Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,641,578 why WWW
651,221 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is the Entertainment Crew still necessary?
#101987 02/01/2011 07:40 AM
A
OP Offline
A
My age is showing here, ladies and gents. There was a day at Hedo that they had an island picnic on Booby Key Monday, a Friday night beach party, a meaningful Tuesday pajama night, a meaningful Thursday toga night, and a full schedule of daily activities including best tan, a weekly wet tee shirt contest and a body painting contest. Today's group, with 1 or 2 exceptions, wanders around in a pack, doesn't show up for the few scheduled activities, screams "Make Some Noise" at lunch and dinner, and seems to only be interested in singing and dancing.

Would a core of two or three EC's who were really interested in the guests and eager to help the guest have fun, be better?

Re: Is the Entertainment Crew still necessary?
AdirondackPaul #101989 02/01/2011 09:28 AM
T
T
This is a very good question. I have wondered for a long time why the ECs are necessary. One or two perhaps to coordinate some of the activities but, frankly, the others are a real nuisance. They interrupt your meals, interrupt your relaxation on the beach and the list could go on. I find them loud and obnoxious.I come to Jamaica to relax and enjoy myself. I do not need the loud packs of immature hooligans disrupting the place. I can remember when the nude beach was such a quite relaxing place with people talking and laughing while others read.The music at sundown was nice.I personally enjoy hearing what he person next to me at lunch is actually saying. Something to think about.

T-38 #101990 02/01/2011 09:39 AM
B
B
"I find them loud and obnoxious.I come to Jamaica to relax and enjoy myself. I do not need the loud packs of immature hooligans disrupting the place." posted by T-38

different strokes, yet again. i go there to be a loud obnoxious hooligan.

acutally that is not true...i AM a loud obnoxious hooligan and I go there to let it out!!

on the whole the ec's are take em, or leave them for me....but on my first couple of trips they really improved the experience. perhaps the ec's are something we just grow out of as we age?

All in all I have always enjoyed most of their chicanery, but i would agree that a quieter dining room would be better for me in general. that includes dinner music, lunchtime spin, and just general announcements during meal time. (one of hte reasons i eat at rasta pasta as often as it is open is to avoid the noise).

i do enjoy watching them sing and dance at the shows tho.....

Boston MikeandPatty .... Next trip Aug 20 thru 30 2012!! Can't get here soon enough!! Looking for a good daily laugh? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pattys-Got-the-Doodles/250358581695863
Boston Mike #101991 02/01/2011 10:05 AM
L
L
I think that early on in Hedo history, the ECs helped shape the environment by stimulating the vibe and the atmosphere of the place and it helped people get into the party. We now have a much larger repeater contingent that doesn't necessarily need or want that anymore, but the ECs might still be helpful for some folks that are aren't as outgoing as some of the others. Part of what their job used to be has sort of been replaced by some of the repeaters, but there may still be some amount of value to having them available for the newbies or socially challenged.

LyleM #101993 02/01/2011 11:52 AM
N
N
I'm with Boston Mike- however, sometimes it would be nice if they backed it off a little. Sometimes the crowd ain't up for it and it would be nice without the noise.
The best times I have spent with any of the EC's has been when we get to talk to them and just get to know some of them. Turns out some are pretty cool people.
Cheers!
Nick (and the screamer Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #101994 02/01/2011 12:20 PM
C
C
Glad to know I'm not alone. I would fire them all, and use the money to hire cocktail waitresses to bring me drinks at the beach. Now THAT would be good use of manpower.......Jake

Chicago Jake #101995 02/01/2011 12:56 PM
H
H
Right on Jake. We were once at a beach resort that had little flags to stick in the sand by one's lounge when a drink was needed. Hire some of those drop dead gorgeous Jamaican girls to bring drinks when my flag is up!

HedoT #101996 02/01/2011 01:08 PM
H
H
I think as the crowd has gotten older and with more returnees the EC's are not really needed for that group. We tend to make our own fun and a lot do prefer to just lay back and relax amoung friends. There are times on the prude side where a lot of the newer and younger guests hang out they probably help keep things moving. As stated before the EC's come down to the nude beach and if they cant get a game going they head back to their rooms. Long ago they would stay and just chat with the guests. Also there would be EC's assigned to the disco to help get people in the mood there. Even on the big nights such as PJ and Toga nights the EC's dont seem to be really with it. I guess it all can be blamed on the resort making them do dance routines at least 4 nights a week for the nightly entertainment. They just dont have the abilities or the personalities that the EC's of the past had such as Body Mon and Cornel.

Hedobill #101997 02/01/2011 01:30 PM
M
M
A resort needs a certain amount of new guests in addition to repeaters. EC's help the newbie enjoy the experience and become repeaters. -- a bit of what Lyle had to say.

I can remember Battle of the Sexes on our first trip and it was a real hoot. Now, Showtime is a bore; Negril's best trying to make the step to Vegas, Hollywood or Broadway – good for them, but it is a long, long way to Carnegie Hall. There is probably a place for ECs, but the current formula needs a serious, fundamental overhaul.

Last edited by Max2Deb; 02/01/2011 01:30 PM.
Max2Deb #101998 02/01/2011 01:48 PM
B
B
I’d like to see the EC’s put to good use, starting with the newbie’s, walk them through the orientation and bring back some sort of “Island Picnic” again . Beach Olympics was great 10-20 years ago until we got old and broken.

Binky #102000 02/01/2011 03:14 PM
L
L
I couldn't disagree more- I can't imagine Hedo without the ECs. I love their energy and friendliness and enjoy their singing and dancing. I just wish they could be a little less on "island time" so far as activities go....

Laura

Binky #102002 02/01/2011 03:53 PM
H
H
Honestly they are pretty scarce during the day and if they are down the nude pool its maybe a quick trivia game then gone, for the most part i would eliminate the EC's except Winston and use the money to hire solid acts different ones for the evening.

Just my opinion

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #102003 02/01/2011 04:01 PM
J
J
Is it really our choice to decide if Hedonism should have EC's or not anyway?

Chad <-----votes to keep them (not that our votes count)

Hedobob #102004 02/01/2011 04:03 PM
N
N
Our time at 2 has been limited- but they seemed to be very present at H3 most days- if what you guys are saying is true I think that is great- a little bit does go a long way at times. Look forward to seeing Nick again- I hear he is head EC, and meeting some of the others.
Nick (and the delicious Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #102007 02/01/2011 04:17 PM
F
F
I've seen the ECs get a LOT more involved when there are specific or large groups in house. Maybe they realize that not all enjoy some of their games, entertainment, etc. and don't want to be pests!?

On my only trip to III way back in 2003, the EC's had a LOT more going on around both the nude and C/O pool and it sure was a lot of fun. I kind of miss some of the games, etc. that they had people play!

I say keep the EC's and let's go for more participation from the guests sometimes!

T-38 #102008 02/01/2011 04:23 PM
T
T
Boston Mike. I hope that you understand that I agree with you. Let the guests act on their own. I can remember some very funny entertaining loud obnoxious behavior by the guests without the assistance of ECs. By the way, I can not on a personable level think of any of the staff that I do not like. The role of the EC has in my opinion become too contrived.

T-38 #102009 02/01/2011 05:28 PM
R
R
Chad,
We are not saying it is our decision. Like everything else here it is a discussion of what we like and don't like. That's all. We are discussing it. Big difference.

I don't need the EC's anymore, but I do really respect and enjoy the talent that Winston displays. I would like him to be a part of the entertainment any time anywhere.

This is partly because I am older than when I first when to Hedo, but it's also because the EC's for the most part don't do the job the way the EC's used to do the job. Cornell, Harold, Dwight, and others knew how to make the place fun without justs screaming into a microphone. This seems to be a lost art among the new breed of EC's.
Roy

Roy in VA #102010 02/01/2011 05:48 PM
C
C
At least they took away their whistles a few years ago. That was a BIG improvement. Now if we take away their microphones, they might actually be tolerable.

But I'd still rather have cocktail waitresses.

Chicago Jake #102012 02/01/2011 07:09 PM
B
B
We rather enjoy the organized nekkid bocci ball and nekkid waterslide. Seems it takes alot to get folks off the sand, even for the water slide. I think the EC's do a good job of helping get those going. I have been though when we just wanted to relax and got bothered by the insistance that we do these things. I would be fine not doing any of them but they are some of the highlights of my wifes trip. I do see where the number of EC's could be reduced.

br549 #102014 02/01/2011 09:49 PM
F
F
At H3 the EC's were very active...over at the nude pool everyday for a couple of hours doing something. Never were bothersome and generally had lots of participation. They were ALWAYS in the disco at night getting the party started! Went in October to H2 for the first time and did not see much of them...although there were two large groups, I think they spent the majority of the time with them. I hear a lot of complaints here about they do not do anything...but maybe they don't because the H2 clientel does not want them too. It would be a pretty tough job to beg for participation and not get any...maybe they have just given up on you all? While at H2 in October I talked with the ones that had moved from H3...was told by more than one they were bored and H2 was not what they were used to. One even said if it did not get better...they were gone.

HEDO AMIGOS� ~ April 14th-22nd 2018
www.facebook.com/hedoamigosrock
Face Down #102016 02/02/2011 01:14 AM
R
roy Offline
R
Back in the day, the ECs didn't have to "pull teeth" to get folks involved. Hedo was all new to some of us back in the early 90s. Roy mentioned Dwight...a huge man that didn't need to be loud to get folks involved. Mark the "sizzla" was a very talented EC Manager, that kept toga and pj nights hopping!!! The dance floor of the dining room was jammed with togas. Is it the fault of the ECs that folks don't participate any more?

Obviously, I am 20 years older now...but we still dressed for toga and pj nights. I did my best and participated in the limbo contest during the beach party this year as well. Not to mention making a fool of myself during a lunch time spin, just to help the ECs out. I don't look for "atta boys" from anyone here...I just look at it a bit differently than some. I figure that I owe a bit of energy back to Hedo...for the great times that we've enjoyed.

Again...my Hedo isn't everyone's Hedo...reading a book and relaxing in the shade is just as awesome as still doing water aerobics in the pool. Just my 2 pennies worth!

roy

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices...have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln
roy #102017 02/02/2011 03:45 AM
H
H
I agree the old school EC's like Mark and Shaka had a different approach andf didnt need to be pushy to get people involved.

Hedobob

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Chicago Jake #102019 02/02/2011 04:20 AM
B
Bob Offline
B
Jake on our last trip in Dec. there were two cocktail waitresses on the beach.
Bob

Bob #102021 02/02/2011 05:56 AM
R
R
The best interaction we had with the EC's is when they played a beer drinking game on the prude pool deck. For one they had bottled beer sitting in a large tub covered with ice for hours before the game, so we had ice cold beer that was not Red Strip. Second it was a great ice breaker for guests to get to know each other, the games were fun and were more fun the more we played and drank. Other than that, we're pretty laid back and would rather watch the activities than participate.

Just plain Chad #102029 02/02/2011 10:33 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Most of the things we debate in the hallowed halls of Denny's world are far beyond our control. If I were king.................

AdirondackPaul #102030 02/02/2011 10:56 AM
N
N
Cocktail waitresses on the beach... oh how nice would that be.
Nick (and the patient Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #102033 02/02/2011 11:58 AM
L
L
Yup, they had folks serving drinks on the nude beach area, and around the nude pool and tub in December...... very nice!

LyleM #102036 02/02/2011 03:24 PM
F
F
They were doing that in October too...nice touch! Our first trip to H3 in 2000 it happened all week. The waitress name was Nola...she is now (or at least was last year) in the front office at H3.

HEDO AMIGOS� ~ April 14th-22nd 2018
www.facebook.com/hedoamigosrock
Face Down #102037 02/02/2011 04:22 PM
F
F
Rickster, I remember playing the beer drinking contest at the prude pool right before we left on one of my first trips.

It WAS a lot of fun!!

flfungal #102038 02/02/2011 04:25 PM
F
F
Of course Matt the Mayor's Heinekin parties after the butt crackers pararde were always a lot of fun too!

I hope someone else has taken over that tradition!

Matt and I are still traveling companions and we have Heine parties of a different nature now!!

Binky #102059 02/03/2011 04:40 PM
C
C
Just got back from eight days at Hedo.

The role of the EC's has evolved, I think. They are focusing more and more on thier entertainment routines; singing and dancing, and it shows. They live on site and work/perform/socialize/live at Hedo.

The transfers from HIII were a good catch for Hedo II even though we missed some of the people who left recently such as Stephanie and Dale.

The ECs are all hard working, talented and personable and we really appreciate thier efforts.

We had a great time!

Calliope #102061 02/03/2011 05:44 PM
R
R
Not sure how many of you (other than Bookie ofcourse) have been to some Club Med Resorts, especially a few years back before they pretty much became 'family' resorts. But the EC's there are called "GO's" and they tended to be young men and women from all over the world. The work schedule they kept was brutal I thought. They would work 12 hour days for weeks on end and very often, sleep on site. After organizing and being active in tennis, volleyball, sailing, scuba, windsurfing, (this list could get very long so I will stop here) they would be around at dinner, joining guests at their tables, sharing drinks with us at the bars, and when it came time for the evening show they would be on stage. The shows got old for me after a while (mainly because of the "Crazy Signs" thing) but as I look back I am more impressed than ever. They would sing and dance, but there would also be a lot of different elements to the show. There was a comedy skit every night that was often very witty and very well performed. Back in the day they got quite ribald at times too.
Now, I am not coming out against the Hedo EC's, many of whom I like and respect, but saying that maybe their concept needs some work. The evening dance routines are just not that entertaining. Maybe more variety would help. The employees are easily as talented as the GO's at CM, but the 'innovation' and the determination to 'keep it fresh' does not seem to be there.
Roy

Last edited by Roy in VA; 02/03/2011 05:49 PM.
Calliope #102064 02/03/2011 07:21 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I don't know if the current EC's live on the grounds, but in the late 80's and 90's it wss a requirement. The job itself is grueling, as they have long hours and have to put up with the obnoxious guests with the same aplomb as with gracious guests.

I think the Entertainment crew in years gone by had more fun, in that they led the games and enjoyed being the emcee's. The group now, no insult intended, seems to be more to themselves than any other group in my memory.

AdirondackPaul #102065 02/03/2011 07:54 PM
N
N
When we were there last I enjoyed the nude beach bocce with them but never saw them much besides that.
I have talked to many at 3- crazy hours for them- lots of respect for their tolerance and endurance- can't be easy being personable all the time- I know it is impossible for me.
Nick (and the always affable Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #102073 02/04/2011 06:43 AM
B
B
i stayed in staff quarters a few years back, and was surrounded by EC's. they live up behind the dining hall and the piano bar. Nice room, but small, and they keep very strange hours from what little i could tell.

Boston MikeandPatty .... Next trip Aug 20 thru 30 2012!! Can't get here soon enough!! Looking for a good daily laugh? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pattys-Got-the-Doodles/250358581695863
Boston Mike #102077 02/04/2011 09:36 AM
N
N
Mike- how did that come about? Were you there working or providing a service?
Nick (and the curious Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #102084 02/04/2011 01:55 PM
T
T
The EC job is a very demanding and exhausting one. One of my Air Jamaican friends once worked at H2 as an EC. She said that it was almost impossible to complete the agreed upon term. There were so many nights, one after the other, with very little sleep.

T-38 #102088 02/04/2011 02:33 PM
H
H
I dont know what hours they keep now but way back when the EC's had schedules. They were given mornings off so that they could be in the disco til 4 am. But back then there were people in the disco at 4 am. It was part of their schedule to be there. They would get the disco really jumping. Our last trip the disco was a ghost town at midnight.

Binky #102136 02/06/2011 11:20 AM
A
OP Offline
A
There will never be an island picnic again, as we no longer have an island. I'll pose a question for oldtimers and newbies alike. What famous movie was shot on Booby Key in 1954, based on a Jules Verne novel? The movie starred James Mason and Kirk Douglas.

AdirondackPaul #102137 02/06/2011 11:30 AM
S
S
" Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
erotictimes77, CC420Hedo, SLYALI98, Splendidview, Rrzzkr
23683 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,449