Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,590,952 why WWW
636,922 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cuban Resorts?
#130477 03/22/2016 12:06 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Since it looks like Cuba/USA relations are thawing rapidly, I have to wonder if there are any great all-inclusive, clothing optional resorts in Cuba that we should all be looking into? I thought I read that Superclubs had some properties there, but this was long ago.

Anyone know the straight dope? Thanks!.........Jake

Re: Cuban Resorts?
Chicago Jake #130484 03/22/2016 08:02 PM
H
H
Things are changing rapidly in Cuba right now.

I can't say much about all-inclusive resorts, but the Superclubs [Breezes] resorts were both on the north coast of Cuba. I think only one is there now, and may be under a different name, but I'm not sure about this.

Cayo Largo is the most well known nudist area in Cuba, but it is on the south coast. Apparently there are more areas.

Nudist beach info in Cuba

If you are traveling to Cuba from the USA, right now you have to bring a lot of cash, as credit/debit cards from US banks are not accepted. (Just got back from Cuba, and only tried a credit card once -- and found this out. Didn't try my ATM card in the only 2 ATM machines I saw, but I'm sure it would have been the same result.)

Rules for going to Cuba have been relaxed, and there are 12 types of travel you can use to go.

12 types of travel to go to Cuba

We used People to People, as we were staying in private homes (casa particulars). People in Cuba are friendly.

It is cheaper to fly to Cuba from Cancun than it is from Miami.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Chicago Jake #130490 03/23/2016 03:28 PM
D
Online Content
D
I have this one property . No doubt will be getting more.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Chicago Jake #130513 03/26/2016 09:55 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Chicago Jake
Since it looks like Cuba/USA relations are thawing rapidly, I have to wonder if there are any great all-inclusive, clothing optional resorts in Cuba that we should all be looking into? I thought I read that Superclubs had some properties there, but this was long ago.

Anyone know the straight dope? Thanks!.........Jake

Been to Cuba many times. As stated, Cayo Largo is the nudist capital of Cuba. But, it's a small island south of Cuba and the only thing there are resorts and the beach. It's not really "Cuba" it's a resort island. Trip Advisor will have lots of comments on this island.

We have stayed at Breezes Jibacoa, now called Memories Jibacoa and some other Varadero resorts. It's located about half way between Varadero and Havana, about an hours drive to either location. It's on a secluded cove, with only one other resort near by, it's adults only (TOPLESS only) and is nice for a quite stay, with a beach and easy access to Havana.
Last stay in Cuba was in Nov 2015, on Cayo Santa Maria. There is a nude beach here and a resort on this beach. There are also several other resorts (about 12) further along the beach. The nude beach though is off to one end, and is very deserted. The water is warm and clean but can be rough on windy days.
Problem with Cayo Santa Maria is that it is on an island 49 km off the east coast of Cuba, on the Atlantic. There is no real CUBA here either, just tourists.
The nearest Cuban town is a long drive on a 49km causeway back to the main island of Cuba, no Cubans live on Cayo Santa Maria, and there is a security check point to pass before getting on the causeway. It's to keep Cubans out, and tourists safe. Also stayed on Cayo Coco another island resort further down the coast of Cuba.
If you want to experience Cuba, and stay in a resort, I would suggest the Varadero area.

Every time we've been there we were told no areas where off limits. In fact when we landed in Santa Maria, the airport still had military bunkers with fighters inside, lined up on the far side of the runway.

I have pictures of the nude beach in Cayo Santa MAria (sans people).

The food in the resorts is not great. We caught a stomach bug last trip that layed us up for about 4 days. Hygiene and food handling in the buffet, is not up to Canadian or US standards. Eating in the Al-a-Cartes is a better experience. Think of Hedo food on a poor day, before Superclubs sold out. Resorts are over "Stared" so we typically drop one star from the rating when looking for a resort (nothing less than Cuban 4 star).

To Cuba's credit though they are refurbishing a lot of the resorts, in anticipation of an American invasion.

All the resorts are owned by the Cuban government, and leased to major Spanish or Canadian resort chains.
American cash could be exchanged right in the lobby, for Cuban tourist paso's, but unlike Canadian cash, there was in Nov 2015, a 10% sur charge. Any credit card will work in Cuba, as long as it isn't drawn on a USA bank. ATM's work to (well at least on our Canadian cards)
I have several reviews on Trip Advisor for Cuba.

Ray

Last edited by we2are469; 03/26/2016 09:58 PM.
Chicago Jake #130752 05/09/2016 08:50 AM
B
B
JMHO, I feel for the Cuban people but cannot in good conscience support the Communist Government by spending my US$'s in these government owned resorts. The growth in tourism has only strengthened the Communist regime there.

Anita
Chicago Jake #130759 05/10/2016 12:49 PM
L
L
We would rather support the Cuban government than the large corporations. The Cuban government provides free extensive heathcare (dental is even included which is not included in universal healthcare here in Canada)and free university educations for Cubans.

Last edited by Lucie73; 05/10/2016 12:50 PM.

"Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful...meet the sun and the wind with more of your skin...For the breath of life is the sunlight and the hand of life is the wind ....". Kahlil Gibran
Chicago Jake #130788 05/12/2016 08:09 AM
B
B
The Cuban government also decides who can go to University and what they can study, where they can live, what they can see in the media, what mail they can get and what food is available. See how well that worked in the USSR.

Anita
Chicago Jake #130876 05/24/2016 08:30 AM
T
T
Don't believe all the US propaganda. Education is universal and free. The medical care is as described. Cubans can own and sell their real estate thus they can move. I have Cuban friends. Corruption is minimal when compared to that in Jamaica for instance. Cuba produces more doctors per capita than any country in the world. Many Jamaican doctors are educated in Cuba.The doctors are sent to poor regions around the world. I have met and talked to Cuban doctors in Jamaica. I know of a Cuban lady that was provided the opportunity to move to Atlanta. She refused. She said why would I leave a place at age 50 where I receive adequate food, a minimal pension and good free medical care. Americans are limited in their education choices too. Just in a different way. Either by high tuition costs or by not having the influence to get into a Ivy league university. Of course there are token places reserved for some. Many of the resorts in Jamaica are owned by the corrupt Jamaican government where kickbacks and sweet heart deals are common. most of the "political" refugees from Cuba and other countries are in fact "economic" refugees wanting the higher wages in the US where they get essentially free medical care at various clinics and emergency rooms.

T-38 #130896 05/28/2016 01:26 PM
O
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
O
Originally Posted by T-38
Don't believe all the US propaganda. Education is universal and free. The medical care is as described. Cubans can own and sell their real estate thus they can move. I have Cuban friends. Corruption is minimal when compared to that in Jamaica for instance. Cuba produces more doctors per capita than any country in the world. Many Jamaican doctors are educated in Cuba.The doctors are sent to poor regions around the world. I have met and talked to Cuban doctors in Jamaica. I know of a Cuban lady that was provided the opportunity to move to Atlanta. She refused. She said why would I leave a place at age 50 where I receive adequate food, a minimal pension and good free medical care. Americans are limited in their education choices too. Just in a different way. Either by high tuition costs or by not having the influence to get into a Ivy league university. Of course there are token places reserved for some. Many of the resorts in Jamaica are owned by the corrupt Jamaican government where kickbacks and sweet heart deals are common. most of the "political" refugees from Cuba and other countries are in fact "economic" refugees wanting the higher wages in the US where they get essentially free medical care at various clinics and emergency rooms.

All interesting, but the flip side of the coin is that, as in the old Soviet system, you cannot change jobs or go into other lines of work than what you were trained for. If you try, you become unemployed.

In addition, you get the State wage -- Doctors and military get $140/month, while "lesser" occupations get $80/month. Yes -- both men and women get equal (starvation/slave) pay.

You don't see Cuban expatriates living in Miami getting into ramshackle boats to get to Cuba to take advantage of all those "free" benefits, do you?

Last edited by Orval_F; 05/28/2016 01:27 PM.
Chicago Jake #130900 05/30/2016 08:11 AM
D
Online Content
D
Please keep in mind that this is a travel forum and not a political forum. Thanks.

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
Chicago Jake #131165 08/31/2016 11:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
It's getting closer!

US commercial flights take off for Cuba after more than half-century.

Soon up to a maximum of 110 daily flights operated by such carriers as JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, Frontier, Southwest and Silver Airways are due to begin flying to the communist-run island, according to the US Department of Transportation.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politics/cuba-flights-commercial-security/

Last edited by Chicago Jake; 08/31/2016 11:35 AM.
Chicago Jake #131167 09/01/2016 03:15 PM
T
T
We're still not allowed to just fly there, rent a car and wander around like all other Caribbean islands.
US govt needs to get things moving.
I want to do a dive trip to Cuba...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Chargerwhelp, Mcaron1, Hotwife49, Tom.1977, 2naughty
23549 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,304
HedoDiveMstr 5,119
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605