Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,572,292 why WWW
633,415 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Drone Regulations
#131533 12/27/2016 01:55 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
For anyone considering taking a drone to Hedo, my unsolicited suggestion is; don't.

On my trip in Sept, and again last week, I encountered the issue of people wanting to fly drones over Hedo. While Hedo currently doesn't have an official policy that directly address this, the Jamaica Civial Aviation Authority (JCAA) does.

The JCAA has a set of national drone operation regulations that are pretty clear and simple. There's a section that addresses commercial and professional operations, and there's a section that applies to hobbyists.

The full regulation document can be found at the following link:

http://www.jcaa.gov.jm/FS-GN-2015-01%20R1%20-%20Operations%20of%20UAV%20In%20Jamaica.pdf

In short, Hedo is within the required minimum clearance distance from the aerodrome. Also, to comply with the requirement, even if it weren't within the required minimum clearance distance, you'd need advance permission from Hedo to operate the unit.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the info in case anyone is interested.

Re: Drone Regulations
LyleM #131534 12/27/2016 04:29 PM
H
H
You know, my opinion is that people who fly drones don't follow the rules in many cases. So whatever the rules are, they're just going to fly their drone regardless.

And why would they be flying a drone at Hedo? Well, secretly filming naked people comes immediately to mind.

So are these people going to ask permission from Hedo? Yeah, right.

Why else would you bring a drone to Hedo?

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
LyleM #131535 12/27/2016 04:45 PM
D
D
I fly a drone. Worry not, I'd never bring one.

The Seven Mile Beach and morass have some beautiful aerial views for sure.

I've seen several nicely done clips.

I think any suspected operation of one on our beach would be very unlikely.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Doug #131537 12/27/2016 04:49 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I saw a drone operating over the Hedo beach in September. When Hedo checked into it, it was being operated from Sandals.

On Saturday when I was checking out, and arriving guest had a fairly sophisticated drone equipped with video capability with him when he arrived. It's not a new problem and won't go away on it's own.

LyleM #131539 12/27/2016 05:15 PM
D
D
Hmmmm. Seems like an issue for the Negril Commerce/Tourism Board to address.

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Doug #131540 12/27/2016 05:54 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Nope, it's the same basic aviation issue we have in the USA. Here the FAA has addressed it and in Jamaica the JCAA has addressed it. In both cases, violation of the regulations places one at risk of law enforcement action and civil penalties.

LyleM #131542 12/28/2016 06:33 AM
T
T
Why not just give one security guard a shotgun....problem solved...lol

LyleM #131543 12/28/2016 08:01 AM
H
H
So, I'm not up to speed on drone technology. If a drone has video (or camera) capability, is it sent back from the drone immediately, or does the drone have to come back before any photographic stuff can be retrieved?

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Hedo-regular #131544 12/28/2016 09:04 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by Hedo-regular
So, I'm not up to speed on drone technology. If a drone has video (or camera) capability, is it sent back from the drone immediately, or does the drone have to come back before any photographic stuff can be retrieved?

There is a lower-res video (720P) saved to your iPhone/Tablet, and a high-res (1080 or 4K) native file saved on the drone that needs to be transferred.

The technology in these drones is amazing and getting better everyday. I am thinking of buying the DJI Mavic Pro. You can fly it on windy days, 4 mile range, 4K resolution. And the technology in the drone makes it easy to fly, set courses, land. Really very impressive stuff.

If you are a Youtube fan like I am, watch Casey Niestat's DJI Mavic review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPG1Xa5Uqwo

LyleM #131550 12/28/2016 09:38 PM
H
H
Jamaican law limits the distance of the drone from the operator to about one-third of a mile.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #131666 02/06/2017 07:25 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by HedoDiveMstr
Jamaican law limits the distance of the drone from the operator to about one-third of a mile.

Right.
And I think they still have laws against marijuana use as well. So what?

LyleM #131670 02/07/2017 02:00 PM
S
S
Story on the internet; person felt his privacy ignored in his own back yard, pushed back a drone with super soaker type of water toy. "everything on the internet is true" of course, but could be fun and even work.

Larger than I want to bring in my luggage, but imagine the fun with a 60-70 foot capable water gun, over the 'nude' side, clearly marked no photography, to self enforce the rules. I think drones would be fair game. Exception would be with advance notice, the resort doing a professional promotion/ad or such. As said before, Jamaica has so many beautiful views, and the video from above is soooo good.

I remember the water balloon slighshots used at the Sandals boats cruising real close to the nude beach shore. Was fun, but wouldn't do it anymore, considering the balloon remnants getting to the marine life. Same reason not to dump your drink glasses in the ocean, the plastic straws being a hazard.

sunbob #131672 02/07/2017 03:57 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by sunbob
I remember the water balloon slighshots used at the Sandals boats cruising real close to the nude beach shore. Was fun, but wouldn't do it anymore, considering the balloon remnants getting to the marine life.

Not to mention the human toll when someone takes one to the head.

Judy

LyleM #131687 02/09/2017 11:27 AM
M
M
For the person who asked about the capabilities of video transfer etc...

The drones that I use have the simple capability of "going live" directly to facebook and other social media without even having to convert anything. Pretty scary stuff considering if you see one over the nude side at Hedo!

LyleM #131689 02/09/2017 11:33 PM
D
D
As stated in earlier posts, I am not a drone expert. Seems I should speak with MikeNTammi. I did not know you could "go live" with the video. But I am very interested in drones.

I have been shopping for a drone for a while, but have never seen one in action. This morning after my run I met a guy with a DJI Mavic Pro, the exact drone I have been most interested in. My impressions and how they relate to Hedo:

It is small. The body is about the size of your hand from your from your wrist to your finger tips. Looks bigger on the ground, but during flight the body is all you can see because the propellors are spinning.

At about 50 meters high, you could barely see it. Unless you were looking for it, you would never see it. This morning was a beautiful blue sky day, and we had clear visibility. If you were not looking for it, you never would have seen it after about 50 meters. If we were at Hedo and this drone flew over the nude pool on a sunny day, at say 30 meters, I could easily imagine it going un-noticed by anyone. Above 50 meters you would never see it. It is that small.

It was windy this morning, and the drone flew perfectly. As if there was no wind at all.

When he first started the drone on the ground, it was loud. Kind of a screaming sound. But by the time it was about 30 meters high (in about 3 seconds +/-), you could not hear it over the wind. At Hedo, you would never hear it over wind/leaves/conversation/splashing/waves and especially the music.

If you know Singapore, he flew the drone from tip of The Promontory in the Marina, over the Marina Bay Sands Skypark to the Gardens by the Bay, and back to The Promontory. Total flight time was about 20 minutes. The drone was out of sight for the entire flight.

He watched the flight on the controller using his iPhone as a screen.

While I watch his drone flight on the screen and searched the sky looking for it, I was trying to imagine the defense of a drone over Hedo, and I cannot come up with a realistic defense. The idea of using a water gun, or water balloons, maybe even a shot gun; hard to see any of those working. First; you would have to see or hear it, which you wouldn't. Second; it is so small, moves so fast, and can fly so high, it is just too agile to knock out of the sky, especially by naked drunk people partying. lol

As far as the authorities enforcing drone use in Jamaica, again, I cannot imagine how they could. I am not sure Singapore authorities allow drones...but would think they take a dim view of flying them in the Marina area and over the Sands. But after taking off, you cannot see the thing. And the operator could be miles away, as I witness today. So unless the police caught the person with the drone taking off or landing, which is not obvious, the person would not be caught.

I will say...after seeing the Mavic Pro in action this morning, I want one more than ever. Really amazing.

LyleM #131691 02/10/2017 11:49 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Both the FAA in the USA and the JCAA in Jamaica have specific regulations regarding the operation of drones near airports and local airfields. The reason is that they're considered a risk to aircraft operating in the vicinity of the airfields, in part because drones ARE hard to see visually (as the prior posting states).

Hedo is close to the airfield and the JCAA regulations also indicate that any drone operated at a resort requires permission from the resort BEFORE operating the drone. Hedo has stated they won't authorize drone ops from their property.

LyleM #131716 02/15/2017 10:47 AM
M
M
David & Qian are correct in their postings. It IS difficult to see it when it's up at high altitude. I've found that if it's below about 100 Meters, I can still hear it, but can't see it. Although with all of the fun happening at the pool/beach I doubt I'd hear it.

The ones I've used don't have a capability to "zoom in" as far as camera goes. So if I'm up at 100 meters, or even 50 meters, I don't think you'd be able to make much out as far as faces/people. Kind of like zooming in with Google earth.

The part of a drone flying really high where you couldn't see or hear it doesn't bother me for this fact. The one that bothers me would be the one who flies it directly over the beach or pool for a few minutes in which case it would easily make out the people and faces below. This could be recorded or sent via Facebook or Youtube live with even the cheapest drones.

Finally, while the FAA DOES have rules/laws with regards to where you can operate them and how high etc, there really isn't any enforcement that I can tell unless an accident occured. In other words, I'm licensed by the FAA to fly it. I'm supposed to stay within their guidelines as to height and distance regarding airports and such(and I do), but there really isn't anyone checking to see that I'm doing it properly and I don't see a way that they could. The average drone flight is a few minutes up to perhaps 20-30 minutes before the battery needs to be changed out. By then, the operator is gone and the FAA wouldn't have a clue.

I won't let it stop me from having fun at hedo for sure. it's not worth worrying about as I don't see it affecting us, YET.

One last issue. Someone coming from the USA to Jamaica has to go through customs/immigration. You would take a chance on having a drone confiscated if you don't have permission to bring it into the country. My family is going on a trip in May to the Exumas in the Bahamas, and my son and I had to get permission from the Bahamian authorities just to bring it into the country, as well as pay a tax on it(I guess in case we sell it there or something? I don't know on that one).

Anyway..I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who takes off from Hedo with one would quickly be stopped in my opinion.

MikeNTammi #131717 02/15/2017 04:53 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by MikeNTammi
David & Qian are correct in their postings. It IS difficult to see it when it's up at high altitude. I've found that if it's below about 100 Meters, I can still hear it, but can't see it. Although with all of the fun happening at the pool/beach I doubt I'd hear it.

The ones I've used don't have a capability to "zoom in" as far as camera goes. So if I'm up at 100 meters, or even 50 meters, I don't think you'd be able to make much out as far as faces/people. Kind of like zooming in with Google earth.

The part of a drone flying really high where you couldn't see or hear it doesn't bother me for this fact. The one that bothers me would be the one who flies it directly over the beach or pool for a few minutes in which case it would easily make out the people and faces below. This could be recorded or sent via Facebook or Youtube live with even the cheapest drones.

Finally, while the FAA DOES have rules/laws with regards to where you can operate them and how high etc, there really isn't any enforcement that I can tell unless an accident occured. In other words, I'm licensed by the FAA to fly it. I'm supposed to stay within their guidelines as to height and distance regarding airports and such(and I do), but there really isn't anyone checking to see that I'm doing it properly and I don't see a way that they could. The average drone flight is a few minutes up to perhaps 20-30 minutes before the battery needs to be changed out. By then, the operator is gone and the FAA wouldn't have a clue.

I won't let it stop me from having fun at hedo for sure. it's not worth worrying about as I don't see it affecting us, YET.

One last issue. Someone coming from the USA to Jamaica has to go through customs/immigration. You would take a chance on having a drone confiscated if you don't have permission to bring it into the country. My family is going on a trip in May to the Exumas in the Bahamas, and my son and I had to get permission from the Bahamian authorities just to bring it into the country, as well as pay a tax on it(I guess in case we sell it there or something? I don't know on that one).

Anyway..I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who takes off from Hedo with one would quickly be stopped in my opinion.

Last Sept there was a drone hanging out over the beach near the dock (that was being operated from someone at Sandals) and LOTS of people on the Hedo beach were aware of it.

Hedo management is concerned about any potential drone problems and have said they won't allow them to be operated from their property. Don't forget the Negril police have been hanging out around the dock and conducting some of their operations there. If Hedo asks them to respond to any drone sightings, I suspect they will.

LyleM #131718 02/16/2017 08:48 AM
P
P
I like the idea of training eagles to go after drones. Seriously.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Parracky Parrot #131719 02/16/2017 01:23 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Parracky Parrot

Maybe falconry will make a comeback!

Chicago Jake #131720 02/16/2017 01:59 PM
L
LyleM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Chicago Jake

Seems like I saw a video of a raptor killing a drone......

LyleM #131758 02/22/2017 07:51 PM
H
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
H
Originally Posted by LyleM
Originally Posted by Chicago Jake

Seems like I saw a video of a raptor killing a drone......

Dutch police are using eagles to take out drones. It looks kick ass: https://youtu.be/dc_ovddVRKE

LyleM #131882 04/14/2017 04:40 PM
D
D
Saw this video in the London Telegraph today. Maybe there is a natural deterrent to drones in Jamaica!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/14/pelican-smashes-drone-camera-spoils-jamaica-beach-view/?playlist=structure%3Anews

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
yellowdolemite, adamsbenbeck, janet tompson, 24Beach, S&KNC
23534 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,275
HedoDiveMstr 5,118
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,919
Chicago Jake 1,760