are shown the door, the quicker Hedo can recover. This latest Kevin Levee PR campaign of responding to recent trip report complaints on Tripadvisor.com is making what little credibility Hedo has with many repeaters vanish. Many of the infrastructure problems Kevin Levee says are in the process of being upgraded or fixed have been "in process" of getting upgraded or fixed for more than a decade.

Not to be disrespectful to Mr. Levee, but it appears that he may not have the expertise to hire or evaluate whether his engineering/maintenance management really knows what they are doing. Just because infrastructure is old does not mean it's automatically faulty. There has been way too much blame in recent years from Hedo management on "old infrastructure" being the source of many mechanical/electrical/sewer/water problems, when this is mainly a management, expertise and follow-through problem.

This post is not meant to slam Mr. Levee personally, but perhaps he and the other owners should consider hiring an outside consultant with a successful background in resort/hotel engineering and maintenance to evaluate the management/staff capabilities in these areas and make recommendations on remedying the situation. If new management/staff is needed, perhaps the consultant can come back and oversee the selection process of new people as well.

As harsh as this post may sound, something needs to change at Hedo or else Mr. Levee's full-time career will become responding to problematic infrastructure-based complaints from recent Hedo guests posted on Tripadvisor.com. No doubt as a GM, there are more productive uses of his time than creative writing.

bluemarlin #142238 07/12/2014 11:52 AM
L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by bluemarlin

It's obvious that Hedo needs new maintenance/engineering management. The faster one or two top people over these areas are shown the door, the quicker Hedo can recover. This latest Kevin Levee PR campaign of responding to recent trip report complaints on Tripadvisor.com is making what little credibility Hedo has with many repeaters vanish. Many of the infrastructure problems Kevin Levee says are in the process of being upgraded or fixed have been "in process" of getting upgraded or fixed for more than a decade.

Not to be disrespectful to Mr. Levee, but it appears that he may not have the expertise to hire or evaluate whether his engineering/maintenance management really knows what they are doing. Just because infrastructure is old does not mean it's automatically faulty. There has been way too much blame in recent years from Hedo management on "old infrastructure" being the source of many mechanical/electrical/sewer/water problems, when this is mainly a management, expertise and follow-through problem.

This post is not meant to slam Mr. Levee personally, but perhaps he and the other owners should consider hiring an outside consultant with a successful background in resort/hotel engineering and maintenance to evaluate the management/staff capabilities in these areas and make recommendations on remedying the situation. If new management/staff is needed, perhaps the consultant can come back and oversee the selection process of new people as well.

As harsh as this post may sound, something needs to change at Hedo or else Mr. Levee's full-time career will become responding to problematic infrastructure-based complaints from recent Hedo guests posted on Tripadvisor.com. No doubt as a GM, there are more productive uses of his time than creative writing.

I just returned from Hedo last night. The day this week we had the problem with the water and were without cold water for roughly half the day, I saw a totally different response to the problem.

I saw guys who looked like they worked for an outside contractor in work uniforms, wearing hard hats and carrying large tool boxes, replacing large sections of pipe. They appeared to me as organized and effective as any similar crew I've ever seen in the USA doing similar work and all of them were moving and working at full speed. It really caught my attention and I was glad to see it happen.

Just an FYI based upon recent direct observation.......

Sleepster #142239 07/12/2014 12:51 PM
G
G
Thanks Lyle for your personal observation on something positive. Refreshing to hear for a change!

Sleepster #142240 07/12/2014 02:17 PM
D
D
How about the courtyard progress Lyle?

Doug #142241 07/12/2014 03:27 PM
L
Online Content
L
How about the courtyard progress Lyle?

No way to tell.... the whole area is closed off with plywood walls.

Sleepster #142242 07/12/2014 04:21 PM
H
H
My wife and I always try to talk to as many people as possible while at Hedo. Then thing we have found to be is that the younger couples are turned off by the price for the rooms conditions. The newer rooms might help but you have to know there are better rooms. The things we old timers just accept they reject.

Hedobill #142243 07/12/2014 04:23 PM
L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by Hedobill
My wife and I always try to talk to as many people as possible while at Hedo. Then thing we have found to be is that the younger couples are turned off by the price for the rooms conditions. The newer rooms might help but you have to know there are better rooms. The things we old timers just accept they reject.

I was hearing a lot of people express sticker shock at the price of the new rooms and saying they wouldn't pay that price for a room.

Sleepster #142244 07/13/2014 05:27 PM
D
D
Well...according to a Hedo social media post, they are at the EXXXOTICA trade show outside Chicago touting themselves as,quoting...."the premier adult only lifestyle hotel". Must have missed that note under my door along with my repeat guest party invitation.

Sleepster #142245 07/13/2014 06:16 PM
B
B
I have worked for over 30 years in the Caribbean and that areas ideas about Maintenance is completely different from that in the Us/Europe. The idea of replacing a part or machine before it completely fails is deemed as wasteful. If a gear reducer is making a strange noise or a bearing is clearing going bad, Its probably going to have to totally fail before its replaced. Spent several years controlling belt conveyors systems and Jamaica was always among the worst as far as preventative maintenance !!!

Sleepster #142246 07/13/2014 08:59 PM
H
H
Doug, did you say that you actually got an invitation under the door for the repeater's party. What?

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
Sleepster #142247 07/14/2014 07:12 AM
R
R
Is there a joke I'm missing? We received a repeaters party invitation when we were there in March and it was our third trip. I recall getting one back in November of 2012 as well.

Sleepster #142248 07/14/2014 07:54 AM
C
C
Sometimes official invites come...sometimes they don't!

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
Sleepster #142249 07/14/2014 02:37 PM
G
G
We have been 10 times and have never gotten one to my knowledge

chris santilli #142250 07/14/2014 04:03 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by chris santilli
Sometimes official invites come...sometimes they don't!

If you're a repeater and know about the repeaters party ... do you really need an invitation?

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 9 - 16, 2017

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Philly Dave #142251 07/14/2014 04:44 PM
C
C
I think the invite is a nicety...sure we don't need it, but when it comes, it still feels nice.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
Sleepster #142252 07/14/2014 04:59 PM
Z
Z
We got an invitation to the Repeaters Party even though it was technically our first trip at Hedo. We had been on the way to Hedo previously when my wife got sick in Charlotte (where we spent the night after flying from the west coast) and had to have surgery. So "trip one" we never made it to Jamaica but "trip two" we got the invite anyway.

Breezes Grand Negril: 5/2010
Hedonism II: 12/2011, 11/2016, 12/2017, 4/2019
Couples Tower Isle: 1/2013
Hidden Beach: 12/2013, 5/2016
Couples Negril: 4/2015
Couples San Souci: 4/2017, 4/2018
Vritomartis (Greece): 9/2017
Cap D'Agde (France): 7/2018
Sleepster #142253 07/14/2014 05:45 PM
D
D
I was being sarcastic in my post.

There was a day when the invitation seemed like a true knowledge/appreciation of your return home.

Felt nice, as Chris said.

Anyone can show up now and no one bats an eye.

Doug #142254 07/15/2014 01:00 PM
P
P
I wasn't trying to be critical with my last post, it was more of an observation. And "you" all are right, the invite is a nice touch.

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 9 - 16, 2017

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Sleepster #142255 07/16/2014 05:35 PM
D
D
Reading other threads about water issues, the phone system and dreaded maintenance...its a bit disconcerting to me that the new ownership seems more focused on partying than correcting decades of decline in a much more focused, timely and investment/reputation saving manner.

There's an old adage that says "Nero fiddled while Rome burned...".

I just saw a post on social media where a travel group hosted a live band with professional staging and effects. Who paid for all these amenities?

I find it doubtful that the group footed the bill for all of this.

Who did? You !!

Last edited by Doug; 07/16/2014 06:05 PM.

Sleepster #142256 07/16/2014 06:22 PM
D
D
I've been there when the Fluffs have brought down their own piano player and their own DJ and it was out of their own pockets..not the hotel..I would think it was like the Bares and the Front Row Band/Fat Cats..maybe a few comps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
JaywhyTurtleCove, radarrogue, Standfas, SPX33, LonnieR
23805 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,585
HedoDiveMstr 5,130
Roy in VA 2,760
Bunz z 1,929
Chicago Jake 1,802
Hedobill 1,356
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 8
LyleM 2
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics10,655
Posts119,225
Members23,805
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
RonRita
Who's Online Now
1 members (davew), 39 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod