Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,601,447 why WWW
639,712 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Emancipation/Independence week
#108038 07/27/2011 02:05 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Emancipation is August 1 (a Monday) and Independence from UK is on August 6 (a Saturday).

This probably means that folks, primarly from Kingston, will arrive on July 30th and leave on August 7th.

Negril becomes a very different place: cars clogging the roads; bars, eateries and night clubs overflowing. The typical drive from Hedo to the Cliffs is about 10 minutes but during this time the travel time will be more than 30 minutes.

Hedo will be filled with Jamaicans who will 'visit' the nude beach but not get nude -- just look (read gawk with security doing nothing). The eatery and bar staff will be stressed by the demands of these revelers. Read: Hedo will be a very different place. Hedo will be filled to the max. Once this time is over, the staff almost collapses.

On the plus side, there will be a lot of parties on the various beach locations and most will have an entrance fee.

You will see signs about this or that ATI parties posted on the road.

Some Hedo visitors like this period and some will find the experience is awful as it not the Hedo they expected experence (nude zone not nude enough with gawkers and folks sitting on the nude beach loungers fully dressed for example).

Though some would like to know.
Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
Re: Emancipation/Independence week
HedoDiveMstr #108062 07/28/2011 12:02 AM
L
L
We have went during this week and had a great time some people do not like the vibe of so many locals on the resort but we had a blast.

Alice & Lewis

Lewis&Alice #108068 07/28/2011 07:42 AM
E
E
We were at H2 during the August 1-6 period on two separate trips and we didn't notice any difference in the mix of guests or any other differences. We've heard similar accounts to Chuck's regarding early August around the Jamaican Independence Day, so maybe we got lucky and picked travel years when few Jamaicans and non-Jamaicans were both doing very little traveling.

Endless Summer
Endless Summer #108077 07/28/2011 01:02 PM
B
B
i will be arriving on august 2nd chuck, and while I appreciate the warning....i seriously doubt i will have anything other than a great time.

hedo is hedo.

Boston MikeandPatty .... Next trip Aug 20 thru 30 2012!! Can't get here soon enough!! Looking for a good daily laugh? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pattys-Got-the-Doodles/250358581695863
Boston Mike #108079 07/28/2011 01:18 PM
P
P
Well then, give us a quick report or two while there. cool

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Parracky Parrot #108080 07/28/2011 01:22 PM
H
H
Do the locals still pay about half what out of county guests pay?

Hedobill #108082 07/28/2011 03:26 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Just in case some folks are interesting: is known it as Appleton Temptation Isle. It is for the Emancipation weekend: July 29 to Aug 1 (or 2).

A companion party is called Smirnoff Dream Weekend - July 29 to August 1, 2011.

Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #108085 07/28/2011 07:16 PM
T
T
While no one can predict the future with absolute certainty, they can look at past experiences to indicate what might happen. It seems that Chuck has, as we have ,been at the resort during this time of the year. We noticed a different "vibe" at H2. There were indeed clothed guests at the nude area. And as one could expect, the guests from Jamaica were not there to necessarily party with the foreigners.When Jamaicans spend their hard earned money on a vacation, they tend to be somewhat demanding.I fully acknowledge their right to do this, but personally, we will leave the resort, which is indeed in their country, to them to enjoy during their national celebrations. I fully enjoy celebrating special events with my Jamaican friends. I am full of happiness for them during this time of the year , when we celebrate a victory of the Reggae Boyz or when Bolt sets another record. But I just do not fully enjoy H2 during this time. Chuck is merely pointing out the situation to those that might be unaware.

T-38 #108086 07/28/2011 08:08 PM
C
C
We were there last year for Holiday week. We arrived a couple of days before Independence Day and left a couple of days after Emancipation Day. We found there were differences, but none that we found at all objectionable. There were a few clothed people on the nude side, but not a whole lot. Elephant Man and his "posse" were staying in the nude rooms closest to the jacuzzi and they were around the hot tub most evenings but never got naked. The biggest difference we found was on the prude side - it was packed and hoppin'! There was a DJ everyday, soccer games on the beach, and big crowds around the nude beach bar. It was as lively as we have ever seen it on the prude side and there was a party atmosphere that usually doesn't exist on over there. It definitely seemed like virtually all of the local guests stayed on the prude side. Another difference was that the EC's were virtually nonexistent on the nude side. I suspect that many of them had friends in house and they hung out with them (and the celebs - one of the Marley sons was there too) on the prude side. We also noticed that there was a larger variety of Jamaican food on the buffet, which makes sense. Al in all, while it was different, we liked it because increased local flavor and culture. This year we had to go the week after Holiday week because of our schedules, but we wouldn't hesitate to go again during Holiday week.

