Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,629,313 why WWW
647,260 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
First Visit Questions
#132872 04/03/2018 03:02 PM
R
Junior Member (<31 posts)
OP Offline
R
Hello experts!
I have my ticket booked to Jamaica and now I have a decision to make.
A little background: This is my first non-cruise visit to Jamaica. I am a 38 yr old solo female traveler, active in the poly/kink lifestyle since 2011 and I will be arriving one day after spending a week at a kink camping event in Maryland. (phew, that's a lot to unpack. feel free to ask questions, lol). I need to relax, in a tropical way y'all! Go big or go home, right?!

Do I save my $ and stay at the 3-star AI I booked on the advice of TA forum people on 7 mile beach, and visit Hedo on a visitor pass to socialize, check it out, and play? If I do this, what day of the week is best for a night visit? (I'll be in JA Tues to Sun)
or
Do I spend $413 extra ($82.60 per day) and move my reservation over to Hedo (garden prude side to save $)?
What are the pros and cons? Will I end up spending that $82 anyway to amuse myself along long bay beach?

I'm worried about
- being burnt out after the week at "sex camp" and wanting to vegetate on the beach
- FOMO (fear of missing out) at both places
- being a solo female at Hedo and not knowing anyone

I'm a wine drinker and the AI where I booked doesn't actually have wine, except at dinner. So, I would either drink beer all day, which doesn't sound awesome, or going to the shop to buy my own. smirk Whats the wine/champagne situation at Hedo? Should I just put on my big-girl pants and try some new drinks? (can't do all the sugary stuff though. What do you guys do?)

Do people venture out of the resort at all? I'd love to do the One Love bus with a group, or go eat lobster on Booby Cay.

Yeah, this is a lot. Sorry I crammed it into one post, but thank you in advance for humoring me! smile

Re: First Visit Questions
redcurlsinMD #132873 04/03/2018 03:21 PM
C
C
Hi RedCurls!
Sounds like you'd have a blast at Hedo...both socializing and being a beach slug. The beach at Hedo is L-O-N-G for any type of temperament at any given time of day. The closer to the nude beach bar, the more socializing goes on. You pick.

I'd be bored out of my head staying at a 3-star AI resort in Negril, esp. alone. Hedo gives you the choices you may want at any given moment. ...Including more choices in dining and drinking.

Yes, try other beverages (the wine served free at Hedo is mostly less than average in quality (but yes we drink it), but the champagne is cold and not too sweet and drinkable). If you want to upgrade your wine, Hedo has a wine bar with bottles that are more drinkable--prices vary, starting in the $30 range, if I recall. Think about Gin & Tonic for nonsweet. Maybe a scotch? Hedo's bar is top notch and so are most of its bartenders. I drink pinapple/rum--gold--with a topper of grapefruit to kill the sweet (aka the Chris Piss because of its color).

Being a solo female at Hedo is NEVER a problem. Everyone likes hanging with the single gals--especially one as open-minded as you. Even if you are burnt out from sex camp, you can still have loads of great interactions at Hedo. Granted, those who want your flesh with need firmer language if they get pesky.

Yes, people venture out: Grab a group of 2-5 others for dinner out at Xtabi (caves on a cliff/seafood) or LTU pub (wiener schnitzel on a cliff/sunset!). The One Love pub crawl is lovely...see if any groups that week are doing one and join in. Usually $10 + tip for driver and you buy your own drinks--often $3-$4 beers at the various pubs during the crawl. You can go horseback riding (lovely ride) and go to waterfalls (YS or Mayfield) for day-long trips. But I'd do that stuff on a future trip when you have more time.

If you do go for only ONE night, think about Friday night (costume: rockstar, but fewer than 10% of guests dress up) because all the specialty restaurants are closed for dinner so the bustling business of the dining room comes alive with a fabulous HUGE higher-end buffet. Winston Bartley (head of entertainment) sings rock 'n' roll that night on stage after 9pm, which adds a lot of punch to the evening.

By being at Hedo you won't miss out--because most of what you can do at your 3-star AI is also available at Hedo, except for the potential intimacy if it's a small AI in Negril. Walking in Negril at night as a single gal is not a good idea.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
redcurlsinMD #132874 04/03/2018 06:15 PM
T
T
@redcurlsinMD - it seems to me that you have already talked yourself into going to Hedo, you just want confirmation that it's the right decision. The reason why I say that is because you've obviously posted in a message board of people who enjoy Hedo (I've been going since 1988 -- yes, I'm that old), so that would tend to mean you're likely going to get responses that are in favor of Hedo. If you came across like a jerk in your post (spoiler alert: you didn't!), then folks might be inclined to suggest you stay elsewhere because while Hedo can be great fun, running into jerks can be something of a buzz kill, even at Hedo.

Having said all of that, I'll try to answer your go vs. don't go question:

My experience in life is that you tend to regret things you don't do more than the things you do.

Would you feel worse if you went to Hedo for a full week and found you didn't like it or would you feel worse if you just went there for a day or night pass and feel as though you missed out by not spending your entire vacation there?

It's your money and you should spend it as you wish. Whatever you wind up doing, have a great, fun and restful trip. If you don't try Hedo this time around, then maybe keep it in mind for the future. Best of luck with your choice.

redcurlsinMD #132875 04/04/2018 05:44 AM
L
L
RedCurls,

Welcome to the forum! My wife and I have been going to Hedo and Jamaica since 2001. 10+ trips to Hedo and another 7 or so in Mobay and Runaway Bay gives me, I feel, a good perspective.

I must tell you that you have been blessed with the honor of having the almighty, Queen of Hedo and book author extraordinaire, Chris Santilli be the first to respond to your first post!

I really can't think of one good reason to not stay at Hedo. Part of your savings will be eaten up with taxi fare zipping around the island and to travel to Hedo for a day or night pass. The beach is very long and if you want a morning, hour or two or a day in peace and quiet, you could set up camp on the prude side of the beach, nearest to Sandals and you could easily be no closer than 200 feet to the next person. As said above, the closer you get to the nude pool area, the more busy (and social) it gets.

I drink a lot of wine at home also, but during the day at Hedo I enjoy Appleton and Ting, beer and the occasional water. the wine in the main dining room is drinkable-think bonfire/tailgate in our high school days. The wine at Pastafari (the Italian restaurant-included in price) is much better!

As far as being nervous about being a single gal at Hedo-please do not worry. You will be the center of attention and at the top of the food chain, should you wish to be.

By the way you wrote your first post, I think you will truly enjoy your stay and forever regret it, should you decide to stay elsewhere. The nights at Hedo are fun, but for many, myself included, the social aspect of the nude beach and nude pool during the day is what I look forward to all year. Don't limit yourself, go and have fun!

Jim, of Loni and Jim

redcurlsinMD #132876 04/04/2018 07:17 AM
H
H
I agree with the other posters.

I would add that Wednesday night is Fetish and Leather night, if you do decide on only a night pass.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Loni and Jim #132878 04/04/2018 10:57 AM
C
C
Good lord, Loni & Jim...your kind words are appreciated, but let's face it...I'm just an old broad who's happy to belly up to the bar to listen bawdy tales...that I write down...grin!

I'm hoping RedCurls talks herself into Hedo if only because single gals add so much to the ambiance! Besides the idea that she might get hooked like so many of us since she'll find her own niche there.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
redcurlsinMD #132879 04/04/2018 01:17 PM
P
Online Content
P
OK, I'll add my own 2 cents worth:
If you are tired or burned out from a previous engagement, Hedo is a good place to chill out for a few days to recover - no one will get in your face if you want to be alone. When the mood hits, you can jump into any of the groups and start to party at your own pace. Single women pretty much call the shots around Hedo.

If you stay somewhere else Sand Gravity might kick in and you will just vegetate for the week - I suspect that is not your goal.
Also, if you are traveling alone get a quote for the Single Person room rate. Hedo is one of the few places that will give a discount if there is only one booked into the room.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Parracky Parrot #132880 04/04/2018 01:58 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by Parracky Parrot
If you are tired or burned out from a previous engagement, Hedo is a good place to chill out for a few days to recover - no one will get in your face if you want to be alone. When the mood hits, you can jump into any of the groups and start to party at your own pace. Single women pretty much call the shots around Hedo.

If you stay somewhere else Sand Gravity might kick in and you will just vegetate for the week - I suspect that is not your goal.
Also, if you are traveling alone get a quote for the Single Person room rate. Hedo is one of the few places that will give a discount if there is only one booked into the room.

Don't know where you heard that singles get a discount rate. I've been going to Hedo for 35 years, always as a solo, and there's an upcharge of 120% or 150% to the per person rate for single occupancy, depending upon the season or promotion being offered. The only way I guess you could call it a discount, is if you were basing that upon the dual occupancy per person rate for both people.

LyleM #132881 04/04/2018 02:41 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by LyleM

Don't know where you heard that singles get a discount rate. I've been going to Hedo for 35 years, always as a solo, and there's an upcharge of 120% or 150% to the per person rate for single occupancy, depending upon the season or promotion being offered.
Same here.

Last edited by The Onanist; 04/04/2018 02:42 PM.
redcurlsinMD #132882 04/04/2018 03:53 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Oh my, I am overwhelmed at the response! You all are so generous with your advice and I sincerely appreciate it. Chris: all excellent points. I was trying to tell myself that I'm a big badass and not afraid to walk alone at night, but I also don't want to be a stupid badass, lol.
Onanist: with age comes wisdom. You're right. I am trying to talk myself into it. The big thing keeping me from pulling the trigger in the first places is that I don't particularly feel comfortable nude without any liquid courage. And in day-to-day life I'm not a big drinker. But I tell myself that this is vacation and I'm no one's mommy or boss in Jamaica.
Jim: thank you for the lovely words! Can I at least wear a sarong into the nude pool area and take it off once I'm sitting? I've no issues showing off the girls, but I'm a tad shy about the mom-belly. But I don't want to try and socialize only to be kicked out of the nude pool bar! lol
Parrot: I think you might have tipped the scales in favor of Hedo. I was precisely worried about willingly booking into a "tropical sex camp" after spending a week at a woodland sex camp. (is there such a thing as too much sex camp? I digress...)

As far as rates go, any secret squirrel tips on finding the best deal? Online booking sites are dismal, and one of the 2 groups going the week I am there is "sold out." (goes looking for the "single girl needs a roommate for Hedo message board...)

LyleM #132883 04/04/2018 04:15 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by LyleM

Don't know where you heard that singles get a discount rate. I've been going to Hedo for 35 years, always as a solo, and there's an upcharge of 120% or 150% to the per person rate for single occupancy, depending upon the season or promotion being offered. The only way I guess you could call it a discount, is if you were basing that upon the dual occupancy per person rate for both people.

I think what PP was saying is that most hotels charge the same amount for a room whether there are one or two people in it. But one person alone pays less than a couple would at Hedo. You guys are both saying the same thing, but in different ways.

redcurlsinMD #132884 04/04/2018 04:15 PM
L
L
You'll likely find Hedo very welcoming, regardless whether you're nude or not, and regardless of your relative state of intoxication / sobriety. It's one of those things that just seems to happen to people.

Once you're there, you're also very likely to forget about the mom-belly. There will be people of all size, shape, condition and description....... and you'll just be one of them. Nobody will care about it, and you probably won't either after a few minutes.

This forum is run by DennyP and he's one of the best in the business for booking Hedo at reasonable rates. On the home page of this website, there's a red button where you can request a quote from him!

Best of luck to you........ it all gonna be great!

LyleM #132885 04/04/2018 04:24 PM
D
D
LyleM - I appreciate the words of support.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Chicago Jake #132886 04/04/2018 04:27 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Chicago Jake
I think what PP was saying is that most hotels charge the same amount for a room whether there are one or two people in it. But one person alone pays less than a couple would at Hedo. You guys are both saying the same thing, but in different ways.
If you look through most tour brochures and resort web sites it will list room prices then say "per person/double occupancy", because they charge more for single occupancy. Hedo is no different.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
DennyP #132887 04/04/2018 05:00 PM
P
Online Content
P
Sorry, I should have been more clear.
Yes, you would pay less as a single person over the normal rate for two people. But since Hedo and youth hostels are the only places I've EVER come across that give you a break for being a single, to me it's a discount. laugh

Anyway, most online booking sites only list the double occupancy rate for Hedo so they are not always the best place to book. The man who runs this forum however, can give you a quote on the preferred rate (and is also pretty good at finding a room on an otherwise sold out week).

Parracky Parrot #132888 04/04/2018 05:03 PM
D
D
Thanks for the kudos, Parrot.

redcurlsinMD #132889 04/04/2018 05:32 PM
T
T
At the risk of sounding like I'm sucking up to the boss, I'll also have to chime in with a vote for DennyP; this is the 2nd consecutive year I've booked a trip with him and regret not doing so sooner. He got me a terrific rate quickly and was very accommodating.

The Onanist #132891 04/04/2018 10:51 PM
D
D
Ditto with Denny P, we have booked with him for years now and currently have two additional trips booked with him. Safe, easy and always at the best rate....that's the way I like my vacations!!

Last edited by davenrose; 04/04/2018 10:53 PM.
redcurlsinMD #132892 04/05/2018 06:30 AM
C
C
Denny is the best! We have booked exclusively through him for almost 20 years.

1820.281N, 7820.570W - The true location of Paradise
(the intersection of Delroy Ave. and Scumba Rd.)
redcurlsinMD #132893 04/05/2018 07:35 AM
D
D
I appreciate all the kind words. My clients are the absolute BEST!

redcurlsinMD #132894 04/05/2018 08:41 AM
L
L
RedCurls,

The owner of this chat forum (DennyP) is a travel agent and a darn good one at that. Please do him the favor of having a chance to serve you. DennyP specializes in Hedo, has been multiple times and I have always had impeccable service from him.

You can certainly walk out of your room and down to the nude bar/pool/hot tub/beach in a sarong. Most often, nobody gives you a hard time if you linger around once there with a wrap on, when its obvious that its your first time. Sometimes someone or security may say something, but if you tell them you're a bit nervous, it usually is not a problem. I was there once when this adorably cuddley girl, in her mid 30's,with a few extra pounds and a killer smile.......she was sooo pretty.....(oh wait, back on track!) was there. She was in the nude pool in a bikini and stated she was very nervous about getting nekkid. No problem, everyone gave her time but also went up and talked to her and showed her how it was really no trouble. On the second day, her top came off-nobody really noticed or cared. Later that same afternoon, she took off her bottoms and swirled them around in the air and shouted "I'm finally free!", or something like that. The crowd went wild and gave her a standing ovation-all in good fun of course. As further trying to convince you that it will all be OK, I can tell you that many men (me, me, pick me!) adore ladies with a softer and curvier shape. It's all good at Hedo!

Last edited by Loni and Jim; 04/05/2018 08:46 AM.
redcurlsinMD #132895 04/05/2018 11:25 AM
R
OP Offline
R
You guys.... I DID IT! Just got off the phone with Denny and I have my invoice in hand! SQUEE!!!! Truly can't thank you all enough for the time you took to write all that luscious info.
Additional question: I'm an impatient redhead and not sure if I want to wait for a bus to fill up for an airport transfer (how long does this take?). Should I suck it up and join the bus transfer (excellent rate, btw), or if I'm willing to pay $50 for a private transfer to get my pale ass on the beach earlier, is that a dumb idea which will only save me 30 minutes in the long run? LOL!

Thanks all!

redcurlsinMD #132896 04/05/2018 11:36 AM
C
C
A private ride will likely cost more than $50 one way....closer to $70 plus tip. But maybe someone is quoting a first-timer rate.

It saves you maybe 1/2 hour or slightly more on average. Use the bus unless you are feeling rich. And for a private ride I recommend Linley Grant ("Mr. Reasonable") at linleygrant@yahoo.com 976-357-3267. Clean, safe, courteous, fast service.

Regards,
Chris
at www.chrissantilli.com
redcurlsinMD #132897 04/05/2018 12:14 PM
T
T
I have also hired Linley on my last two trips -- I highly recommend him, too. BTW, you may also book via his web site http://mrreasonableja.com/

redcurlsinMD #132898 04/05/2018 12:37 PM
L
L
Fantastic news, RedCurls! I'm laughing out loud at work just thinking about what a wonderful time I know you will have. I'm happy for you to be popping your Hedo cherry!

We have done the bus and private taxi (Rocky's is good too) but the bus isn't bad and it gives you a nice time to check out the scenery. A hint I first learned from reading Chris' book is when going from airport to hotel, sit on the right side of the bus for ocean views and the left for land views.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Loni and Jim; 04/05/2018 12:47 PM.
redcurlsinMD #132899 04/05/2018 01:55 PM
D
D
The bus also gives you the opportunity to chat with other Hedo bound guests, assuming you are on a Hedo express bus. We always enjoy chatting with vets and first timers.

redcurlsinMD #132900 04/05/2018 03:26 PM
H
Online Content
H
The bus typically stops at RIU and the Grand Palladium which are mega resorts. I find it interesting to see the lobbies and a little of their resorts. (Also you're welcome to use their rest room, if needed. Just make sure the driver knows.) However, I don't want to stay at a place where one needs a Golf Cart to get around.

Lobster season resumes on 1 July so it may be served towards the end of your vacation.

I also recommend Denny highly! I don't have a count but he has booked my trips for many years. I also take the bus. The normal wait time for me has been from 0 (hurry up the bus is leaving) to 15-20 minutes.

redcurlsinMD #132901 04/05/2018 04:05 PM
D
D
Thanks, Rick.

redcurlsinMD #132902 04/05/2018 07:25 PM
O
O
We visited Hedo last December and took the bus. I do not recommend the cheap bus!

1. It goes through every little village and stops at all the other resorts along the way and takes about 2 or more hours to get to Negtil.

2. One of the busses had a cracked windshield and had about an inch of condensed water between the double panes of one of the side windows.
I can only imagine the condition of safety items like the brakes and tires.

Next time it will be either TimAir or the private taxi

davew #132903 04/05/2018 07:27 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by davew
The bus also gives you the opportunity to chat with other Hedo bound guests, assuming you are on a Hedo express bus.

And that's the thing. There are pluses and minuses to taking the bus. In the overwhelming majority of my visits, whenever I've taken the bus, most of my fellow passengers were non-Hedo people; sometimes -- but definitely not always -- they would look askance at me once I informed the driver that Hedo was my stop. The bus is cheaper; if you're lucky and have a good group, it can be a fun ride. OTOH, if it's a full bus and everybody's going to a different hotel, then a 1:15 trip can easily turn into a 1:30 ride (or longer).

redcurlsinMD #132904 04/05/2018 07:53 PM
D
D
We like the Sun Holiday bus transfer. It is kind of the best of all worlds for us. It is a bus, so it is cost effective. It only goes to Hedo, so no additional stops. That said, we have taken other buses that stop along the way and we agree with HedoRick; it is interesting to see the other resorts. If the Sun Holiday bus is filled with the Hedo guests, it is a party. And if it is empty, it is a private transfer. It is usually somewhere between empty and full.

In any event, any way you make the transfer will be fun, and you are really only talking about a few dollars and a few minutes more or less. Better to just get off the plane, get a drink, and enjoy the journey.

David & Qian #132905 04/05/2018 08:19 PM
L
L
A private transfer, I use Rocky's Tours, is most convenient and most expensive of the ground transfer options. JTL, my opinion is they're the most basic and cheapest of the 'bus' options, is most affordable and least convenient of the surface transfer options. Sun Holiday has been around for a LONG time........ they're the 'Goldilocks' option.......... not the most expensive and not the cheapest, not the most or least expensive........... sort of 'just right' for most people. I'd recommend you consider that. Just my opinion though.....

redcurlsinMD #132906 04/05/2018 10:27 PM
P
Online Content
P
I don't think I've tried Sun Holiday. I'll have to give them a try (maybe this fall?)

Depending on when your flight returns home, a bus might mean getting up early. For a noon flight I have had to board at 7:00 am (ouch!), tough to do after a week of late nights. In that case, you might want to get a spot in Club MoBay - much better than sitting for hours in a hot airport lounge.

Parracky Parrot #132907 04/06/2018 06:47 AM
T
T

In that case, you might want to get a spot in Club MoBay - much better than sitting for hours in a hot airport lounge.

Totally agree -- I use Club MoBay every year. Definitely a worthwhile option. (although when there are families there, the kids can get a little loud)

redcurlsinMD #132908 04/06/2018 07:24 AM
D
D
We gave up taking the local a long time ago. With the Sun Holiday express, everyone is going to Hedo. Agree with Onanist regarding non-Hedo people. For us the vacation begins when we drink our first Red Stripe as the bus leaves the lot.

redcurlsinMD #132909 04/06/2018 07:32 PM
S
S
We have used Sun Holiday and enjoy it. I will also agree with Parracky Parrot and The Onanist to check out Club MoBay. We use it for both arrival and departure. For the arrival, it is like insurance. Last year our plane must have landed a little early and when we came down the ramp to immigration there was hardly anyone there. The year before there was a full que and people where still on the ramp. Then we are escorted to the lounge with complimentary Red Stripe, rum punch, and finger foods while we wait for the bus. When we checked into Sun Holiday and they confirmed our return date, I mentioned that we had Club MoBay and asked if that helped getting a later bus departure time. Of course the answer was 'ya, mon'. Not sure if we actually got a later bus time or not (10am departure for a 1:30 flight). Then we like to belly up to the Club MoBay adults only departure lounge and enjoy complimentary Red Stripe, mixed drinks, and finger foods. They also have a menu I believe from Margaritaville that you can pay and have served there.

redcurlsinMD #132910 04/07/2018 07:51 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I think, since I arrive on a Tuesday morning, that’s i can skip Club MoBay. I’m either doing the all-Hedo bus or calling Rocky’s.
Question: since naked people don’t have pockets, where do you put your room key? I was thinking about just keeping it in my beach bag with my sunscreen, but wanted to poll the experts.
Also: there are two groups going the week I am there : Dirty Perv Week and Exotic Lifestyle. Any experience with either? Advice on joining group activities if you don’t “belong” to a group?

redcurlsinMD #132911 04/07/2018 08:06 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by redcurlsinMD

Question: since naked people don’t have pockets, where do you put your room key? I was thinking about just keeping it in my beach bag with my sunscreen, but wanted to poll the experts.

Purchase a lanyard (or two) prior to your trip. When you check in and the give you the card key, ask them to punch a hole in it then attach the card key to the lanyard.

redcurlsinMD #132912 04/07/2018 08:41 AM
P
Online Content
P
I kind of liked the old metal keys - they were easier to hide, and could be attached to a nipple ring. smirk

The plastic cards they use now go bad too easily. Keep away from cell-phones, and maybe take a spare if you are out for the day (it saves you from that naked walk to the front desk). smile

redcurlsinMD #132913 04/07/2018 09:42 AM
D
D
To hold your key, we prefer the curly stretchy plastic rings that you can put on your arm or leg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
MarkThomas69, Dsw75, Jason505, Winen0t, ExhiCurio
23649 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,400
HedoDiveMstr 5,124
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,924