Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,681,814 why WWW
661,877 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Virus going around at Hedo?
#142107 07/04/2014 03:58 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Just back from H2 with a group from 6/21-6/28. Many in our group came down either at Hedo or right after returning with a combination of symptoms such as headache, sore throat, cough and fever. One of the members went to her physician and was told that it was similar to Legionaires Disease. The entire resort suffered an air conditioning failure early in our week and there are concerns about this illness being transmitted via the A/C system.
Have any other recent visitors had any health issues?

"Did I.Q.s just drop sharply while I was away?"

Aliens (1986)
Re: Virus going around at Hedo?
Offshore #142108 07/05/2014 05:40 AM
N
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
N
We were there 6/21-28 as well, and we'redoing fine. We've chatted with quite a few friends from our trip in the last week, an so far we haven't heard about any one getting sick.

Did you go to the foam party? We did and didn't have any trouble, but from trips to Desire we've heard they can trigger respiratory issues for many.

Offshore #142109 07/05/2014 07:25 AM
O
OP Offline
O
We did not attend the foam party either. The night the a/c was out seemed to start it for us.

Aliens (1986)
Offshore #142110 07/05/2014 09:02 AM
H
H
This use to happen all the time about 15 years ago. They even had a name for it but I can't remember what the called it.

Offshore #142111 07/05/2014 09:45 AM
H
H
Here is a very informative article about legionnaire's disease

What I found most interesting is that the bacteria must be inhaled, but swallowed, as it is a lung disease. Second, on average, the incubation period is 3-6 days and could be as early as 2 days.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
Offshore #142112 07/05/2014 10:07 AM
C
C
The old Hedo crud that folks came home from every trip with in the 80s and 90s had no known specific cause. The result was respiratory/throat problems for 2-6 weeks.

I used to blame it on screaming/yelling/singing tearing up my throat so crud could get in (I swear that if felt like my throat was bleeding inside from the shear volume of noise I produced).

Ever since I cut back on my personal noise volume (b/c piano bar singalong is so minimal), I'm never sick anymore after a Hedo trip. I'm still using a/c the same, kissing folks the same, drinking out of their drinks the same. I dunno.

The correlation might be circumstantial.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
Offshore #142113 07/05/2014 11:07 AM
H
H
As I recall, 15 years ago (the other century) Hedo rooms were carpeted. This allowed mold to develop throughout the room.

Also, the A/C units were not well maintained and they developed internal mold which was difficult to remove. The filters were rarely cleaned. Pillows were not cleaned often enough.

So those impacted by mold often developed the symptoms mentioned by the OP.

The issue resolved somewhat when the rooms were renovated (years ago) with the rug removed and new A/C units were installed.

Maybe the mold issue is back.

Chuck

Offshore #142114 07/05/2014 11:38 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by Offshore
Just back from H2 with a group from 6/21-6/28. Many in our group came down either at Hedo or right after returning with a combination of symptoms such as headache, sore throat, cough and fever. One of the members went to her physician and was told that it was similar to Legionaires Disease. The entire resort suffered an air conditioning failure early in our week and there are concerns about this illness being transmitted via the A/C system.
Have any other recent visitors had any health issues?

Offshore, thank you for posting your experience because this has been a big problem at Hedo for several years, especially in recent months. Your assessment of the problem with the A/C units is correct, it's mostly Legionnaires' disease guests have been contracting from the A/C units, a form of pneumonia derived from contaminated aerosol emitting from A/C units. This is likely sourced from not maintaining the central evaporative cooler (and its condensate) that feeds most of the resorts A/C units (including the room A/C units). Generally, Legionnaires' disease is caused by bacteria, but at Hedo where it's tropical and the individual A/C unit filters are sometimes neglected to be cleaned for periods of time, a virus can also thrive (in more rare cases) and cause the disease. Not everyone responds to this disease with the same intensity, but those that do can get very ill.

The same airborne bacteria and/or viruses from Hedo's A/C system have also been sourced to Labyrinthitis in some guests, an ailment of the inner ear which a person can experience vertigo (severe dizziness or imbalance when the head is moved or elevated abruptly) along with migraine headaches and/or severe sinus problems for a period of days, weeks, sometimes for a few months. Not to scare anyone, but labyrinthitis can cause permanent hearing loss in some people if it continues for an extended period of time (like after a few months) untreated.

Hedo's weak spot continues to be incompetent and/or neglected maintenance of mostly its mechanical infrastructure and this situation is a prime example.

Offshore, if you really want to get Hedo ownership/management's attention, I would encourage you post a trip report to Tripadvisor.com with your assessment. Safety and health when on vacation is a prime concern and this is a big deal.

Offshore #142115 07/05/2014 04:07 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Blue Marlin. I just posted to TripAdvisor. We have been loyal to Hedo (Seventeen trips to H2 and H3) but things have to get better for us to return. Some cosmetic changes have been made under the new ownership but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig. Time for real improvements!

Aliens (1986)
Offshore #142116 07/05/2014 05:54 PM
L
L
You put a bunch of people together in an airplane, an airport, an arrival lounge, a bus, a restaurant, a resort, or any other place where folks are in close quarters and breathe the same air, and it only takes one person carrying an airborne germ to infect everybody. Seems to me this is just a consequence of leaving the confines of home.

Laura

Offshore #142117 07/06/2014 05:51 AM
G
G
Thanks God Laura for a voice of reason! It's only common sense. There is always so much fear mongering and gossip on this board.

Greg and Kelly #142118 07/06/2014 07:08 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Greg and Kelly
Thanks God Laura for a voice of reason! It's only common sense. There is always so much fear mongering and gossip on this board.

I'll 2nd that. I'm surprised I don't get an infection from biting my tongue so much. And often it's from people that haven't been to Hedo in years for whatever reason.

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 9 - 16, 2017

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Offshore #142119 07/06/2014 12:13 PM
L
L
The same people that are worried about this already booked there next vacation to Hedo.

Alice & Lewis

Lewis&Alice #142120 07/06/2014 04:15 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Lewis&Alice
The same people that are worried about this already booked there next vacation to Hedo.

That might be true, but we should be able to expect better conditions. We have been to H2 and H3 a total of seventeen times and always enjoy it but we don't expect to get sick while there.
Better maintainence of the physical plant would be a good investment on the part of the new owners.

Aliens (1986)
Offshore #142121 07/06/2014 05:43 PM
B
B
I can't speak for Offshore (we don't know each other), but I just want to say that Offshore had more guts than I did reporting on this board about a Legionnaires' disease diagnosis related to travel to Hedo.

To the skeptical posters, sadly, this is all real. Other than the diagnosis Offshore reported on, I'm aware to two other confirmed Legionnaires' disease diagnosis made to Hedo friends who traveled to Hedo in the past 6 months.

The good news for some is that everyone responds to this disease differently, so some will get ill, some very ill, and some lucky ones will party-on at Hedo unaffected.

If you are one of the unlucky ones that gets a bad respiratory/sinus/cold-related illness you can't seem to shake associated with a Hedo trip, when you return home here is a handout on the diagnosis of the disease to read over and maybe take with you to your physician.

http://www.cdc.gov/legionella/about/diagnosis.html

Offshore #142122 07/06/2014 07:06 PM
L
L
That is assuming you are correct and it is that it just as well could be a bad cold. Drinking sharing drinks smoking ganja with others and also playing with others you have no clue who's sick caught a bug before coming or from the plane . I also been to hedo 17 times and it is amazing how quick you are to blame it on Hedo go bash it on trip advisor when your not even sure it is from Hedo very quick to blame the AC or this and that .

Alice & Lewis

Offshore #142123 07/07/2014 05:49 AM
T
T
First off, I want to express my concern for those that have an illness, wherever it may have originated, and wish them a speedy recovery. Next, I would like to express my amazement at the cult like response from some posters. Is there any sort of criticism of Hedo that these people would tolerate! Where is the response from Hedo management? Illnesses have affected other resorts world wide and, almost without exception, the respective management have quickly responded and addressed the issue. Where there was no issue, the spokesperson defended their resort and explained how they prevented infections etc. Where there was legitimate concerns they explained what they had done to alleviate the situation. Some resorts even reimbursed valid medical expenses. Having said all of this, I do realize that trip reports can be a malicious weapon used by some posters that can really hurt an establishment. But when there is no response from management, one might assume that the reports have some basis.

Offshore #142124 07/07/2014 06:52 AM
T
T
First thing we do (after dropping our bags in the room) is pull out the Lysol and spray down the A/C unit. I don't know if it helps or not but it makes us feel better and neither of us has ever gotten sick. I think on our next trip we spray down some other heavily used area's (bathroom, fridge, bed, etc).

As far as "Management Response" I'd be totally surprised to see them respond on this message board. Though a lot of us here think we and this message board are the end all/be all of Hedo in reality we aren't. We are a small, very vocal minority of Hedo visitors. If management started responding to every complaint, rumor and issue presented on this board they we need to hire a complete staff to keep up!

Personally I don't think that I or this board is important enough for management to take much heed too! That being said I think it is incumbent on each individual to take the necessary precautions to maintain his/her own health.

Offshore #142125 07/07/2014 10:33 AM
T
T
A response from Hedo management does not have to be on this board. There are other more widely read forums available such as Tripadvisor. As I pointed out, other bigger resorts quickly respond to this sort of problem. So, indeed, I would expect some response from Hedo management. Let us hope that this is a relatively small problem or really no problem at all. We do the same as Darkfather and spray down the room. I do not think that it is incumbent on guests to take such precautions. We should expect relatively clean and healthy conditions. Before we did this, we noticed some upper respiratory congestion on almost every trip. I might add, if we, the guests are not important then just what is important. I am aware of one worldwide chain that responses to almost every complaint. After a recent business trip, the manager of the hotel where I stayed emailed me regarding a minor problem that I had noted on a guest survey. She then followed up to make sure that I was happy. Another hotel where we stay noted on my reservation reply that there might be some noise from a renovation and offered, with apologies, to move me to another hotel. I never noticed any noise. Do I think that I was that important? No, but these hotel GMs though that I and other guests were very important.

Offshore #142126 07/07/2014 11:47 AM
D
Online Content
D
At Jewel Runaway Bay, Scott, the manager, responds to practically all the reviews on TA-good or bad. When we were at Hedo earlier this year we went over to JRB and met Scott. We went there to have lunch with Barbara Burton who is now manager of Jewel Paradise Cove, formerly Hedo 3. She said JPC would be doing the same thing. I think it is great PR, especially if the poster had problems. He or she and other readers see that management does read these things.

Offshore #142127 07/07/2014 01:19 PM
O
OP Offline
O
T-38 and thedarkfather, thanks for voices of reason. I understand the "cult like response" from some and at one time I probably would have been one of them...but after awhile we expect more. I have submitted a report to TripAdvisor (that has not been posted yet) yet there is a new one today that pretty much mirrors what I said about the conditions there.

We don't go to Hedo expecting the Ritz-Carlton...but is asking for working air conditioning and not getting sick too much to ask?

Last edited by Offshore; 07/07/2014 02:13 PM.

Aliens (1986)
Offshore #142128 07/07/2014 03:26 PM
P
P
Damn that hurts as I bite my tongue again

Anyone that's visited Hedo II know's it's NOT a 5 star resort. Yet, at this very moment, Trip Advisor has it at 80% Thumbs up and ranked as #36 of 91 hotels in Negril based on 1447 reviews.

THE REST IS HEARSAY. One poster seems to have intimate knowledge of the maintenance dept schedule for cleaning a/c filters. In the same sentence states that Legionnaires disease is caused by bacteria but goes on to say that in certain conditions a VIRUS can thrive and also cause the disease. Now I'm certainly not a doctor but ...

back to biting my tongue

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Offshore #142129 07/07/2014 04:41 PM
T
T
Philly Dave makes an interesting observation in noting that Hedo is rated #36 of the 91 resorts listed in Negril. I also found it interesting to read the recents reports on #35!

Last edited by T-38; 07/07/2014 04:41 PM.
Offshore #142130 07/07/2014 09:43 PM
S
S
They shut down cruise ships all the time with cases of norwok virus,'s and other flu like symptoms. When you get a group of people in close quarters for a week at a time, your bound to pick up other peoples illness's and that's any communicable disease!!! Hint! Hint! Nudge! Nudge!

Offshore #142131 07/08/2014 05:33 AM
J
J
We don't go to Hedo expecting the Ritz-Carlton...but is asking for working air conditioning and not getting sick too much to ask?

But yet, you and the rest of us keep going back despite knowing of the downfalls.

I used to get sick after arriving back in the states. Since I started using Lysol on the AC, I have had no sickness problems. Unless they keep the AC in the rooms on at all times, you will have that problem in the tropics.

jcanino #142132 07/08/2014 06:01 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by jcanino

But yet, you and the rest of us keep going back despite knowing of the downfalls.

I used to get sick after arriving back in the states. Since I started using Lysol on the AC, I have had no sickness problems. Unless they keep the AC in the rooms on at all times, you will have that problem in the tropics.

That's why we keep the Lysol handy, and not only at Hedo but everywhere we travel. Recent reports about the lack of maintenance and unsanitary conditions in hotels (including the largest and fanciest chains) would either make one stay home or take proper precautions. We chose to take precautions and so far it has worked out for us.

Legionares, nurovirus, flu, etc are all going to be present in some strain when you get a large group of people together! You can either be a stay home and hide out or take the precautions you can and live life. We choose to live life!

Offshore #142133 07/08/2014 07:00 AM
C
C
Whenever we travel, we have a bottle of alcohol (not the drinking type...grin) that we use to wipe down the glasses of every hotel room we're in.

At Hedo, my husband removes the a/c filter and washes it in the shower and we Lysol it too, but there's still lots of black muck in there that we can't get to. Seems that way in most tropical locations though.

But before we did those things I stopped getting sick at Hedo when I stopped screaming/singing so much.

I'm not saying that 'rot' doesn't exist at Hedo...I'm just personally not worried about it, but I do hope the folks who became sick have a speedy recovery.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
jcanino #142134 07/08/2014 02:33 PM
P
P
I used to get sick after arriving back in the states.

I ALWAYS get sick upon returning to the states. The good thing is it's never a physical illness rather a mental illness (wait, that didn't come out right). And I keep on buying lottery tickets. Screw Disney World. LOL

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Offshore #142135 07/08/2014 06:30 PM
T
T
When crud is the problem, BLEACH is the solution...

Last edited by The Wizard; 07/08/2014 06:30 PM.
thedarkfather #142136 07/08/2014 10:27 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by thedarkfather
Originally Posted by jcanino

That's why we keep the Lysol handy, and not only at Hedo but everywhere we travel. Recent reports about the lack of maintenance and unsanitary conditions in hotels (including the largest and fanciest chains) would either make one stay home or take proper precautions. We chose to take precautions and so far it has worked out for us.

Legionares, nurovirus, flu, etc are all going to be present in some strain when you get a large group of people together! You can either be a stay home and hide out or take the precautions you can and live life. We choose to live life!

A good attitude makes all the difference in the world!! Taking proper precautions and CHOOSING to live your own life sounds like a recipe for success to me!! Respect every time!!

Offshore #142137 07/09/2014 06:48 AM
T
T
Some may find that drinking koolaid will improve one's attitude. I recommend cherry or strawberry that contains a good dose of red dye. The stuff is pretty much the same whether you drink it at home or in Jamaica.

Offshore #142138 07/09/2014 06:54 AM
D
D
On more occasions than I can recall, I've witnessed A/C filters being hosed off by guests or staff where jet black crud was coming off. I doubt there'd be THAT much junk if they were serviced more frequently.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Offshore #142139 07/09/2014 07:00 AM
P
P
Do the filters come out of these new(er) units? On some of the older ones I could never get it out, so I would have to soak it with Lysol while in place.
Made a mess of the floor below it... sick

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Offshore #142140 07/09/2014 07:45 PM
H
H
Lysol does not "kill" existing mold clorine and phsyical removal is needed. Lysol will inhibit, to a certain degree, the regrowth of mold.

From lysol.com website:
To control and prevent mold and mildew and their odors:

Apply to pre-cleaned surface. Allow to remain wet for 10 minutes. Let air dry.
Repeat applications in weekly intervals or when mold and mildew growth appears."

My can of spray Lysol says the same thing.

The operative action is "pre-cleaned."

Having said that, Lysol does have a product that does kill mold. It is called Lysol Mold & Mildew Blaster.

Chuck

T-38 #142141 07/09/2014 10:44 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by T-38
Some may find that drinking koolaid will improve one's attitude. I recommend cherry or strawberry that contains a good dose of red dye. The stuff is pretty much the same whether you drink it at home or in Jamaica.

No, I don't think drinking koolaid has anything to do with attitude, or Hedo for that matter, but I do think we can choose to have a positive attitude and that improves our lives no matter where we are or what we do. Or like some, we can choose to whine, and complain about anything and everything, (again, nothing specifically to do with Hedo) and choose to a negative path in life, and choose to find the negative in everything we do and that affects our lives. I was simply commenting that the poster had chosen to take the positive side which I find refreshing, considering the attitudes of some on this board. If you want to spend your vacation time focusing on nothing but the things you don't like or what you don't like that other people are doing, and just looking for something to complain about....have at it, I will take Koolaid over that anytime.

Offshore #142142 07/10/2014 04:59 AM
T
T
Well, I am at a loss for adequate words. I am sure that management enjoys reading some of these posts and those of us loyal guests who hope to gently pressure management into addressing concerns that we might have are somewhat dismayed. Addressing guest's concerns will only help ensure the future success of Hedo. Ignoring one's plight does not make anyone less a victim. What is the purpose of guest's comment cards,for instance, if guests should not express themselves by the various means available. Expressing valid concerns causes no harm while indicating placid acceptance of real concerns does send management the message that nothing has to be done. If some have no complaints, then they should not begrudge others the right to speak up. Of course logical thought can be tedious.

Offshore #142143 07/10/2014 05:51 AM
R
R
I think it should be the job of the resort to keep the filters clean and disinfected if they need that. Guests should not need to do that, although I am sure there will be someone who finds a way to disagree with that or to claim that my expectation here is unreasonable. smile
Roy

Last edited by Roy in NC; 07/10/2014 05:53 AM.
Offshore #142144 07/10/2014 07:03 AM
C
C
As a kool-aid drinker (apparently)...because I find Hedo to be a relatively cheap vacation for what I get, sometimes I'm amused by the developing nation infrastructure and organization of Hedo. It's like roughing it (camping can be fun!)...and gives us something to laugh/talk about. The many dumb things that go on seems like a cultural adventure to me.

But, yes, I prefer that hot water is available daily...and it generally seems to be these last 15 years or so! Yea! ....says the creature of simple joys...

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
Offshore #142145 07/10/2014 04:21 PM
D
D
Chris my dear....you camp at the Four Seasons....tongue in cheek firmly.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Offshore #142146 07/10/2014 06:45 PM
D
D
All I know is that if you have good vodka, Kool-aid isn't so bad except for your teeth..
Also, if you get a Hedo virus, all you need is more cowbell and everything will be all right

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
JaywhyTurtleCove, radarrogue, Standfas, SPX33, LonnieR
23805 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,585
HedoDiveMstr 5,130
Roy in VA 2,760
Bunz z 1,929
Chicago Jake 1,802