CandG
CandG #108205 08/03/2011 03:32 PM
M
M
We actually were there from this past Friday till Monday- a VERY short trip for Moe's 40th birthday. The resort was definitely full with a few groups (AWOL, Chocolate Couples, etc) and a lot of locals as well. The weather was extremely rainy- not just a short 20-45 min rain, but hours of rain. On Friday and Saturday, it was only sunny from 7a-1p, then rainy off and on the rest of the day, and humid and muggy and wet (but not rainy) in the evening/night. I got killed with mosquito bites. It was sunny till about 3:30 on Sunday, then torrential downpours with thunder and lightning and power outages off and on till it cleared at around 8pm.

Overall a fun Hedo vibe, though. CandG was right- lots of people hanging out on the prude side. The Piano Bar was rocking too, especially on Saturday and Sunday nights, and I'm not even a Piano Bar kind of gal. Disco was kind of off and on. I didn't spend as much time as I normally do in the nude pool/hot tub because of the rain. I just feel miserable sitting in a pool of water while its rainy, and it got pretty chilly without the sun out. The one evening I did go to the hot tub, the chemicals were so strong that I had to get out after a few minutes- I felt like my skin was peeling off!

For the most part, no locals or gawkers on the nude side, but perhaps the rain chased many of them off. The resort thinned out a bit in the nighttime as many people went into Negril for the ATI parties. The food was great on Friday (Lobster on the buffet!), ok on Saturday, and not good at all Sunday night. AC worked great, and we had hot water the whole time too.

Hedo's MoJo
"Are you feeling Hedo's MoJo yet?"
http://hedomojo.com
mo@hedomojo.com
monieb #108216 08/04/2011 04:47 PM
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Sorry monieb but I have to disagree with you on the part about no locals or gawkers on the nude side on this past weekend. We personally saw a ton of them and the most disturbing part was the amount of camera phones being used. Hell if they wanted to party then leave the cell in the room (if they had one),get naked and join in.
When this was brought to the attention of security they did little to nothing about it. Once we were told that the person in question was a "very bad man" and to ignore it???? I'm sorry but this is completely unacceptable in our eyes and a follow up letter to management will be sent shortly.

I do believe I had the pleasure of meeting Moe and he's a really cool guy....I didn't know it was his birthday though, we would have lined up the shots if we had.

saskcouple #108217 08/04/2011 05:09 PM
T
T
Of course saskcouple is telling you "like it is". We have been at the resort during this time of the year more than once and it is always like this. Sometimes I wonder where some of these other observations originate. If one knows anything about Jamaica and is candid, they could easily predict the behavior of the guests during this time. I m not necessarily condemning the entire scene but rather just advising others. And, we just had rather avoid the resort during the first part of August.

T-38 #108219 08/04/2011 05:53 PM
C
C
We were there during the entire holiday week last year so our observations originate from our personal experience. I don't doubt what saskcouple is saying because they were there and we weren't this year. However, last year we didn't experience gawking and picture taking at all on the nude side. The "behavior of the guests" was fine and in fact, we enjoyed that week because it was different (in a good way) from the usual Hedo vacation. The nude side was virtually unaffected and the prude side was vibrant and alive. If you like the Jamaican culture, reggae music and Jamaican food, it's a good week to go.

CandG
CandG #108222 08/04/2011 08:19 PM
M
M
I didn't see the gawkers- maybe I was just oblivious! I think I was too busy trying to avoid the rain, though! I saw some people walking through, but no one lingering.

It was Moe's birthday- maybe you saw him getting spanked in the Piano Bar on Sunday night, LOL? We got him pretty good!

Um..why are my perceptions/observations discounted and saskcouple said to be "telling it like it is?" We were both there at the exact same time. I just saw things differently.

Hedo's MoJo
mo@hedomojo.com
monieb #108290 08/08/2011 05:06 AM
B
B
no gawkers this week that i can see. there are some more clothed people around, but i never feel like things are weird here.

two great groups here, chocolate couples, and awol. being a serial group avoider i was disappointed to realize there would be two take over types in the house, but both groups were AWESOME!! inclusive, fun, and open.

its been a great beginning here. trip report is unlikely, but you just never know.

one more thing...the food is FANTASTIC this week!!

Boston MikeandPatty .... Next trip Aug 20 thru 30 2012!! Can't get here soon enough!! Looking for a good daily laugh? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pattys-Got-the-Doodles/250358581695863
Boston Mike #108292 08/08/2011 06:54 AM
L
L
glad to hear you are enjoying the groups...i know it's usually not your bag baby!!

what's this i hear about nude bar renovations??

liz

Liz of Chrisandlizvt
( . ) ( . )

See you on the beach!!!
Liz in VT #108293 08/08/2011 07:31 AM
T
T
How does the old saw go? "Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"

T-38 #108295 08/08/2011 09:31 AM
M
M
?? Lying eyes? I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I was there and my eyes saw what they saw...

Mike, I'm glad you're enjoying the groups. AWOL is great! We know them from H3. Many of them witnessed me and Moe's first meeting at H3 back in 2005 and came for our wedding at H3 in 2007. They are actually the main reason we decided to go down to H2 for such a short trip this time.

Hedo's MoJo
mo@hedomojo.com
monieb #108306 08/08/2011 12:39 PM
T
T
No offense intended. Just trying to be humorous with the line from an old joke.People do, indeed, see different things according to where they are and what time they were there. I can very reasonably-information from longtime employees- believe that the observations of saskcouple are valid.And that the conduct of the "gawkers" continued for an extended time.

T-38 #108312 08/08/2011 02:32 PM
M
M
That's a good point, T-38. Boston Mike just said that he didn't see/notice any gawkers either, and it seems as though he was there for at least part of the holiday week/weekend this year too.

Things can change from minute to minute at Hedo though depending on where you are and when you're there. You can go down to the nude hot tub at 1am and its a ghost town, but by 1:15, it could be packed. If you decided not to stay, then you could have missed everything.

I'm sure that the same thing applies to the gawkers. I'm glad that we didn't see them, though! It certainly can make things uncomfortable.

Hedo's MoJo
mo@hedomojo.com
monieb #108325 08/09/2011 04:45 AM
B
B
i was here from teh day after emancipation day and am still here thru independence day.

absolutely this has been a perfect week. great people, great times, and no problem with gawkers that i can tell. what i do know is that some people are much more sensitive to the gawker thing than i am. i try not to let other people spoil my vacation no matter what (sometimes even I struggle with this), but i asked a couple of people yesterday and looked around with a more careful eye, and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary at all.

Boston Mike #108355 08/11/2011 12:31 PM
S
S
We arrived on August 4th (just returned)and would agree with Boston Mike's evaluation. Other than more clothed people on the nude side (most of who it was safe to say were not locals)it was a very 'normal' week. We chatted with a couple EC's that said the holiday events are in town, and the locals don't come to the resort much. Also that the first weekend around Emancipation day, the 5 minute drive to Negril can take 3 hours because of the influx of people to Negril.

S & S #108356 08/11/2011 02:30 PM
D
D
S&S, why do you think there were more clothed people on the nude side? Was the prude beach too crowded? Did anyone hassle them for being dressed?

davew #108358 08/11/2011 06:05 PM
D
D
Most people that come into Negril for the ATI(Appleton Temptation Island)weekend are from Kingston. The big parties go on until 5am or so..so most of these people do not make it for breakfast and barely make it to lunch..a manager told me he was confronted by people coming back to the hotel at 3am and wanted food to eat..these people sleep at Hedo, clean up and eat and then go back out to the parties at the various beach venues..many times you can hear the thumpa thumpa all night from the sound systems..I never had a problem getting a beach chair since many people were sound asleep.. for those who come in for the ATI weekend, the party is not at Hedo, the party is in town, the Jungle and the beach venues..JMHO

davew #108365 08/12/2011 07:28 AM
S
S
Davew - Security was not stopping or hassling clothed people that I saw, which is why I suspect there where many more than is "normal'. Keep in mind normally one person clothed for more than the time it takes them to put their stuff down stands out. So "a lot" was at any given time standing at the bar you might be able to spot a half dozen folks that were dressed in some fashion. In another thread, it had been talked about that for whatever reason security does not enforce the nude rule during the holidays, but it was not an issue that impacted our enjoyment.

S & S #108375 08/12/2011 09:09 PM
N
N
We were there from 7/28-8/6- through both holidays. True- there were more locals than we are used to seeing. Seemed to me most of them stayed on the prude side and only a few were seen down at the nude beach grill. No one was disrespectful or gawking. I know people will walk through the nude pool area clothed- it happens. Did they, in my opinion "gawk"? No. It was a good week. I am glad our AWOL people were welcoming- we always try to just encourage our people to "be nice"- I hate the term takeover- such an ugly connotation.
B Mike I am glad you found our group to be cool. We had a great time- much of it was a blur and for the life of me I cannot recall meeting you even though we had discussed it before we went... did I kill those brain cells or did we just miss eachother?
Funny thing- the only time we saw security harass anyone at the nude pool was at night when some of our people had a ipod boombox out and they kept coming over to tell them to turn it down. Apparently someone next door complained- or that is what we were told anyway. Eventually, Tim, whose boombox it was, told security fuck no, go away. Seemed to work. THe party continued on.
Nick (and the luscious and bruised Kitty)tm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Freddiecat, MaxnRoxie, BBC4urWife, Morgaine, Mitch&Jennifer
23560 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,316
HedoDiveMstr 5,121
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,920
Chicago Jake 1,760
Hedobill 1,356
diane 1,304
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 9
Risu 3
LyleM 3
roy 3
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics10,466
Posts117,902
Members23,560
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
dlscuba, Donna & Don, hedo happy, Hedocat, mtcblark1, saskcouple
Who's Online Now
1 members (spreglguy), 62 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod