Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,681,809 why WWW
661,876 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Enjoy Jamaica With Care
#129427 08/06/2015 07:58 AM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
We, and I certainly include myself, can sometimes have an idealistic view of Jamaica. We can sometimes have difficulty separating the tourist's Jamaica from the realistic island as a whole. Recently there was an apparent robbery of the patrons, murder of a Jamaican man and the kidnapping and sexual assault of a Canadian woman at an establishment in Cousin's Bay which is adjacent to Lucea which we all pass through on our way to Hedo.This happened apparently shortly after midnight. Not long ago, there was a murder at an establishment near the cliffs in Negril. These establishments do not regularly cater to tourists, but I know that I have, in the past, enjoyed going to "out of the way places". It seems that the large amounts of money reaped by the "lottery scammers" has caused an "imbalance" if you will amongst the criminal element in St James(MoBay), Hanover(Lucea and the Negril area) and Westmoreland(Negril area) parishes. There has been an increase in murders and retaliations. Also, I think, that the extradition of the gang leader, Dudus, to the US some time back has caused some criminals to relocate from the Kingston area. So, we all should be aware of our surroundings and whom we are with while in Jamaica. Some of the scammers are very young and may not show any discretion in attacking a place where a tourist might be. I am dismayed at the lack of candor by the Jamaican press and also by the travel forums regarding information that should be provided to visitors to Jamaica. Of course we are very fortunate to have this forum where Denny does not interfere with discussions as long as we are civil. Take care folks! I think that most of us really love Jamaica and care about our Jamaican friends.

Last edited by T-38; 08/06/2015 08:02 AM.
Re: Enjoy Jamaica With Care
T-38 #129428 08/06/2015 08:22 AM
O
O
Good points to bring up! We sometimes forget that Jamaica is a third world country and has the problems that go along with it. The resorts are mostly safe but you do increase your risk factor when you go off the property. Two years ago on our way from MoBay to Negril we passed a police/military roadblock where soldiers with automatic weapons were standing by as cars were searched. Our bus driver told us that they were looking for :violent criminals".

One year at H3 we heard a couple talking about taking an excursion up in the mountains to see where the Ganja is grown. I think that would be very risky.

Just use common sense.

"Did I.Q.s just drop sharply while I was away?"

Aliens (1986)
T-38 #129430 08/06/2015 10:43 AM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
It is funny to watch the face of a "spring breaker" who has made a "purchase" at the airport as the bus approaches one of the road checks. The road checks are ,many times, manned by both Jamaican constables and JDF (Jamaican Defense Forces) soldiers both in combat gear with some serious weapons. I have never heard of or been witness to any tourist on a bus or taxi being stopped and searched. I have rarely heard of a foreigner in a private car or rental car being stopped. Of course, a tourist bus or taxi could be stopped. I hope that we can continue to travel safely off the resort, but I know that I will not be tempted to make any after dark visits to "local" bars and clubs. Right now, I would still take the "Anchovy" road across the hills to Negril during the day time. I took a couple to visit the "ganja farm" and came around a corner to suddenly see one of the road checks with JCF and JDF. The couple just about had a heart attack, but we were casually waved through.

T-38 #129431 08/06/2015 01:31 PM
L
Online Content
L
The same advice would be appropriate for tourists anywhere, even here in the USA. Good advice for travelers anywhere; know where you're going, what you're getting into, be fully aware of your surroundings and never just assume you're safe.

Offshore #129435 08/09/2015 03:06 PM
T
T
Ganja is pretty much legal in Jamaica nowadays, same as here in RI.
Don't see any problem at all going to a grow site...

T-38 #129436 08/09/2015 04:23 PM
T
T

I agree with LyleM. Be aware of your surroundings where ever you travel. One block in the wrong direction could prove fatal. Having lived in New Orleans and Chicago, never assume you are safe.

With age comes wisdom

Ted and Chris
T-38 #129437 08/11/2015 08:16 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
With respect, advice for tourist in Jamaica is not just as it would be anywhere. Jamaica and especially St James, Hanover and Westmoreland parishes are experiencing a much increased number of shootings and retaliations. I personally think that it would be very foolish for tourists to patronize local bars(places that don't usually cater to tourists) and isolated clubs especially late at night and during the early morning hours. The present criminal element in Jamaica is comprised of rather young scammers who have made large amounts of money from the scam and older criminals that are moving in for the money. These people are not really concerned about protecting the tourist industry. In the past, I enjoyed some of the back road bars and those up in the hills, but not now.The abduction and rape of a foreign tourist near Lucea is not business as usual. I would not,however, be afraid to visit the ganja fields if I were with a responsible Jamaican driver. Wearing rose colored glasses can get you killed.

Last edited by T-38; 08/12/2015 07:53 AM.
T-38 #129455 08/14/2015 02:19 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yesterday, August 13, two foreign nurses were riding in a car at 2:15 AM in Hanover with a young man that worked in water sports at a local resort along with a fourth person when their car was blocked by another car. Individuals in the blocking car opened fire on the car with the four people killing the water sports attendant and seriously wounding two others while inflicting lesser wounds on the fourth victim. Here again, we have foreign visitors out in the wee hours. Hedo is actually located in Hanover parish which has numerous resorts. I think that this attack and the recent attack in the parish involving foreigners is an unusual turn in the violence in the region. I sometimes wonder if foreign ladies feel somewhat immune to harm if they are in the company of local males. As we have all said, let us be careful. This is not your usual rodeo!

T-38 #129472 08/16/2015 03:08 PM
H
H
So sad to read that Hanover has had double the number of murders this year compared to last and now with the injury involvement of foreigners/tourists in the popular tourist zones is definitely not your usual rodeo.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
T-38 #129506 08/23/2015 12:32 PM
P
P
I think that if you don't forget to pack your brain you should have no problems.

I also think that every instance mentioned here is hearsay and the posters are doing a dis-service to fellow travelers and Jamaica by passing them on without, at the very least, linking to where one could find out the hard cold FACTS.

Of course it might not be as alarming or sensational if you have to post the facts but who knows, it might be worse.

I choose to disregard every instance posted because of it's nature (hearsay not facts) and my belief, however naive, that some just like to stir the pot. I take every opportunity to get to know the country and it's people even if it means having a Pub Crawl driver take us to the "ghetto" (his words, not mine).

FACTS, just the FACTS please

Philly Dave
Jamaican WaterSlide Team

www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 9 - 16, 2017

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
T-38 #129507 08/23/2015 04:26 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I wonder what would constitute facts to some? I would think that fellow visitors to Jamaica would want to know of incidents that occur so that they might take precautions. These incidents-"incidents "seems like a very mild description- were reported in the two major Jamaican newspapers over the course of a week and also mentioned in Jamaican broadcast media. Should a poster go personally to the morgue and to the hospitals to verify the dead bodies and serious physical and mental wounds ? How absolutely ridiculous to think that a poster should include foot notes to satisfy the doubters.I think of this forum as a place for rather informal conversation between those that enjoy Hedo and Jamaica. If one has information that contradicts any posts, then you should certainly inform all of us. In this case I would certainly be most happy to know that the press falsely informed the public. Those that want to ignore posts should do so. Some seem to have a very naive pollyanna attitude toward travel in Jamaica. Could they be more interested in their economic situation that the well being of their fellow travelers and customers? These terrible attacks were not in Kingston but close to Hedo. In places that we all travel through. Never in decades of being on the island almost monthly, have I known of such young violent criminals. I hope that the fairly recent involvement of more US FBI and other US law enforcement in the investigation and apprehension of the "lotto scammers"will stop this violence and stop the scamming of mostly elderly US seniors. You can verify this by reading the New York Times and numerous other US newspapers in addition to the Jamaican Gleaner and the Jamaican Observer. Both the Gleaner and the Observer are in print and free online. The Gleaner is perhaps the oldest newspaper in the western hemisphere and tends to be more pro government leaning toward the Jamaican Labor Party. John Issa was on it's board and may still be. The Observer is owned by Butch Steward, owner of Sandals. Both newspapers seem somewhat reluctant to report anything that is unfavorable to the tourist industry(My opinion). But both seem to be pretty good newspapers. Jamaicans are not shy about expressing their concern about these "incidents" and both newspapers publish the public's responses.(Jamaica Gleaner August 4, 2015 and August 14, 2015 respectively)(Jamaica Observer August 5, 2015 and August 14, 2015). When we the tourist express ourselves regarding such crimes, Jamaican authorities may take more action thus helping the average Jamaican. When crime threatens the tourist industry pocketbook, those in government may be forced to notice.

Last edited by T-38; 08/23/2015 05:49 PM.
T-38 #129512 08/24/2015 03:55 PM
H
H
Well thought out and presented response, T-38.

I agree with you.

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
T-38 #129513 08/24/2015 04:35 PM
H
H
Echo T-38. Nothing in this thread is hearsay. All incidents have been reported in the very reluctant (sometimes understated) reporting in the two national news papers.

They are all very real and distressing.

And the incidents are becoming bolder and, sadly, it will not be long, I fear, before more tourist are involved with disasters in touristic venues, not in the fringes. Just takes one stray bullet from someone who does not know how to shoot or thinks a hand gun or an AK is an accurate weapon (which they are not).

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
JaywhyTurtleCove, radarrogue, Standfas, SPX33, LonnieR
23805 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,585
HedoDiveMstr 5,130
Roy in VA 2,760
Bunz z 1,929
Chicago Jake 1,802