Shout Box Usage Rules
  • Keep it clean
  • Use the Visitor Schedule to post your trip dates
  • No inflammatory remarks
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Popular Topics(Views)
3,601,447 why WWW
639,712 Class of ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Disturbing undercover sting
#100523 12/24/2010 01:07 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have just received a very disturbing report. I hope that the report is exaggerated but it comes from a very reliable source. Superclubs, it has been reported, has used an undercover agent posing as a guest wearing a "pin" video camera asking employees to sell them ganja. When the employee offers to sell the product or even directs them to a source, the scene is replayed later and the employee is fired. This tactic may also be in use at other Superclub resorts. Ganga is a staple of the Jamaican scene and is relatively harmless in my opinion. Those that have complained about the herb should, I hope, be satisfied that some long time great employees have lost their jobs right at Christmas time. The reports that I have received seem to indicate that the more senior employees were targeted.When a more senior employee is terminated with cause or resigns, they loose their severence pay which, as I understand it, saves the company money. Most will, of course, merely resign so that the cause will not be so easily revealed. I hope that I have been grossly duped in this matter. If I have been, I will buy a smoke for everyone.

Re: Disturbing undercover sting
T-38 #100524 12/24/2010 01:11 PM
L
Online Content
L
For whatever it's worth, I never heard a word about any of this during the past two weeks I was there (from either guests or staff).

LyleM #100538 12/24/2010 08:52 PM
L
L
This is a shame....so sorry to hear about this.

Last edited by Chris & Liz; 12/27/2010 07:55 AM.
Liz in VT #100541 12/24/2010 09:18 PM
H
H
As I have been informed, sting operations have, historically, been not so uncommon (sorry for the double negative). The notion of using a 'pen' video camera is a new technology inflection.

Leaving, for what ever reason, before your 'retirement' means you do lose the long earned pension, as I have been told.

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #100559 12/25/2010 02:10 PM
H
H
Thats why i go right to the source the fields, that way there no employees lose there job and i get off the property for a few hours

Bob

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #100560 12/25/2010 04:30 PM
H
H
I was told they caught 2 people 1 in Watersports and 1 of the baggage handlers. Video was the way they were caught

The opinions in this response probably will not be the opinion of the management,so when weird responses occur please send us back to Hedo ASAP and Yes im still married to my best friend
WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #100562 12/25/2010 06:11 PM
R
R
I hate to see anyone lose their job, especially in this tough economy. I suppose though that any business anywhere that suspects that an employee is dealing illegal drugs on the premisis is going to be expected to deal with it. I guess the employees will fortunate to only lose their jobs if they can avoid charges for dealing illegal drugs. I guess it does send a message to the dealers and the users of drugs though.
On a related note, I hate the idea of hidden video cameras being used to at Hedo. I wonder how well they track where those cameras are carried to on the resort and what the video is used for?

Roy in VA #100569 12/25/2010 08:37 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Things change, but for decades,Jamaican "protocol"has been that you bought your small stash from a trusted employee. Not only at H2 but at other resorts. This, in an informal way, prevented a guest from being exposed to a possible dangerous situation "out on the road" or "down the beach". I, for what it is worth, condemn the management for taking this action. The present GM may have by now forgotten an amusing story about the lady that walked out to the road soon after arriving at the resort where she made her "purchase" which turned out to be of very poor quality. She marched into the manager s office and demanded a refund. He was amazed at her request and stated that he did not know what she was talking about. She insisted that he should refund her money as the transaction was near the property. The manager replied "Lady I do not want to know what you are talking about!".That should be the present attitude unless the employees are neglecting their assigned duties or fail to use discretion. I feel that Jamaican laws regarding ganja and perhaps other small amounts of drugs would be similiar to some Latin countries where it not for the unrealistic pressure from the United States. The more liberal and realistic laws in so many countries have been rather successful. The presence of the tiny recording devices is another disturbing matter. Until this subject is somehow explained, I think that the tourism business will be hurt.

T-38 #100570 12/25/2010 09:09 PM
B
B
I suspect that the "sting" may be more about making room for certain people during the merger of Hedo 2 & 3 staff than management actually being concerned about employees brokering a pot sale. I don't know the details but sometimes personnel issues are resolved easier using the path of least resistance, be it right or wrong.

br549 #100573 12/25/2010 09:35 PM
C
C
Don't know how true this story is, but regardless I wonder that people will give up names and descriptions of "sources" on a public website.
We don't partake, but neither do we judge those who do.
Hope this is not true and that nobody loses thier livelihood going forwards either.

Peace smile

Calliope #100580 12/26/2010 08:31 AM
H
H
It happened for sure i spoke to 2 different people in different areas of the resort and i was told of 2 people they knew about with more to come possibly. Was told it was a scare tactic to clean up the resort, threatening your job is a big deal over there and my guess this will wake up some people. I understand the people who enjoy the local herbs while in Jamaica its the reason why people travel to Jamaica where it is tolerated, try the Bahamas or Dominican where it is completely illegal and often cannot be found.

WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #100583 12/26/2010 11:01 AM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I can be fooled but I do not casually pass along inaccurate information. My sources are very reliable. I will not post the names of any of those that are being discharged. This is not the first time that management has chosen this time of the year to take such action for other reasons.Having employees fear for their jobs is one management technique but one that I think is counter productive.The employement situation in Jamaica is a brutal environment but to choose his time of the year to discharge veteran employees is, to me, extremely cruel. The appeals process put into place by Jamaican law is pretty much a joke. Besides, appealing would leave a record of the alleged offense. This is not some TV soap opera, but the reality of a very hard life for our friends.

T-38 #100585 12/26/2010 11:29 AM
A
A
This is an employer who threatens to fire employees who take a tip because their advertising says, "No tipping allowed". I would think that an employee who is selling illegal drugs would be in violation of the law, as well as the employer's rules. Regardless of how the employee was caught, the fact is that they were doing something illegal. I'm sorry for them, but I can't say I find the actions of the employer to be sneaky or irresponsible.

AdirondackPaul #100589 12/26/2010 01:14 PM
C
C
Can guests still feel safe buying from employees? They don't get into trouble, I hope!

The whole point of buying from staff is to keep yourself safe from gov't & police sting operations that DO occur outside the resort, as I understand it since I don't partake but support the habit for those who enjoy it.

Regards,
Chris
"The Naked Truth About Hedonism II" New 3rd edition!
at www.chrissantilli.com
Print, audiobook and ebooks
chris santilli #100591 12/26/2010 01:39 PM
P
P
Discharging veteran employees leads to yet another problem: Replacing them with someone who can sync with the Hedo vibe, and/or not turn out to be a bigger problem for management than those removed.
To get be a long term employee you must have been doing your job well, not getting complaints from the visitors, not involved with scams or theft from the room, etc. I've run into a few new "recruits" in my visits that were downright sleezy.

Superclub's zero tolerance policy may be doing them more harm than good. Bad Karma, man. cry

All in all, I'd rather be a hippy.
Parracky Parrot #100598 12/26/2010 05:00 PM
H
H
I wont name names but both people were 15 + year employees such ashame lets face it the resort dosent pay a lot and most people that work at the resort rely on other ways of making a little extra like the maids and baggage handlers all the way down to those that hussle towels and any other hard to get things, i can imagine a person could double his pay running favors. Its a shame with tourism being down and many resorts not doing well they would use these tactics but i guess its what they consider progress to clean up its reputation

Hedobob
I dont agree with it

WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
chris santilli #100599 12/26/2010 07:13 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This situation begs many questions. How confident can quests feel while enjoying themselves? How are the pen recorders and other devices controlled by management? If the resort feels no fidelity towards a long time employee, how will they treat an unknown tourist. I, personally, feel somewhat uncomfortable at this time.

T-38 #100600 12/26/2010 07:20 PM
L
Online Content
L
Personally, I don't feel any less comfortable with Hedo using pen recorders than I do with all the cell phone cameras and other small digital recording devices that are in the resort. Regardless of their camera "policy", people are shooting snapshots and video all over the place and that should probably concern all of us.

T-38 #100601 12/26/2010 07:35 PM
R
R
How confident could someone feel if they are taking this risk while on vacation? It seems that if someone on vacation is going to purchase illegal drugs in a foreign country there will always be a certain amount of risk involved. That is their decision and I wish them all the best. I admit that since I don't partake I have no idea how much risk seems reasonable to those who do take that risk but it seems to go without saying that if you choose to pursue buying and using illegal drugs the risk of legal problems will always exist. Employees there who choose to take the risk of selling are taking an unfortunate risk as well. Again, I wish them the best since I know most are just trying to make ends meet in a tough economy. Overall though if you choose to break the law you assume the risk that goes with it. So like most things, a decision to pursue such interests in a very discreet manner would seem wise for those buying as well as those selling. I think the biggest mistake would be to assume that there is no risk.
As for the cameras, I would like to see Hedo called out to explain the cameras and to find a way to reassure the guests that their cameras are also obeying the "No Photography" rules on the nude side.

Roy in VA #100602 12/26/2010 08:27 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I mean no disrespect at all, but we are speaking on different wavelengths here. I have been in Jamaica very often for over thirty years and I think that Roy and Paul have been visiting the island for a long time. We are indeed talking about ganja here. What is next. Room searches for bammy. Maybe Patois will be restricted also. Smoking ganja has not been a serious crime in Jamaica-at least until now. This action was mean , cruel and scares the hell out of the overseas visitor.

T-38 #100604 12/26/2010 09:16 PM
L
Online Content
L
Originally Posted by T-38
I mean no disrespect at all, but we are speaking on different wavelengths here. I have been in Jamaica very often for over thirty years and I think that Roy and Paul have been visiting the island for a long time. We are indeed talking about ganja here. What is next. Room searches for bammy. Maybe Patois will be restricted also. Smoking ganja has not been a serious crime in Jamaica-at least until now. This action was mean , cruel and scares the hell out of the overseas visitor.

I've been going to Hedo a long time and I've never heard of an operation like this before. It's possible they were just kept quiet, or possibly this is just a recent thing. Any chance it's fallout from the lawsuit and someone is tightening up the operation a bit as a result? All just conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be too quick to read this as a new trend of things to come.

T-38 #100607 12/27/2010 04:33 AM
A
A
I'm puzzled by this thread. If members of this board were selling ganja on their employer's workplace would the employer be concerned? Would they fire the employees in question if they discovered them dealing? You know that answer. If a Hedo employee is dealing they know they are taking a calculated risk. End of story.

As far as selling a guest out to the police, guests are spelled "income", while employees are called "expense". There are a finite number of guests, but an overwhelming pool of Jamaicans looking for a job.

Now lets take this one step further. MANY employees, as in dozens, sell ganja in the resort. Suppose the Jamaican police put operatives on the property whose function was to root out the drug "ring" at the "Zoo". I'll bet Kevin Levee's job would be on the line- not because he was the only GM who had a major drug bust on his watch, but because of the fallout to Superclubs.

Pushing bammee and teaching patois are not illegal.

I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet and I can figure this one out. Would I feel bad if a long term employee got fired for selling drugs? Yes, especially if I knew them well.

Last edited by AdirondackPaul; 12/27/2010 04:42 AM.
AdirondackPaul #100609 12/27/2010 06:47 AM
H
H
I still fell this is a lot more about the use of video to operate this sting than selling anything illegal at the resort.

WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #100612 12/27/2010 08:50 AM
R
R
The hidden video camera part of this is by far the main issue to me. I want to know that Hedo is following the camera rules! There must be some pressure being exerted externally or perhaps as was suggested earlier in the thread this whole thing could be a way to get rid of employees in a way that saves money for SC. Nothing surprises me when it comes to SC and decision-making about saving $.
As for the rest, guests...staff...random vendors passing by, they do what they want or need to do and assume the risk that comes with it. The scary part is that I run into more people that I would have ever imagined who seem to think that ganja is legal in Jamaica, and that can certainly be a dangerous misconception. I hope none of them get in any trouble, but they are big kids and should be bright enough to know what the risks are. To each their own. People who partake of the local herb have never ever caused me a problem and those selling it have always taken is simple, polite, "No Thanks".
My one request for the users out there is that when you are done ... PLEASE don't leave your leftover illegal drugs hidden in the room! You bought it, it is your responsibility. You are not doing an intelligent 'favor' for the next person in most cases by making it seem that they bought it and hid it there. There is a very good chance that the next person does not want or need the drugs and since they are illegal there is a chance (albeit remote chance) that it could put the next person in an uncomfortable position. The polite thing to do is to not assume that everyone who goes there wants your leftovers and do something more responsible with it.
Roy

Last edited by Roy in VA; 12/27/2010 08:54 AM. Reason: miyssppelllling stuph
Roy in VA #100647 12/27/2010 09:44 PM
C
C
I'm also concerned with the video aspect of this story. Isn't it at least possible that this video will end up as evidence which would make it public if an employee decided to dispute the termination? I also think SC is overlooking the fact that the employees are providing a service to guests. I would much rather buy ganja from a trusted employee I've known for years than the guys on the beach. Either way, this so-called crackdown will not eliminate ganja from Hedo. Rather, it will just increase business for the beach vendors.

CandG
CandG #100667 12/28/2010 12:25 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Some might need a little more than coffee to understand this event if they have not yet.This is not the first "sting" operation but is the first that I know of using the pin cameras and involving such harsh treatment of so many veteran employees.I would have to give that statement some thought. Many resorts have various "understandings" with all the parties involved. There are official and unofficial"rules" regarding the police having access to the different categories of resort properties. To compare a Jamaican resort to an American business place is somewhat ridiculous in this instance. In summation, the tourist should not worry too much unless there has been a complete sea change.. I do, however, condemn the way that this whole affair was conducted. I also think that Mr Levee s position is quite secure. This was not his first "rodeo". And don t worry about the likkle gifts left in you room. Hell,no one has ever left me anything.

T-38 #100669 12/28/2010 01:04 PM
C
C
I don't have a problem with this at all. Dealing drugs is illegal, even in Jamaica. The employer is as liable as the employee if it is caught by an officer of the law. They are just protecting themselves.

I would expand this operation to fire employees who took tips, as well. If you are an employee, the solution is simple: don't take tips and don't deal drugs........Jake

Chicago Jake #100673 12/28/2010 03:21 PM
A
A
Drugs are illegal in Jamaica, as they are in the USA. Dealing on an employers premises is a breach of the rules in any country. I do not see why rules are any different. Employees may deal, but they take the risk of getting caught. If they accept that risk, they are free to do what they wish, but there ARE consequences!

Last edited by AdirondackPaul; 12/28/2010 08:04 PM.
AdirondackPaul #100836 01/01/2011 05:52 PM
N
N
ok I am ignorant.. "bammee"? Never heard the term... clarify please!
Nick (and the saucy Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #100837 01/01/2011 06:29 PM
H
H
Bammy is a cake made from the cassava woody shrub and coconut milk. Bammy is fried twice before and after being soaked in the coconut milk. It is traditionally served with spicy fried fish.

Chuck

If this be a dream do not wake me up; if not a dream, wish me no sleep
HedoDiveMstr #100914 01/02/2011 09:53 PM
N
N
Thanks Chuck! I think I have seen that- in the context with which it was mentioned- along with ganja and other things- I thought it might be something illicit. I do not begrudge the workers trying to make an extra buck, and there are certainly enough customers, but I myself do not partake of the local greenery or other pharmaceuticals.. just not my thing.
Cheers- thanks again for the reply-
Nick (and the curious Kitty)tm

nickandkitty #100928 01/03/2011 07:59 AM
H
H
Perhaps if the resort paid a fair wage its employees wouldnt rely on tips and selling drugs as a way to increase there incomes. The average hotel worker from what i understand makes 5,000 US or less per year that equals around 100 per week and depending upon years of service they work 5-6 days per week usually 10 hours per day.
Im not saying whats going on is correct by any means but desperate people do desperate things to live, eat so on. My guess especially the house keepers they make out the best because IMHO they double there salaries on any given busy week by providing great friendly service and those that choose to tip tip well for the service they provide, lets face it howe many people want there jobs? I can only imagine what they see and find. Altho both are against policy tipping, buying / selling drugs for many its a way of life and the only way to survive.

You forget tips and drugs arent the only thing being hustled at Hedo, if you need anything at all it can be gotten there,all you need is cash and someone willing to get it.Cabs, private tours, ive been offered to be brought to a prostitution house you name it it can be done and goes on daily.

If they are so worried perhaps a sting to get rid of the prostitutes is in order im sure a lot of veteran Hedonists would rather see the hookers go then people being fired for tips and Ganja...A huge hint for those that arent real smart there is a reason a lady of the night and i use that term loosely gives away her services for free because it isnt just sex she is giving away, keeping your employees on the straight and narrow is always great but using video at a place where for most people need and expect privacy may lead people to believe there privacy may be in jeopordy and choose to go elsewhere.

Just my opinion

Last edited by Hedobob; 01/03/2011 09:26 AM.

WWW.Facebook.com/hedobob
Hedobob #100937 01/03/2011 12:38 PM
A
A
In my conversations with employees in regard to their compensation I was told that they do far better than the numbers you listed, HedoBob. It is my memory that they achieve employee status after 10 years, and are contract labor prior to that point.

Again, ganja is against the law in Jamaica. There was an interesting piece on one of the History channels a few days ago saying that US presuure is behind jamaica's laws related to ganja sales and use.

Tips are not against the law.

Hedobob #100939 01/03/2011 01:23 PM
D
Online Content
D
Originally Posted by Hedobob
... if you need anything at all it can be gotten there,all you need is cash and someone willing to get it.
As I recall ... even a goat. wink

Quotes & Reservations from DennyP Travel L.L.C. - https://www.dennyp.com/dennyptravel/quote_request.htm
DennyP #100940 01/03/2011 02:08 PM
A
A
A goat for eating or for.......never mind!

AdirondackPaul #100941 01/03/2011 02:25 PM
T
T-38 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The numbers mentioned-about $100 per week- are very accurate,unfortunately.In some cases, even less. One might be surprised at how little some supervisors make. When one is hired for a position at the resort, they are usually on probation for three months before they make "staff". That time can be extended for any infractions.Sometimes these can be of a relatively minor nature.Sexual harassment and other things that would not be tolerated in the states is not uncommon. Those gifts etc can really add to one s take home income. I have seen employees develop themselves as a certain character which motivates the tourist to give them money and gifts. It is rather strange to remember them as they once were and amusing to see them away from work as responsible adults with families and very respected members of their community as they have a regular job and the added income from the likkle extra. The tourist can be demeaning and many times hard to take but as long as the cash flows the tourist can be tolerated.

Hedobob #100942 01/03/2011 02:58 PM
R
R
Originally Posted by Hedobob
Perhaps if the resort paid a fair wage its employees wouldnt rely on tips and selling drugs as a way to increase there incomes.

Highly doubt that statement, I know people who make great wages and still sell drugs, and I've never known anyone that stopped because they just had to much damn money. Most are going to stop when they're caught.

Rickster #100944 01/03/2011 03:12 PM
R
R
T-38,

Let's not forget that certain long time employees in supervisory positions have been found "redundant" for violating the resorts rules including sexual harassment. Being "fired" is like having a red spot painted on their heads making it very hard to find employment elsewhere.

The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people seem so bright until they say something?
Rickster #100945 01/03/2011 03:12 PM
M
Junior Member (<31 posts)
Junior Member (<31 posts)
M
I chatted it up with a security guard on our last trip and he claimed to make $75 us per week for 40 hours working. He also stated that was a good job in Jamica and he would never want to loose it. My guess is if one was to go to where the locals live the cost of living would have to be around the wages recieved.
I know they are not getting rich by any means but most service people I have met do so with a smile. The people that I do tip are not tipped in american dollars to make sure they will not loose their positions. it is very easy to exchange a few dollars and make everyone happy

2nd trip home 3/11/11 to 3/17/11
madman28 #100951 01/03/2011 06:24 PM
N
N
Madman- that's a novel idea- to tip with JA dollars... have to keep that in mind. Nick (and the tippable Kitty)tm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Newest Members
Freddiecat, MaxnRoxie, BBC4urWife, Morgaine, Mitch&Jennifer
23560 Registered Users
Top Posters
DennyP 6,316
HedoDiveMstr 5,121
Roy in VA 2,759
Liz in VT 2,605
Bunz z 1,920
Chicago Jake 1,760
Hedobill 1,356
diane 1,304
Top Posters(30 Days)
DennyP 9
Risu 3
LyleM 3
roy 3
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics10,466
Posts117,902
Members23,560
Most Online332
Jan 13th, 2020
Today's Birthdays
dlscuba, Donna & Don, hedo happy, Hedocat, mtcblark1, saskcouple
Who's Online Now
1 members (spreglguy), 62 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod