Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,569,307 why WWW
632,696 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
newbie questions about getting to hedo
#133582 12/18/2018 06:02 AM
M
Junior Member (<31 posts)
OP Offline
M
Hi all this is our first post.
Are there any members from the uk who can give advice on the best way to get to hedo from the uk and how long
do you normally stay for. it seems a shame to lose two days travelling if you only book a week. Many thanks.

Re: newbie questions about getting to hedo
Mr &Mrs A #133583 12/18/2018 07:37 AM
L
L
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am not from the UK, but you may find it helpful to know that there are two international airports in Jamaica. You want to fly in to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay, the airport code is MBJ. The other one is in Kingston and is at the other end of the island. There are a few options to make the hour or so ride from the airport to the hotel. There are multiple taxis available at the airport, if you don't make prior arrangements you will still be fine.

Last edited by Loni and Jim; 12/18/2018 07:37 AM.
Mr &Mrs A #133584 12/18/2018 08:27 AM
T
T
While not a Brit, I can tell you that many Americans plan an extra day on the front end at a minimum just to handle the travel time adjustment needed from most USA flight cities.

Losing almost a full day/night at Hedo hurts and for those traveling thru 5-7 time zones like yourself it pays to book at least an extra night or two at Hedo. Presuming you fly and arrive on a Saturday, booking 8-9 nights means that you will at least get a full weekend experience (usually when the resort is full or nearly full) before returning home.

Besides, I have never met anyone that wishes they would have booked FEWER nights at Hedo.

As for airport transfers from Montego Bay, I have used Rocky's Taxi Service for years both personally and for my group rather than a group bus (that may stop at several family resorts before reaching Hedo). Rocky's is professional/safe, friendly, reasonable, and private and goes directly to Hedo unless you request a stop along the way. Plus they always have a cold Red Stripe Beer or water waiting for you in their cars/vans.

Ann, The TravelSlut
Krewe de Krazy Lifers 12th Annual Group Hedo Trip June 16-23, 2018- open to all singles/couples
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTravelSlut/videos

"Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere!"
The Travel Slut #133585 12/18/2018 09:06 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for your reply.
It looks as if the cheapest way is just to spend 9 or 10 nights at hedo.
We are finding it difficult to book flights and accommodation separately maybe
Because it’s too early yet. Our worry is if we don’t book soon we will not get
the dates we are after.

Mr &Mrs A #133586 12/18/2018 09:38 AM
C
C
Dear Mr & Mrs A,

All the Brits I know book well over one week--2 at least. The nonstop between London and Montego Bay (MBJ) is fastest/best way to go. Kingston is MUCH farther from Hedo. Hedo is about 1.5 hours from MBJ, depending on traffic.

I use the taxi service Mr. Reasonable (Linley Grant, the husband of a previous Hedo bartender, Anna) (linleygrant@yahoo.com) for his excellent, fast communications, clean cars, and reliable service. R/T (in US cash paid on the first leg arriving at Hedo) is likely around $120-$140 plus about $10 tip each way.

Cheaper transport from MoBay to Hedo is available from two bus companies with desks at the airport (as you exit customs; anyone can direct you): JTL (slower/around $20-$22 bucks per person each way) and Sun Holiday (faster/just a couple bucks more). Usually you can just show up without reservations, but make reservations for the return trip at the airport.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
Mr &Mrs A #133588 12/18/2018 09:53 AM
P
P
Just to make your decision more difficult: Because some flights arrive later in the day, and you might want to crash and sleep the first day/night, some folks book the first day in a cheaper spot in Negril (there are plenty of peaceful non-inclusive resorts to chose from). That way you don't feel like you are missing out on the party because you can't stay awake. I find a trip total of 10 days works out well.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Mr &Mrs A #133589 12/18/2018 12:03 PM
C
C
Just to echo a couple of things..... You definitely want to fly into Montego Bay / MBJ. That's about 90 minutes' drive to Hedo. vs. Kingston which is about 3 hours away. There are many private taxis to choose from. It's best to arrange one ahead of time, and be sure to confirm the price. $60 each way is typical. Taxis are much more convenient IMO, esp. since we just had a rather long wait taking the JTL bus recently. If you do decide to book a bus, DennyP can arrange that for you with either Sunholiday or JTL. Both are fine and reputable (though can be slower getting to Hedo), and cost around half of the taxi fare. We routinely use 2 drivers. Both are excellent: Biggs: (876) 410-0536 or Mike: (876) 815-7928

If you'll arrive in Negril in the evening, staying the first night in a small nearby hotel is a nice option - saves a few $100US. (Negril Treehouse, Charela & Fun Holiday are 3 of many decent places, which are typically around $130US/nite.) Then you can grab a 10 minute taxi in the morning and start your Hedo visit refreshed.

Chris in FL (previously VT)
chris santilli #133590 12/18/2018 05:57 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by chris santilli

I use the taxi service Mr. Reasonable (Linley Grant, the husband of a previous Hedo bartender, Anna) (linleygrant@yahoo.com) for his excellent, fast communications, clean cars, and reliable service. R/T (in US cash paid on the first leg arriving at Hedo) is likely around $120-$140 plus about $10 tip each way.

I also hire Linley and can recommend him as well. This past weekend, I confirmed my pick-up with him. I've hired him 3 years in a row and never regret doing so.

Also: I used to know a couple from Canada (Vancouver, B.C., to be precise) that booked two solid weeks, mainly because their travel time was about 24 hours each way (they could never get a direct flight, so they would fly from B.C. to Seattle and then change again at either Atlanta or Florida).

As for me, coming from NYC, I do a 10 day trip, FWIW.

Mr &Mrs A #133592 12/18/2018 10:06 PM
H
H
Mr. and Mrs. A,

You might want to go to Trip Advisor and look up Azul Beach Resort Negril. This is a resort 2 resorts away from Hedo, and a lot of Brits go to it (thru TUI). You could ask some British reviewers for their input, on that web site.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Hedo-regular #133595 12/19/2018 12:30 AM
M
OP Offline
M
we just spent two weeks at this resort, it was here we meet a couple who were staying one night then of to hedo for a week. It was them who convinced us to get a day pass at hedo.

Mr &Mrs A #133596 12/20/2018 07:28 AM
H
H
To be thorough in your research, you might want to check on prices for flying from the UK to Miami, over-nighting there, and getting the first plane to Montego Bay in the morning.
I believe some French friends of mine did it that way, but I think they didn't have any direct flights from France to Jamaica.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Mr &Mrs A #133597 12/20/2018 09:00 AM
P
P
Because prices in Jamaica tend to be pegged to the U.S. dollar (which is very strong right now), people from a non U.S. country can often book at a better price with an agent that specializes in the country. I am in Canada, and I have been able to get a discount in the past because our dollar is so weak now.
It's worth asking.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Mr &Mrs A #133599 12/20/2018 02:48 PM
D
D
I just received special rates for Canadian and European clients. The resort recently realized this problem with exchange rates for those areas.

Use the link in my signature line below to request a quote. Make sure to mention if you are a Canadian or European client.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Mr &Mrs A #133601 12/21/2018 12:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
thanks for all your help, we booked yesterday. going on the 6th dec 2019 for 11 nights. we cant wait.
Going to have lots of questions regarding theme nights ect in the new year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
S&KNC, Curious Mama, slutass, MrsW, Itsnursejessi
23530 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,247
HedoDiveMstr 5,117
Roy in NC 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,919
Chicago Jake 1,760