Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,569,301 why WWW
632,693 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changes in Loyalty Programs
#133604 12/21/2018 05:24 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Just got an email from Hedo, ditching the 14/3 program, changing the repeater prizes.

Question, does the line "Regardless of the amount, these vouchers may only be redeemed directly with
the resort." mena we cannot use these voiuchers when booking with a travel agent?

The whole thing stinks, with the increase in prices, these vouchers do not amount to very much of anything.

Unhappy campers here
Judy

Re: Changes in Loyalty Programs
repeatoffender4th #133605 12/22/2018 04:28 AM
D
Online Content
D
I also received the letter, I had a little different view, the 14+3 changed, but now we only have to purchase 12 nights to get the 700 instead of having to purchase 14, but the 700 reward is closer to 2 nights rather than 3. The prizes at the repeater party also changed, but that is completely free, so no purchase on my part required to receive the prize, so I really can't complain. (most resorts don't do anything like this for repeat guests). However I do see the point, unless the cash prizes adjust for rising room prices, the reward may diminish over time, but at any rate...trimming a few hundred bucks off my total vacation costs is still something that I appreciate.

repeatoffender4th #133606 12/22/2018 06:07 AM
T
Junior Member (<31 posts)
T
It seems like the email advising this change in the loyalty program leaves a few questions unanswered.

Coming from the UK, we only have a once weekly direct flight from our local airport, so our trips to Hedo are always 14 days duration.
So, under the new loyalty program, we book 12 nights at the resort but we have a 14 day gap between flights.
At what point do we get the $700 voucher to pay towards the extra 2 nights we need?
If we can't book those 2 nights until we arrive at the resort, then we run the risk of the resort being full and having to find alternate accommodation.
Even if we can book to extend our stay when we arrive in the resort, what rate will the hotel charge for the extra nights? As davenrose mentions above, $700 should be close to 2 nights of value, but if the resort decides to use the standard rack rate when the vouchers are redeemed, then there wont be much value left after paying for just 1 night.

Questions, questions...……..

repeatoffender4th #133607 12/22/2018 06:11 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Davenrose,

My opinion also figures in that someone staying in a prude garden view room is given the same $700 off for purchasing 12 nights as we would be getting when purchasing 12 nights in the OVN room we have always booked. so the $700 is more like 1 night for us right now, that will be less than 1 night at 2019 prices no doubt. VERY disappointing, when, for the past 15 years we have done the 14/3 each year, and several years paid for more than 14.

Hedo needs to keep in mind it is cheaper to keep a current customer than it is to win a new one, but I guess they don't care about the repeaters as much any more. Oh well, our money spends everywhere.

JMHO
Judy

repeatoffender4th #133608 12/22/2018 07:34 AM
D
Online Content
D
Originally Posted by repeatoffender4th
Davenrose,

My opinion also figures in that someone staying in a prude garden view room is given the same $700 off for purchasing 12 nights as we would be getting when purchasing 12 nights in the OVN room we have always booked. so the $700 is more like 1 night for us right now, that will be less than 1 night at 2019 prices no doubt. VERY disappointing, when, for the past 15 years we have done the 14/3 each year, and several years paid for more than 14.

Hedo needs to keep in mind it is cheaper to keep a current customer than it is to win a new one, but I guess they don't care about the repeaters as much any more. Oh well, our money spends everywhere.

JMHO
Judy

Exactly, not saying that this change won't affect our vacation plans going forward...it certainly will, and it certainly could have a bigger impact if booking higher cost rooms, I am only saying that I am not aware of any similar perks at other resorts, so any credits or perks are better than nothing, with that said, this is the incentive we needed to explore other places and options where in the past, we just booked Hedo.

repeatoffender4th #133609 12/22/2018 07:42 AM
C
C
Judy,
You say that you have gotten 3 free OVN nights for 15 years in a row. Using today's prices that is (3 x $700) $2100 x 15 years which equals $ 31,500. (Yes, I know that total isn't exact due to price increases over the years, but we have to keep this simple.)
So about 30 grand in free nights. Hmmmm, and you are complaining?
Where is your gratitude for those free nights? Instead you have an attitude of entitlement?
The fact that Hedo has offered this deal has always been amazing. Not only the 14/3 but the nights given away during the repeater parties. They have never HAD to do this.
You claim your money spends elsewhere. And what other resorts will give you free nights? I have never heard of any other resorts that do this, but please enlighten me.
Hedo is a business and MUST run like one. Most people are redeeming the 3 free nights in the last two months of the year. How can Hedo pay its bills while giving away so many rooms for free in the same two months?
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, and are welcome to stay elsewhere. But to complain about a resort who has been giving you 3 free nights for 15 years seems petty.
Cowgirl

Cowgirl
8th trip: Dec. 2018
repeatoffender4th #133610 12/22/2018 09:52 AM
H
H
Cowgirl,
I also have used the 14/3 program for many years. It gave me incentive to go to Hedo twice a year rather than just once. I looked at this as an incentive designed to increase traffic during their historically slow time of the year (Summer to December). My second trip in the year was in the last three months which helped the resort fill rooms during this slow portion of the year. A win-win.

For a couple of years, Hedo dropped the 14/3 program and then reinstated it. Perhaps bookings dropped in the second half of the year? Surely, they re-examined the program and decided it would increase their bottom line to reinstate it.

But that was then. The new Hedo is working harder on filling the resort every week with groups and other promotions. It has greatly improved the facilities, food, and entertainment. (Sadly, not the wine IMHO.) Perhaps this change in the repeater program will work as they expect. Or, perhaps in a couple years Hedo will revisit it.

repeatoffender4th #133611 12/22/2018 10:50 AM
C
C
Hedo Rick,
Super Clubs did indeed start this program to fill empty rooms. Hedo food and room quality was so low compared to their other properties, that Superclubs had to find a way to coax people to come back a second time in one year.
As you say, Hedo has changed. Harry has spent millions to improve the Hedo experience. He has to find a way to make the resort a profitable business in order to stay open. The first week of December 2018 was booked at 100 % capacity when we were there for the Reggae races. I do wonder how many of those people booked that week for the 14/3 promotion.
But you, and all of us, expect the same quality of food, service and entertainment during those 3 "free" days that we got during the days that we paid for. Hedo has to pay their employees and their bills even during those 3 free days when you and I are NOT paying anything. Free days are both a boon and a hindrance to the resort's financial success. They must carefully weigh how much money is brought in by the repeat visits versus how much money they have lost on the 3 free rooms we each redeemed.
Once again, I condsider myself very lucky to have earned the 14/3 deal for the first time ever this year. Anyone who can afford to go Hedo for 2 weeks a year is already richer than the majority of Jamaicans, and richer than many Americans. I think it is disgusting that people who have "been given" thousands of dollars of free rooms for the past 15 years are now whining that the promotion isn't as "sweet" a deal as they have gotten in the past. What an ungrateful bunch.

Last edited by cowgirl; 12/22/2018 10:52 AM.

Cowgirl
repeatoffender4th #133613 12/22/2018 12:49 PM
L
L
Your perspective is a tad harsh Cowgirl....repeat customers are incredibly appreciative of the Hedo experience made possible more often due to the 14+3 promotion over the years. The cool thing about Hedo is that competing with others / acting entitled is rarely present but Trip Advisor postings for other 4 star resorts certainly is proof that these ugy attitudes are alive and well at OTHER resorts. Yes, anyone who can afford to travel to Jamaica is extremely fortunate but other sacrifices are made in many cases ( judging by the number of blue and pink collar people we have met). It is great that people are clearly expressing their feelings about the new program....it is very helpul feedback for the resort.

Last edited by Lucie73; 12/22/2018 12:55 PM.

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
repeatoffender4th #133614 12/22/2018 01:04 PM
G
G
Our question is when can you use the $700 credit? If you are there during a second week trip, after the 12th night do they allow you to use the credit on spa, wine, etc or do they say you have to use it on your next trip or booking. For people who just book weekly trips we would need to book a third week to apply the credit against the room fare,

Gary & Kathy
repeatoffender4th #133616 12/22/2018 02:17 PM
D
D
Beware when people try to equate the value of the awards to room nights. People tend to value the rooms based on the time of year that they travel. They don't have the rates for all year and all room categories and all sales and promotions. Even within a room category, there is a wide spread between the cheapest and most expensive time of the year.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Lucie73 #133617 12/22/2018 03:26 PM
C
C
Lucie73,
Perhaps you saw different posts than I did. The original poster never once said anything “appreciative” at all about Hedo or her 15 years of free days in either of her posts. Her comments: “This stinks,” “unhappy camper”, “very disappointing” (twice) “these vouchers don’t amount to much of anything” and “I guess they don’t care about repeaters as much any more” seem pretty harsh when she has been getting 3 free nights for 15 years. Hedo DOES NOT have to offer anything free. They could have simply ended the 14/3. But they are still trying to reward repeaters by doing the vouchers. It may not be as sweet a deal, but count your blessings that they are still offering free stuff in this uncertain economy.
And her complaining that people who book GVP, (as I, a teacher, can only afford to do) are getting the same $ voucher as she does who books the expensive rooms is the straw that broke the camel’s back!
That is totally acting entitled.
So yes Lucie73, you are correct that the ugly attitudes of the OP don’t belong at Hedo.
Cowgirl

Cowgirl
repeatoffender4th #133620 12/23/2018 12:08 AM
W
W
I see Hedo trying to get those of us that do 17 day stints to reduce our stays to 14 days. I have often commented on the fact we arrive on a Friday and leave on a Monday or Tuesday. It has to screw up those who want to stay from Sat to Sat, but can only get rooms after we leave. Basically we tie up 2 weekends. Remember all the bumping to other resorts.

repeatoffender4th #133621 12/23/2018 06:15 AM
H
H
since my i pay for double occupancy, is the $700.00 x2 or split between the 2 ?

happy cpl #133622 12/23/2018 09:35 AM
W
W
Originally Posted by happy cpl
since my i pay for double occupancy, is the $700.00 x2 or split between the 2 ?

It's $700.00 per room, not per person. And must be used in the same calendar year. Per Hedo.

repeatoffender4th #133623 12/23/2018 02:17 PM
R
R&N Offline
R
In the past "Rewards" or "Prises" were good for 12 months. We used what we won to book a repeat. But not everyone can go to Jamaica twice in one calendar year. If I were to "win" the prize is worthless to us. and with the air costs and time lost in basic travel to H2 from Ohio 1 day each way. Not sure if the new program is of any value at all what with the "Use it THIS YEAR" requirement, even with the no cost to prizes given out at the repeater party.

35 trips so far. #36 1st week Feb
A semi-permanent resident of "The Library"
repeatoffender4th #133625 12/23/2018 02:41 PM
D
D
The old 14+3 was only good through Dec 20. So the 700-12 program going though Dec 31 is actually an improvement - in that regards, anyway. (Not saying I like the rest of the program.)

The repeater prize awards are good for 1 year. See https://dennyp.com/HedonismII/ for details on both programs.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
repeatoffender4th #133626 12/23/2018 03:49 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Wow Cowgirl.

Where did I say I was unappreciative? We would not have met nearly as many friends nor had nearly as many good times without the 14/3 program, and very likely would not have returned as often. We have done at least 17 paid nights per year, even in the last couple of years of Superclubs ownership when the food was awful, booze ran out and good luck having AC and hot water in your room. Even when the prices increased dramatically, we still went. Do they owe it to us? Nope, they can cut it right off whenever they want. I do not have to like it, though. My cheapskate self will find other ways to have a great vacation for a bargain, at Hedo or not.

My main concern and dissappointment was the flat rate the new program will be disbursed. As I stated. It is not rewarding apples for apples and oranges for oranges and IMHO, its not as fair as the free nights. I would have preferred cutting it to 14/2 or something.

But it is not my circus and not my poo flinging monkey to clean up after.

Feel free to fling more.

Judy

we2are469 #133627 12/23/2018 04:52 PM
C
C
More people DO arrive on weekends than weekdays, but people are in/out every day of the week. If Hedo is trying to force 14-day stays instead of 17, I'd be surprised.

So...from what we're saying here (and I'd like clarification...) if you hit your 12th paid day you have to be AT the resort to receive the voucher for $700? The $700 isn't applied to the trip when you pay for it (months in advance)? That makes no sense to me and if it's true it's a double kick in the balls.

Besides the reduction in benefit, I don't like the following:

--No inflation factor in the $700 credit (rooms are more pricey every year)
--Trotting this program out late Friday before a holiday weekend (politicians do stuff like this so we'll be so exhausted that by the time our responses matter we'll be less angry and on to the next crisis in our lives).
--Only 10 days' notice till it takes effect: many of us have already planned/booked/paid for air for our 2019 trips based on the 14/3 program.

Yes, Hedo is completely within its rights; it's not our biz to run.

So what? I'm still furious as a long-time customer. 14/3 has been our one sacred cow. We just mumble about the other stuff. I do recommend you all write to mgmt if you are displeased or even as angry as I am. You can email me at chris@chrissantilli.com if you want possible wording to personalize and a list of who to email.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
repeatoffender4th #133628 12/23/2018 05:23 PM
H
H
With the price increases and the end of the 14/3 who is Kevin trying to attract? We have been going twice a year since I retired (sometimes three times). Not only do we have the time we have the cash. I read somewhere that Kevin was trying to attract a younger crowd. That would be great but he must not forget about us veteran Hedo goers that visit a couple times a year.

repeatoffender4th #133629 12/23/2018 08:35 PM
C
C
FWIW... We've been very appreciative of the 14/3 program. It's incented us to book probably 15 of our 40+ trips over 18 years. That said, it's human nature to feel that a take-away is a lousy thing. Those who were around ~10 years ago remember when Superclubs cancelled the 14/3 in mid-year. That rightfully created a huge backlash. I was among them, since we'd already booked & paid for our Noember trip, including the 3 free days. That was an amateur-night move by S'clubs, and they reinstated 14/3 within a couple of months. Of course, it's any business's right to change offers as they please. But unless the place is near full most every week, I suspect this will impact their bottom line, since folks (like us) will forego a 2nd or 3rd yearly trip. And it obviously creates some angst among some of the repeaters, who've been cheerleaders for Hedo and brought in a fair bit of new business over the years.

I can understand some of the rationale. Aside from being cheaper, the 12/700 makes it easier for folks who can only book a total of 14 days.... and it gives the option to use the $ for other stuff besides extra days. Those are nice things for some folks. Similarly, the changes to the repeaters' party have pros & cons. I personally like the three $500 drawings - 3 small winners is better than 1 big winner IMO. Personally, I think it would be smart to offer both the 14/3 and 12/700 options, at the guests' choice (at least for the near term). That would turn a customer relations negative into a positive.

Last edited by Chris_in_VT; 12/23/2018 08:39 PM.

Chris in FL (previously VT)
repeatoffender4th #133630 12/24/2018 09:11 AM
C
C
It would be interesting to see the stats on Hedo's guests these days. What % are repeaters on any given week. What % are (soon to be were) using vouchers? IMO, it's a good idea for them to market more aggressively to younger folks - just to broaden out the appeal and grow their client base. From our recent trips, it looks like they're getting some traction with that.... the # of folks in their 20s & 30s is still small, but easily twice what it was in prior years. That doesn't mean you pay less attention to your established clients of course.

Denny - Have you seen any (perhaps slight) shift towards younger guests in the last year or 2? And if you'd care to share.... Roughly what % of bookings are repeaters & what % of them use vouchers (just off the top of your head)? Happy holidays folks!

cowgirl #133631 12/24/2018 09:48 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by cowgirl
Super Clubs did indeed start this program to fill empty rooms. Hedo food and room quality was so low compared to their other properties, that Superclubs had to find a way to coax people to come back a second time in one year. ….
…. I think it is disgusting that people who have "been given" thousands of dollars of free rooms for the past 15 years are now whining that the promotion isn't as "sweet" a deal as they have gotten in the past. What an ungrateful bunch.

I'll wade in briefly.... (since obviously I've got nothing better to do...). smile

There are still plenty of empty rooms at various times of the year. Occupancy was in the 30% range during 2 of our 2018 trips, and the buffet was closed for dinner as a result. Hedo continues to compete with a host of other resorts - more these days than in past years. And many of the repeat guests that we know do trips to Desire, Hidden Beach, and various other places in Negril & elsewhere. So IMHO, Hedo still needs to coax folks to come back. Yes, Harry's made many nice upgrades. The prices have risen accordingly. (...Queue the fond memories of the $98pp/nite days...)

2nd, I'm with Lucie. Saying "disgusting", "whining", "what an ungrateful bunch", etc... is a bit harsh IMO. Folks should be able to express displeasure with policies, costs, service, etc... in a civil manner without being personally attacked for their opinions. And I'll add that folks haven't really "been given" those free days. That's been part of the business deal that's been offered, and many folks have booked more days than they otherwise would have to 'earn' those days. Onward to wrap a last gift or 2.....

Last edited by Chris_in_VT; 12/24/2018 09:51 AM.

repeatoffender4th #133632 12/24/2018 12:18 PM
H
H
Why are the airlines raising there prices? The price of gas has come down.

repeatoffender4th #133633 12/24/2018 08:00 PM
C
C
I agree that the point of this forum is to be able to discuss Hedo in a civil manner.
I apologize to Judy, the OP for saying that she was being ungrateful.
I also apologize for saying that I was disgusted that people were whining about no longer getting free nights.
Denny's forum should be a positive, safe place that we can all look forward to visiting. I will do my best to not post anything negative towards anyone else.
Cowgirl

Last edited by cowgirl; 12/25/2018 08:48 AM.

Cowgirl
repeatoffender4th #133638 12/26/2018 05:14 PM
C
C
I, like many others, received an email from Randy Russell at Hedonism II. He said he was 'disappointed' that I felt the way I did (upset/angry) about losing the 14/3 loyalty program. Now I'm even madder. How dare he basically accuse me of doing something wrong. Geesh! Hedo needs to get its act together and not insult its guests.

From what I can tell--from those who shared their letters/responses with me, apparently the guests who gave voice to their dismay/anger/upset etc. were treated with the 'disappointed' language. Others were not.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
repeatoffender4th #133641 12/27/2018 04:05 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I haven't had a chance to respond to the email, but from what you are saying, I probably won't even bother.

Booked Bonaire for this year anyway. <shrugs>

Judy

repeatoffender4th #133644 12/27/2018 03:34 PM
C
C
I did just receive an apology from Hedo for the wording in the reply. I also learned that if guests have already booked at least 14 days for 2019 that they will be able to use the 14/3 program in 2019 only. It's a start! Keep up the pressure. Let's get the program grandfathered for those who've long used it!

Bothering does matter (just like voting!). Without a barage of emails, Hedo can ignore its guests. With a barage, it might not. That's good enough for me to keep encouraging us to apply pressure as a group.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
repeatoffender4th #133646 12/27/2018 05:41 PM
D
D
I've updated the page summarizing the new guest reward programs with information recently received from the resort. Access that page on the main Hedonism II Resort page.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
S&KNC, Curious Mama, slutass, MrsW, Itsnursejessi
23530 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,247
HedoDiveMstr 5,117
Roy in NC 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,919
Chicago Jake 1,760