Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,601,447 why WWW
639,712 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Salesmen on the beach....
#93243 05/11/2010 08:00 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Just a quick question to the Hedo vets: What are your thoughts about the salesmen who stroll back and forth along the beach? We recently returned, and I've gotta say, it got old fast for us- to the point of being annoying! I realize, there probably isn't too much that can be done by the security staff, as most of the traffic was down along the water. Also, my wife and I are more "beach" than "pool" lovers, so most who hang at the pool, likely aren't bothered. And, don't get me wrong, a simple "no" always worked for us. However, having to say "no" 20+ times per day gets old fast! These guys were more of a pain than the "pssssst..." guys who used to solicit from their boats.

Hopefully you can tell from my tone, I'm concerned about this, but don't know if I should be. Does that make sense? We'd never stop going to Hedo as a result of this harassment, however, it just seemed worse this April than I can recall from past visits. Security did their usual- stand and watch, shuffle (walk slowly) behind the guys, talk on their radios, etc. Also we saw a couple successful seashell sales take place. Also, an instance of a "cigarette" sales rep offering hash; the guest asked if he had percocet, and the salesmen left and returned within 10 minutes and a pill exchange took place. The guest later ingested the pills.

Am I being to much of a dad? Am I getting old? Is it my background as an EMT that scared me seeing this, or my law enforcement background causing me to simply think "WTF"??? I know there is much worse stuff that's available than oxy, and it's probably even been sampled and experimented with by guests visiting Hedo. Sorry to freak out, but just was curious if others had opinions on the issue. I'm not sure if things have gotten worse, are simply just "different", or if I was just more observant. And yes, we are all adults, and Hedo is Hedo, and we should look out for each other while "enjoying our stay". But.... <sorry, I'm rambling now>

Brett (and Jill)

Re: Salesmen on the beach....
tbonebeepy #93246 05/11/2010 08:08 AM
T
T
Just got back on Saturday and did notice the "salesman". Like you said all of them took a "no thanks" or "I got it covered" and moved on. On the upside I did find a guy selling lobster (I know it's out of season)! I must admit I was skeptical at first but the lobster her brought back was first rate. Smothered in garlic butter and served with garlic bread. It was without question the best lobster I have ever had!!!

thedarkfather #93250 05/11/2010 09:03 AM
R
R
Historically the beach along Long Bay from high water mark to low water mark is considered "public highway". That is the reason you can walk the beach all the way down to Negril (with a few exceptions where there is no beach) if you feel like it.

The salesmen long the beach are just trying to make a few bucks in the way of income. As far as drugs, I guess it's up to the individual tourist as to what they want to do. The is NO guarantee of quality, purity or for that fact actual material. I've seen some pretty screwed up people loosing days of their vacation due to overdosing and heard some scary stories of people completely freaking out and dieing. Just because you are on vacation don't leave your common sense behind. Also remember that ganja is still illegal in Jamaica as well as most other "recreational" drugs; police "stings" do occur.

The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people seem so bright until they say something?
thedarkfather #93251 05/11/2010 10:42 AM
H
H
Shame on the 'vendor' who was offering the lobster and, respectfully, you should have not purchased it, and I think that is shameful, too. The lobster season is closed for the mating season. Why? More lobster for the open season.

Just my opinion,
Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #93265 05/11/2010 02:56 PM
R
R
My wife and I are on the beach almost exclusively when at Hedo(well, as long as I can stand it and my drink holds out!) and while we have seen many 'salesmen' working the beach we have yet to have to deal with one who would not take a polite, "No Thanks" for an answer. I would hate to see that starting to change, but hopefully security would move them along if they became too much of a PITA.
As for the second part of the topic... I still and will always find it absolutley amazing and scary that anyone would ingest, smoke, inject,insert (?), (whatever drug users do with their drugs of choice) anything they bought from some guy who wanders up the beach selling it. That baffles me. Not to mention that you pretty much have to break the law in a nation not known for the hospitality of its jails and legal system. As you can see.... I am way to much of a wuss to enjoy a good illegal drug deal in a Jamaica or to use something I don't have a real good idea where it came from! Thankfully I am blessed with the ability to have a great time at Hedo even when I am totally sober! smile

Roy in VA #93266 05/11/2010 03:23 PM
P
P
Yes, I would say these guys were more obvious this last April trip. And yes, It can get Real old. But it's like Spam: as long as one person in a hundred still goes for it, it will remain.

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Parracky Parrot #93270 05/11/2010 05:03 PM
T
T
Our thoughts.
Never really paid attention. Maybe the Venders never made eye contact with us. Or us with them. Did notice some one being carried out on a flat board for a bad case of (Brownies) one Day. And I thought it was (Just) Heat stroke. What a way to waste your vacation.
As for the Lobster. Maybe some people don't realise it may not be in season. And the people selling it are just trying to make a buck, and will continue to do so. And life goes on......

Ted and Chris
tree frog #93271 05/11/2010 05:15 PM
D
D
I asked a security guard about the freelance salespersons on the beach.

They confirmed that they are allowed to walk the "public beach" as previously mentioned.

If they become "persistent" in their sales tactics, (broad definition here) then they will be asked to leave.

Last month, security "shadowed" every one of them - standing maybe 10-20 feet behind to "enforce" the rule/law.

Oddly though - in November, I was sitting on the prude beach following a scuba dive and saw a guy walking up from Sandals selling palm/straw hats.

Security radios crackled like an "APB" for this guy and with the Negril Marine Police pursuing him by boat offshore as he RAN towards Sandals.

Never saw anything like this.

Perhaps if you're "bugged" by these guys - go to security. Seems to be the simplest action to take.........

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Doug #93274 05/11/2010 06:45 PM
K
K
I too have watched Security shadow these guys too. I usually hang out by the pool but on many times am on the beach. They usually get thru the resort pretty quick .

Back again 06-20 -27 -15 Hedo Rockers !
Bare Bottom Bunch 12- 27- 03 -15 !
Hedo Amigo's 03 - 14 - 21 -15 !

keystone #93278 05/11/2010 07:00 PM
C
C
I was there this past April as well. They never bothered me in the least. In fact, I thought they were quite amusing. And as a huge believer in Free Enterprise and Capitalism, it did my heart good to see these businessmen hustling their wares. No worries, mate.....Jake

Chicago Jake #93283 05/11/2010 08:23 PM
H
H
The last 17 years we have always parked on beach down near the water. Salesmen have hit us up many times over the years. Its our vacation and we just blow them off or say no, we never would let them or any one else ruin our vacation or get us annoyed.

Bottoms up bottoms down tour 2012 soom come

HEDOMON #93290 05/12/2010 04:07 AM
L
L
I must echo Chicago Jake's comments. In February, I actually bought cigarettes for my wife from that guy. He was cheaper than the gift shop and way more convenient.

Chicago Jake #93293 05/12/2010 05:18 AM
L
L
Compared to the main beach, these guys are easy on us! We've had absolutely zero issues with the salesmen that pass thru on the beach. When I smoked (500 days quit today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the cigarette guy had cheap (and stale!) smokes.

Liz

Liz of Chrisandlizvt
( . ) ( . )

See you on the beach!!!
Liz in VT #93299 05/12/2010 07:14 AM
B
B
They don't bother me. I've known many of them for a long time. They don't even ask me anymore but they do get excited when they see me with "remember me! remeber me!" routine. One tells the entire beach on each pass though that he's my boyfriend. lol

Anita
Bunz z #93319 05/12/2010 12:38 PM
L
Online Content
L
When the mood strikes, I try to sell them anything in the immediate area that seems available..... towels, rafts, etc.

LyleM #93320 05/12/2010 12:53 PM
C
C
I'm a little afraid of them, but I'm a wus. They've never bothered me.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
chris santilli #93325 05/12/2010 03:08 PM
H
H
Those that are curious about the use of Jamaican beaches might want to have a read that this overview related to the Jamaican law on beaches (which is called foreshore).

Having read that, most consider that the Jamaican beaches (which are owned by the Crown) are free to roam for anyone within the tides (which is very narrow, actually) but law and reality are .....

Yes, it is silly
Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #93331 05/12/2010 04:28 PM
R
roy Online Content
Online Content
R
Like most of the vets here (I can't believe it has been nearly 20 years), I have seen and spoken to the "boyz" many times. A polite no thank you always works. If you stroll the long stretch of the Negril beach, you may find it difficut to walk ten yards, without being asked if you need something. However, I agree with Jake, hard working folks, even if you don't like what they are selling, can be fun to watch.

Regarding the drugs...don't be stupid, if you partake in that type of thing...know "your guy" and his stuff. We've all witnessed folks not using common sense, and that goes for alcohol as well.

Stay in school, don't do drugs and only eat lobster in season!

roy

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
roy #93338 05/12/2010 05:50 PM
R
R
Lyle,
That is funny! Kind of hard to sell anything to those guys I guess. lol

Roy in VA #93343 05/12/2010 06:13 PM
L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by Roy in VA
Lyle,
That is funny! Kind of hard to sell anything to those guys I guess. lol

Yeah, they usually get a laugh out of it too......

Chicago Jake #93344 05/12/2010 06:19 PM
H
H
When we were there in Early November there were a few guys here and there being chased out but cigaretes can be bought for 5-6 per pack and lobster my wife said was fantastic was around 8 bucks each i think all in all not to crazy maybe 1-2 an hour mostly the same guys whho would walk past you and waited for you to ask no harrassing tho- hey guys got to make a livin making a dollar or 2 a pack

Hedobob

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #93352 05/12/2010 08:52 PM
D
D
When we were there last month, many of us got a real "treat" - a mini-concert by Negril icon/concert promoter/comedian, "Mighty Bass" (pronunced BASE).

You may know him by his megaphone on his jet ski calling out to the beach "Tonight - ONE SHOW ONLY - Ziggy Marley (etc) at Bourbon Beach" - and "it's gonna be HOT-HOT-HOT !!!!!!".

Well , he was strolling the beach instead of his jet ski and provided about 5 minutes of his "stand-up comedy" routine for everyone in the jetty.

He was hysterical !!!!

He was well compensated for his time I assure you.

He gave us the local news, editorial opinion and the weather - and in true Jamaican style (did I mention to tinny-sounding megaphone ?????).

A true Hedo-highlight.....

Rosetta Stone Jamaican Edition !!!

http://bit.ly/1euljyZ
Doug #99129 11/09/2010 09:11 AM
C
C
When we were there in Oct. Lobster on the beach was going for $20. Not sure if it was in season or not. Security was warning everyone before they ate the lobster, that Hedo was not responsible if they got sick. They insisted that the Hedo customers understand this, before allowing them to take the lobsters from the boat guys. We saw this happen several times. We did see some EC's partake in Lobster. They told the Hedo guest that they needed to "taste test" it to make sure it was safe for the guest to eat. He happily shared his lobster with the scantily clad female E.C.'s. We didn't purchase one, though we got sample some that another couple bought. It was delicious!
Cowgirl

Cowgirl
8th trip: Dec. 2018
Chicago Jake #99149 11/09/2010 05:50 PM
G
G
A few years ago we watched a naked woman wade out to the blue taxi, exchange a few words, then she crawled into his boat and off the went.

Did I mention she was naked?

WTF? Where did they go? We never saw her come back.

Greg and Kelly #99152 11/09/2010 05:59 PM
H
H
I remember when the boats would come in close to try to sell you some thing and it always amased me that here we are standing there nude in the water with no pockets for money. We do see a lot of salesmen walking along the water every trip. I think the people sitting close to the water will get hit on by them more than those sitting farther back. But we have never had a problem with them. However, the salesmen who use to sell the paintings during dinner were the ones who ripped the guests off.

Doug #101984 02/01/2011 06:20 AM
S
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
S
My understanding is Mighty Bass passed away yesterday. He will be greatly missed.

Sista_Irie #101992 02/01/2011 11:06 AM
H
H
Sista_Irie, welcome to the board.

I don't remember Mighty Bass walking on the Hedo beach (saying 'Hot, hot, hot' as he advertised various shows in town), but I do remember someone coming by in a boat every now and then, using a bullhorn to inform us about a show. Was that him?

Respect.

The more you look, the more you see.
Hedo-regular #102005 02/01/2011 04:08 PM
N
N
We have never felt overly pressured in Jamaica to buy things- whether it be in the straw market or on the beach. Usually a no thank you and "respect" were all that was needed. We went to Mexico middle of last year and the vendors were incessant- we avoided the beach because of them. I hope that is not the case at hedo this year, it would be a real shame.
Cheers.
Nick (and the persistent Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #102006 02/01/2011 04:11 PM
H
H
No the salemen arent out in force and security just passes them along. The vendors on the Prude side dont bother you once u say im good or no thanks.

Last edited by Hedobob; 02/01/2011 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #102011 02/01/2011 05:49 PM
N
N
Thanks Bob- appreciate the clarification. Too many days to count.
Nick (and the hottie nurse Kitty)tm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Freddiecat, MaxnRoxie, BBC4urWife, Morgaine, Mitch&Jennifer
23560 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,316
HedoDiveMstr 5,121
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,920
Chicago Jake 1,760
Hedobill 1,356
diane 1,304
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 9
Risu 3
LyleM 3
roy 3
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics10,466
Posts117,902
Members23,560
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
dlscuba, Donna & Don, hedo happy, Hedocat, mtcblark1, saskcouple
Who's Online Now
1 members (spreglguy), 62 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod